It's War! America Attacks Libya!

Discussion in 'America Attacks!' started by skip, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

And what has the fact that it's actually the UN instead of America to do with that this is aregilious?

2. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

Religious as in preserve our way of life. This one ostensibly, is to uphold human dignity

3. willedwill

willedwill Member

Too much; for an existing war it never could do that much. As long as psople keep lying to each other than the judgment is to believe that they modify the rule of law and order. Now , that would BE religious.

Being not religious is for the conscience of the economy and administration of prosperity and as the managing of poverty.

4. Asmodean

I don't see what religion has to do in this thread at all..

5. ThePepsiSyndrome

ThePepsiSyndrome Member

6. ThePepsiSyndrome

ThePepsiSyndrome Member

Holy crap! 112 cruise missiles fired between the US and UK.

7. Desos

Desos Senior Member

so one of the rebel planes got shot down and now they are firing missiles? i thought, that we were only supposed to use force if the ceasefire on the side of the current regime wasn't upheld.. ?

i mean dude, if there are revolutionaries in your country flying your planes around whatre you gunna do? just let them attack you?

8. ThePepsiSyndrome

ThePepsiSyndrome Member

I'm actually hearing three different stories on that.

First that it was a rebel plane that was shot down by the government. That it was a rebel plane that was shot down accidentally by other rebels. and it was a Libyan military fighter that was shot down by the rebels.

Who knows what the truth is.

9. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

Someone'll decide it :)

10. willedwill

willedwill Member

So why do we fight? Defend our cherished beliefs about liberal democracy? Are abstract documents more prior for decisive action rather than concrete documents; are concrete documents as powerful to the faithful man as our private feelings of anger? Is an abstract notion giving us justice to settle on? Do we feel free for the actions of mind over matter for what it's worth to love anything or anyone?

Submit to Allah? Makes no sense to me. But then I don't understand what that abstract consists in the deserved honorable context of doing for Others. Writing all this is easy for me; because for all we've been medium presented by the networks, I don't believe we are fighting just to get a charge out of it.
    :love:

11. Asmodean

Are you talking about Libya somewhere in that post? The reason why I support UN intervention in this conflict (and wished for that to happen for a few weeks already) is because a megalomaniac leader has gone berserk on his own people after he flipped when they told him they prefer some changes. That the majority in this country is muslim does not play any role except in your head.

12. willedwill

willedwill Member

I tend to take the left wing approach, and believe that the general actions of the people for the broad north African region should be assumed about responsibly. Egypt and Tunisia should also be considerably important. But; you're right, you're right; the freedom fighting must go on.

maybe it has something to do with the desert situation for the pre-dutiful content of the Fight.

:smash: They'd be teaching us to fight out of prejudice.

13. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

aljazeera news, it was a rebel plane victim of inauspicious friendly fire from the ground while it was attacking heavy loyalist weaponry. the pilot bailed out too late to escape death.:bigcry:

14. FLORIDA MON

FLORIDA MON Member

IMO, we have no business bombing Lybia regardless of how we feel about Gaddafi.

Why don't we intervene in Sudan or the other 20 civil confliects that are ongoing in Africa?

15. Asmodean

'We' as in individual nations may have no business there (other than our own national interests, this counts for european countries as much as US) but the UN has. Just because they don't intervene everywhere they perhaps should does not mean now this Libyan uprising has gone out of hand that the UN shouldn't aid to get that twisted retard out of his ruling position. I agree that the average nation (especially western) shouldn't act on it's own behalf (like America has proven to be star in), but this is not happening at the moment. The US does have valuable help to offer since it has info of Libyan military and govermental stuff no-one else has (which they got from their business there in the past), so it's only righteous that they provide that data for the UN now.

16. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

I don't think of concern for human dignity as a particularly religious value. It's a moral value, shared by many who aren't religious in the usual sense--ie., concerned with the institutions and doctrines surrounding belief in a deity. What is "our way of life"? Democracy, liberty, and other values I'd include in that concept are enlightenment values that were and are often opposed by traditional religion. Humanism can be secular.

17. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

I don't think of concern for human dignity as a particularly religious value. It's a moral value, shared by many who aren't religious in the usual sense--ie., concerned with the institutions and doctrines surrounding belief in a deity. What is "our way of life"? Democracy, liberty, and other values I'd include in that concept are enlightenment values that were and are often opposed by religion. Humanism can be secular.

As for the role of the United Nations, the United States, etc., in this conflict:
    (1) the United Nations was set up to "butt in" and use collective force against aggressors--to correct the "deficiencies" of the League of Nations. It's called "collective security'. But in practice it works by "legitimating" the use of force by the United States and its allies, as in the Korean "police action', the strike against Saddam, and now Libya.
    (2) the current strike against Gaddafi is a reluctant response to the dictator's slaughter of his own people. Many nations expressed their condemnation, but only a few were willing to put their armed forces where there mouths are and take effective (i.e., military) action to back up their concerns. Some apparently think a "No Fly Zone" can be maintained without using force.
    (3) the title of this thread seems to echo the Hugo Chavez-Fidel Castro thesis that Obama's action, legitimated by the U.N., is a naked act of aggression of imperialists against the innocent government of Libya for the purpose of seizing Libya's oil. I doubt that this is true, because otherwise Obama wouldn't have dithered and equivocated so much, unless that was all an act.
    (4) the alternative was to do nothing, in which case Obama and the United States would be criticized for standing by while innocents are slaughtered. Heads the critics win, tails the United States loses. Egyptians are already on our backs for not having gotten more involved there (all we did was say it was time for Mubarak to go.)
    (5) the objection that there's no rationale for intervening in Libya without intervening in so many other countries where leaders are slaughtering the opposition is well-taken. Our intervention in Libya has more to do with: (a) concern about getting on the right side of history in a region on which we depend for oil ; and (b) responding to political pressure from those asking why the United States and Obama weren't "doing something".
    (6) so here we are, flying missions of unknown scope and duration, supposedly preparing to turn the mission over to allies who can't seem to decide who is going to inherit that task, to protect rebels we know little about, and taking the usual criticism from all sides.

18. deleted

deleted Visitor

enemy=friend=foe=rebels=freedom fighters=rebels=enemy=friend=foe=rebels..

wtf..

19. lillallyloukins

lillallyloukins ⓑⓐⓡⓑⓐⓡⓘⓐⓝ

because it has never been about helping civilians, only under the guise of... if it was, they would be intervening in Bahrain too... it's all geopolitical jousting for profit and power... and it opens the way for the lie of democracy to embed itself... that's what i think anyway...

20. Youneik

Youneik Guest

Thank you, I couldn't have said it better.