Its time for us to return and save this world!

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by NowMan, Aug 14, 2013.

1. NowMan

NowMan Guest

Ok, calling all free thinkers, calling all free thinkers!! We need to start a new movement that can unite this country...Come on people! Smile on your brother. Give me your thoughts on how we can take the old hippie message and make it relevant to today.

2. StpLSD25

StpLSD25 Senior Member

I support Libertarian ideals of non violent cooperation, and free trade. The thing is, even the hippies are essentially split up today.

There are those of us who believe in total freedom, and others who unknowingly support massive government control. You can choose what you think..

3. themnax

themnax Senior Member

saving the world doesn't require a new movement, it just requires something in the water to make humans less fertile. that and the use of clean, environmentally friendly energy and transportation. there is more then one way to do all of these things, and none of them are pie in the sky.

movements that resemble what was done in the 60s and could bennifit from more support include the 99%/occupy and, certain forms of "hacktivism". and by that i don't mean targets of opportunity.

we might need some new kinds of countries and new kinds of constitutions, but those come later. and we don't need to be tearing anything down just to be tearing anything down. all that gets, even people who get away with it, should they happen to, is a bunch of stuff being torn up and having to live things being torn up, and i really doubt that would help.

what ghandi did, what dr king did, what nelson mandela did. that's hard. it means willing to let yourself be martyred like they did. it takes really exceptional fortitude to do that.

what we can all do instead, is look for ways to boycott everything we see as causing or motivating harm. most of us can find many ways to do that, at no more risk to ourselves then we are willing to accept.

though every moving forward involves some people willing accepting not only risks but the consiquences of accepting those risks.

every religion began that way, every social movement did and does. its not something you can get drunk and do on a weekend.

4. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

5. IamnotaMan

IamnotaMan I am Thor. On sabba-tickle. Still available via us

Wouldn't a war be more fun? :confused:

6. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

The fact that you mention the word 'country' makes the phrase 'saving the world' obsolete.

7. that was my first thought ...... this country..... do you want to form an exclusive club? Is "this country" the only one that deserves to be united? What is the country anyway as if I need to ask! Open your mind to the fact that the world as we know it extends beyond the boundaries of "this country"! Expand your horizons darling and you may get a better response though me thinks the cause is already lost because of some seriously insular thinking. Have a good day ;)

8. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Time to return? Where have you been?

9. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

All hippies went after Dr. Evil in 1969 when he fled to space. Don't you know anything?

10. StpLSD25

StpLSD25 Senior Member

Lol- at least we have some common knowledge. Dig!

11. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Yeah, that seems to be working.

12. Sig

Sig Senior Member

Look where that has got us

13. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

My only idea because I don't wanna play this game is...

Don't Vote.

Everyone, every single person stop voting....
    and maybe...

yea I can dream...

14. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

fuckin idiots,not voting is what's not working. Only have the people are registered to vote and only half of those vote. By not voting you allow the people in charge stay in charge. There are at least 10 people running for president you don't have to vote for a dem or rep.

15. Sig

Sig Senior Member

That doesn't logically hold up. Even when voter turnout was at its peak rates (in the 70% and 80% range) you still saw the two parties dominating the elections. What makes you think more people voting will make any damn difference? What makes you think that voting with keep the the people who are currently in charge from remaining in charge? Americans love a winner....

The system itself is broken and it cannot be fixed by voting.

16. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

70-80% of the registered voters turning out which is half the eligible voters

17. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Nope. I'd actually always voted but I'm done with it now.
    I'm tired of voting for who they are already put there as one of the two choices that don't make a different- the only thing it does is make people THINK they have some say in what goes on and who's in charge.

And yea, vote 3rd party? Have any of them ever had a chance?

18. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

Because you don't vote for them!

19. Sig

Sig Senior Member

20. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

I don't recall ever stating who I voted for ever before on here. (well that's not true I said that I voted for Obama, sadily, at least one time... )... but that still doesn't say who all I've voted for in 15 years of voting.