Its time for a nice suit, all men need to own a nice suit.

Discussion in 'Men's Issues' started by broony, Aug 13, 2011.

1. broony

broony Banned

During the first week of July my friend Joseph took his own life. His memorial was a week after his death. I wanted to wear something nice so i picked out my best pair of dark blue jeans and a collard shirt. At the memorial a lot of people were wearing typical daily cloths and a few were dressed pretty nice for the most part. A good friend of Joseph's who is a short person (a midget, but its not a nice term to call them that) showed up and man he was looking slick god damn!

He was in a full black suit, black undershirt, black striped tie, and he looked damn good. He reminded me of someone out of the matrix films. It was fucking awesome because out of all the people who went the shortest person who was 4foot looked the sharpest. He was also the only one among Josephs friends that was really dressed up. I really admired him wearing that, he showed a lot of respect for Jo and i thanked him for it.

Well it made me realize i need a custom suit, its time. I think its important for men to own one. When you see someone all your life in daily cloths, then at that one event wether sad or happy its damn impressive when one of your buddies walks in the room looking like 007 or Neo.

How many guys here own a nice suit for special occasions? I'm not talking business men really...but for us that don't wear one everyday, but do own one. I'm driving to the city today and i'm gonna look around. I hope i don't lose a friend again but bad things happen which are unfortunate. Next time i will be looking sharp. Its a sign of respect in my opinion.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Eric! likes this.
  2. deleted

deleted Visitor

your gonna like it, I guarantee it..

I admire suits worn by Conan Obrian. Dude always looks so sharp....

3. PEACEFUL LIBRA

PEACEFUL LIBRA DAMN RIGHT I'M A WEIRDO

suits make everybody look good , sorry to hear about your friend

4. KevinH

KevinH Just Floating Here

It's a good idea to have a nice suit, a nice jacket, a few nice slacks, a nice pair of shoes and a casual pair of shoes. You can mix and match and create many different looks for different occasions.

Keep in mind that you might start growing (out not up) (gaining weight). So buy in a size or 2 larger and have a good dry cleaner tailor them for you. It's not expensive for a tailor to alter clothes and as you gain weight they can easily bring them out (make them larger) because you bought a size or 2 bigger.

Save money. Buy clothes from thrift stores (I've found some amazing things there). It takes time to find good stuff at thrift stores-stop by once a week. Buy clothes on sale.

Eric! likes this.
  5. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

Gotta attend to that wardrobe gap myself. I have a pair of slacks that fit well- even after 20 years but the suit jacket that once fit perfectly was ridiculously tight around the shoulders- I gave that to my nephew several years ago but never replaced it.

Bummer about your friend... that's a very tough way to lose someone.

6. Mothman

Mothman Senior Member

Diggin the all black example you have above. I need to get one like that.

7. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

if anybody turned up at a memorial in anything but a suit here

they'd be frowned upon

i own two custom made suits and a one tux.

8. broony

broony Banned

Well i got myself a suit. Its black with a tiny bit of dark dark blue. It has small strippeds vertical. I look damn good in it i must say.

Not so sure about the jacket though it feels like i have football pads on. It doesn't look huge by any means its just something im not used to. I'm going to get another opinion before i rip the tag off.

Putting it on makes me want to go ask out the first cute girl i see.

9. SuperPsychMe

SuperPsychMe Member

You can never go wrong with a suit. Just ask this guy

[​IMG]

10. lunarverse

lunarverse The Living End

Sorry to hear about your friend Broony.

I bought a suit for my dad's funeral years ago, still fits. I wore it today actually when I went somewhere to pay my respects to a man recently departed.

Suits look good, and they make you feel good. They also bring a certain amount of respect with them. I'm not sure that I've ever been called sir when I wasn't wearing one.

Every year I wear them around Christmas time for a week or two as well. Just a special sort of thing for that time of year.

Eric! likes this.
  11. roamy

roamy Senior Member

sorry for your troubles broony r.i.p suppose its always handy for a guy ta have a suit.but i dont think your friend would have cared what you were wearing.what matters the most is that you were there for him.thats what counts.

12. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

I'm sorry that you lost your friend. it's an especially tough way to lose someone

glad you and others paid him proper respect though

I think you are right about the suits

I think that I would like to get a silk suit tailored for me in thailand someday.

13. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

no way am I buying a monkey suit...I like to show up wearing my same day everyday clothes

Ill just make sure theyre nice and clean on special occasions

you just reminded me that if i ever make a will I need to specifically state NO SUITS at my funeral...and i dont want a funeral but im sure theyll make one anyways because thats just the way my family is...Id rather they had a barbecue party or something instead and just talk about funny stories and shit rather than cry over my cold body ...funerals are so stupid just making the richest family in town more richer...fuck that

14. porkstock41

porkstock41 Every time across from me...not there!

i own a suit. two maybe, but i only wear the newer one. it's nothing too fancy, but i got measured and all that for it. pretty standard 3 button, black suit.

seems like i'm the only one that didn't buy it because of a funeral though :(

15. p0rkch0p

p0rkch0p Member

i had to attend my wifes grandmothers funeral and got a 2 suits for 300, very very nice suits, k and g outfitters where i got them took them home and got them bothe tailored for like 100 bucks

16. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

I have a hundred-dollar-ish dark jacket I got for 3 dollars at a thrift store, some sharp but simple shirts, handfull of ties for any occasion, and slacks.

Bet if you shop around you can put together a nice set of dress clothes for under 40 dollars. Maybe under 20. Mine cost a lot more than that because I insist on high quality silk ties.... but if you look you can also get good ones cheap. I'm just very particular and bought my purple paisley and various other very loud things new.

But I got one of my quiet ties out of the middle of a dirt road, too.

I particularly like how it all looks when I'm barefoot.

Piobaire likes this.
  17. broony

broony Banned

I went to a funeral and in the will he wanted no fancy dress ups or slow music of any kind. Everyone seemed to have a fun time given the situation.

When i saw the guy in the suit it just made me realize something. Made me think for a while

Plus you can dress nice without being rich. Doesn't mean you need to wear a suit but to each their own.

18. Mason Grey

Mason Grey Member

yeah a barbecue party wake sounds great + +
    if you want to remember me, then cook some fucking amazing steaks...
    and have some beers and scotch, and tell dumb stories :2thumbsup:

i like to wear guayaberas for formal things
    i have a nice suit too, i never wear it....

19. meridianwest

meridianwest Senior Member

nice idea.

i want to be cremated, so there wouldn't be a funeral for me anyways.

20. barefootconservative

barefootconservative Barefoot for God

I have a tails tuxedo.