It's getting harder to steal music

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Pressed_Rat, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Sitka

Sitka viajera

It is all coming together. The anger, the lack of common sense, the holier-than-thou attitude. I get it.

You're a hipster.

2. Spiral Sea

Spiral Sea Member

musicians are selling their music to make a living so downloading their work is like stealing someone´s paycheck.

3. Sitka

Sitka viajera

...except when you take away somebody's paycheck, they don't get to spend it.

It's more like India making generic HIV medication because they can't afford to pay the patents to drug companies.

See - I can make odious comparisons too.

4. Spiral Sea

Spiral Sea Member

If they violate the patents to produce the medicine it´s also theft.

I´m not against pirating and for years I´ve downloaded every album before even considering a purchase but i´m not going to make up excuses or false arguments to call it not stealing.

5. Resistance isn't futile

Resistance isn't futile Member

It's exactly like that.

Also I've never been a fan of the mentality of "Well it's ok to be an asshole to them because they're assholes."

And when you read the garbage that pirates use to justify their actions it comes down to basically that. They say that Hollywood and the music industry are assholes so it's ok to steal from them.

Well that still makes them thieves.

It's not just the artists involved either. There's thousands of little guys that work for Hollywood and the music industry. Guys that build sets or work in shipping or maintain the CD making machines, etc etc.

The little guy suffers and looses too. The big guy at the top is going to stay rich and piracy won't hurt him at all. But the guy loading boxes of CDs on the trucks downstairs is going to be out of a job when profit margins drop below a certain level.

So in the grand scheme pirates are stealing from their neighbours, friends, family, etc.

In many poor nations what they use is a "process patents". You can make the same drug available in the United States but you have to take a different route to making it. Which technically makes it a different version of the same drug.

But yea...
    Pirates are quick to defend what they believe is their holy war for free music, movies and apps. But they won't do shit to help provide medicien, food or access to education for the poor.

They're just young narcisstic males that really need Red's proverbial kick in the ass.

6. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

I tried to rob a record store the other day. Those security cams indeed made it very hard to steal music.

7. ThePepsiSyndrome

ThePepsiSyndrome Member

Is it the glass bottles from Mexico?

8. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

......no.

Why can't you make a coherent cogent argument?

You just make a big list of personal opinions, with no support for any of them.

We get it, you think that it's possible to steal without damaging or moving the original. You argue for a very closed world. You don't think that free speech is free speech unless it's free speech you like. You don't understand freedom (and not american style freedom, you understand that very well).

9. AquaLight

AquaLight Senior Member

Record labels get richer from song sales more than the artist. Call it what you want but I don't feel like adding more wealth to the music corporations, especially when their product is available for free.
    When any of my favorite bands are having a concert nearby, I would pay for the ticket to see them and the ticket price usually isn't cheap and covers the 'cost' of all of their songs I downloaded..so that pretty much settles it for me.

10. Spiral Sea

Spiral Sea Member

free speech has nothing to do with it unless the artist wants you to have a free copy of his work. If you just take without his permission it is simply stealing.

11. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

After Napster the music industry was changed forever - except nobody ever told the corporations that and they've tried to hamfistedly keep things as they were because it threatens their empire.

The artists have been figuring it out though. You don't have to have a label to get your stuff out there anymore. Release your own product without having to fork out to executives. Geeze, there are even bands now that have done crazy things from a Kickstart account - that's the fans paying them before they even have a product out to hold on to - So the fans are more than willing to pay an artist and the cost of an album.

Radiohead and a few other bigger names, ditched their labels and made way more cash.
    I have a fantastic collection of CD's of local bands and travelling poets.

We don't have to be stuck in this old school paradigm.

12. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

That's right. And AquaLight, can't you see that you're just trying to justify stealing? The right thing to do is to buy your songs and buy a ticket.

13. AquaLight

AquaLight Senior Member

The right thing to do in my case is to spend my money wisely, so why should I give it away for a product that is available for free? Its a free market isn't it? Just because some fat corporate cats don't wanna bother coming up with a creative way to make money and expect us all to do the 'right thing' doesn't make downloading songs stealing.

14. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

So, right and wrong are weak concepts for you? You sound like a budding capitalist.

15. AquaLight

AquaLight Senior Member

Right and wrong are matters of perspective, rather than concepts.

16. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Right and wrong are strong concepts but human practices and corporations/industry and supporting or sustaining it are not always simply right or wrong. Some people have come to the conclusion it's ok to download music and movies. This does not make them wrong by definition either. It also doesn't mean they don't buy concert tickets or t-shirts etc. and aren't supporting the artists.

17. Resistance isn't futile

Resistance isn't futile Member

Without a huge corporation most bands never get past the "bar band" stage.

As for buying a ticket to see a concert. Generally speaking sales on even that are way down.

We're in the age of shitty super hero movies and shitty music. And the reason for tihs is because big corporations aren't going to invest the time in anything that isn't sure profit maker.

If you talk to any Hollywood film maker and they'll tell you that movies like the Matrix would never be made today.

If you talk to any music big shot and they'll tell you that today they wouldn't take a chance on a group like the Rolling Stones.

Ultimately theft hurts everything and everyone

18. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

The vast majority of musicians I'm following have no ties with any corporation, and release music on their own label. "Stoopid Records" for an example. Bradley (sublime) signed Slightly Stoopid to Skunk records, the label he created. When Bradley died Stoopid started Stoopid Records, and have since signed a handful of other artists to their label. They did this in the 90's and today more and more artists are doing the same.

19. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

Checked 'em out... lol "slightly not stoned enough to eat breakfast yet stoopid" Great record title! Some good music in there too...

This is all well and good but it doesn't mean the artists make enough to pay the mortgage, if you know what I mean.

It's lovely the internet has given artists a place to make their stuff available to the world (ie; throw it in a big pile with everyone elses), but it's still those with the most PR bucks that will be seen first by the general public.
    (Freaks that make it a point to go digging around for cool music don't count lol;) most people don't have time for that, they just take what-ever pandora or others program for them)

20. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

They should just ask the freaks that do go dig around and find all the cool music. Perhaps give them a joint first :p