it's black history month in feb

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by lynsey, Jan 29, 2005.

1. peacefuljeffrey

peacefuljeffrey Senior Member

Well, did I call it or did I call it? I said some moron would call me RACIST because she didn't like what I had to say.

Doesn't change the fact that restitution is an impossible task that cannot be done with any fairness or accuracy or certainty that the right people are paying the right people.

Tell me, if we used U.S. Government money, which is taken from the millions of American citizens made up of blacks, whites, Asians, Russians, Germans, Poles, Swedish, French -- all the people who ever immigrated to become Americans -- how the fuck would that be fair? THEY had NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SLAVERY THAT IS IN THE PAST IN AMERICA. In fact, neither did anyone in MY family. So taking that money would be STEALING IT FROM ME AND OTHERS TO GIVE TO BLACKS WHO ACTUALLY WERE NEVER SLAVES.

And in fact, as blackguard was mentioning that "we" took their best property... how exactly is it that Americans possess the "best property" of blacks? Blacks were not native to the U.S., so we don't occupy any land of theirs. Those who were slaves AND SLAVERS are all long dead. I am not guilty of their crimes. At this point, legally, the black descendents of black slaves have the same opportunity to succeed that I do.

It is not racist, idiot, to recognize the fact that giving one race extra support IS racist. We're either equal or we're not. But we can't be said to be equal if we're doing more for one race than for another.

Don't use epithets against me if you don't want them used against you. YOU are the racist.

-Jeffrey

2. Soulless||Chaos

Soulless||Chaos SelfInducedExistence

I have to agree with PeacefulJeffrey on this, I mean there is no one who was a slave then alive today, nor anyone responsible for it, so what can be done about it? (or more accurately should be done about it? ) As I see it, nothing. Really, who would reparations be made to? All those that were slaves are long dead. Who would make the reparations? All those responsible are also long dead. Even if we knew exactly who it was whose ancestors did it, does that make it right to force this on them? Should guilt be hereditary? :confused:
    I'm sure I'll get shit for this, but really, there isn't anything that can be done about it. It's the past, it can't be changed. We can prevent it from happening again, but there is no point bitching about what happened, especially when it didn't happen to anyone who is here to bitch about it. I'll probably regret posting this, but fuck it. :rolleyes:

3. lynsey

lynsey Banned

geez all I said is that this month is black history month I have to write a bunch of activities and call in some speakers, it's cool but will be a lot of extra time but well worth it. you guys turn it into a hat thing-what's up with that?

4. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

jeffery is not racist. well, i dont think he is. i dont know his soul. he speaks his mind and its not always PC. if you dont like it, deal. he has that right.

5. peacefuljeffrey

LOL!!

YOU, in MY opinion, are seven feet tall and orange.

I guess, according to your logic, that makes it true.

You're funny!
    You don't like my message (which is not racist), so you call it racist just so you can dismiss it -- but you CAN'T REFUTE it.

You are weak.
    But funny!

-Jeffrey

6. Megara

Megara Banned

WHOA, please, do tell how greece learned its wisdom from egypt. So who exactly did plato/aristotle/socrates/homer/hesiod/demosthenes/aeschylus/euripides/sophocles/galen/etc get their wisdom from?

7. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

No ,I AM strong enough in my own opinion to state what I feel.

Done....and see I am orange.....feel better.

Piss off :)

8. peacefuljeffrey

Thank you to Soulless Chaos and Interval Illusion. I appreciate your defense and agreement.

It's true, I am NOT racist, in that I don't hate people or dislike them based on their race/ethnicity. People are people. All the more reason to treat them as simply that, and give up the attempts to give special favors to those of special races. Let's just start NOW judging people on their merit alone! We have to give up the "special treatment based on race" sometime.

I am not racist, and it simply points out the intellectual bankruptcy of the TRUE racists -- those who want/expect special favors for anyone of any race simply because of their race -- when they claim I am in order to try to discredit me. Nothing I have said bears any racism. I'm arguing AGAINST letting race play a factor in things.

Let me ask this: why is it fair for a black kid of affluence to get college money given to him free just because he's black? If affirmative action is about giving people a chance when things are stacked against them, explain how that holds true when the kid is black but AFFLUENT. Then a white kid in a poor family won't get help because it's assumed, "Hey, he's white, he can't possibly have a problem getting money together for college!"

Talk about racism! Racist affirmative action believes:
    - "You're black -- you MUST need help!"
    - "You're white -- you must NOT need help!"

If racism is judging people (their needs, desires, background, etc.) based on their race, then affirmative action is exactly that: racist.

-Jeffrey

9. Megara

Megara Banned

Personally i see no need to have black history month and womens 'herstory month.' Women Are Americans. Blacks are Americans. Our history should be fully integrated 12 months a year.

10. BlackGuardXIII

BlackGuardXIII fera festiva

And in fact, as blackguard was mentioning that "we" took their best property... how exactly is it that Americans possess the "best property" of blacks? Blacks were not native to the U.S., so we don't occupy any land of theirs. Those who were slaves AND SLAVERS are all long dead. I am not guilty of their crimes. At this point, legally, the black descendents of black slaves have the same opportunity to succeed that I do.
    peaceful jeffery

I love that point about the same opportunity..............that was what I used to think too. I so disagree now.
    I was ranting about the Native American crimes against humanity re: the above land grab, sorry. I got discombobulated in my apoplectic promulgation. My apologies.
    The slavery point was the '40 acres and a mule' pending lawsuit. Likely it will never see the light of day..........but if it did............literally trillions of dollars would be at stake.

My brother once claimed that he felt nowadays a white man would probably have a harder time finding a job in Vancouver, BC, than a Native man, due to all this 'reverse racism', and 'equal opportunity' stuff.

He believes it.

11. interval_illusion

i know lots of black people that think affirmative action is a good concept but not working well. i feel the same.

and a lot of things are poverty issues, not race issues yet they get turned into race issues all the time.

12. BlackGuardXIII

I agree, poverty knows no racial bias, though I can say that around here, poverty hits a larger percentage of Native Canadians. They are over represented in the downtown eastside, and in the correctional system, which I feel is a race issue.
    Native Canadian women are the lowest per capita income group in Canada. I would post a supporting document, but I lost 8 fucking gigs of all my shit last night. Just gone, poof, there one minute gone the next. fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck. Lost picx of my honey, that will be really hard to replace.........
    I advise all to back up their data, often...............I didn't and I lost, shit I don't even know all I lost, thousands of things, 5 yrs. worth. muhfuh!

13. interval_illusion

yep, and i understand that it hits diff. ethnic groups/nationalities more... like in my native thread... i state that.

14. Soulless||Chaos

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that we can not fix racism and such by trying to fix it. It's like having an off-balance scale, so you add weight to one side, or take it off the other, but it just continues to throw it off balance even more, to one side or the other. That just makes for endless compensation. Why not just take all the weight off both sides, and let it find it's own natural balance? Hopefully that makes sense.

15. interval_illusion

haha, and when will society ever be able to handle something as simple as that?

id say never.

16. Soulless||Chaos

Yeah, you're probably right about that. :rolleyes:

17. BlackGuardXIII

If you mean we all ante up into some hypothetical global pot, and start from scratch, all equal, at zero............I hear that.

Makes sense to me.
    But it likely is too simple, people like complexity, it'll never fly.

18. Epiphany

Epiphany Copacetic

What we need to do is learn about ALL different cultures. Every heritage must be explored and celebrated.

19. peacefuljeffrey

My, how sweet and touchy-feely. *gag*

Ever stop to realize that it's because of all the conflicting cultures in the world that there is hate and jealousy and racial strife?

What's wrong with, "You do your culture, I'll do mine"? Why do you feel it's anyone's right to tell anyone else that they must "celebrate" someone else's culture that they want no part of?

I think that the best (and most) we should hope for is that everyone agrees that anyone else who's not affecting them should be entitled to be left the fuck alone to live their life. THAT would solve all the strife in the world.

"They don't believe in Allah but you do? FINE. Go on and believe in Allah. Their disbelief doesn't keep you from getting your heavenly reward."

"They eat shellfish and pork? You don't? FINE. Their eating it doesn't force you to eat it."

"Their women are allowed to get educated, run for office, show their faces and bodies to whomever they want, and you don't like it? TOUGH SHIT."

-Jeffrey
    -Jeffrey

20. BlackGuardXIII

Maybe when we come together as a planet, and adopt a global calendar with 13 equal length months, 4 weeks each, we could dedicate each month to a different culture......lets see....
    1. Irish
    2. Scottish
    3. English
    4. French
    5. German, okay those are all my bits, but I'm mostly Paddy and Scotch
    6. Dutch
    7. Scandinavian
    8. Spanish
    9. Italian
    10. Austrian
    11. Belgian
    12. Canadian
    13. American
    How's that sound? 13 different ethnic groups to celebrate a united world..........lol............just being a goof..........I am totally not serious.
    It would likely have a little more diversity in reality, like..........Poland.....or Greek...........lol

must sleep...............