it's black history month in feb

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by lynsey, Jan 29, 2005.

1. lynsey

lynsey Banned

I think it's a wonderful month, wonderful opportunity for educational activities with kids but a whole lotta work for me.

2. Juggalo4ever

Juggalo4ever KingoftheChubbyGirls

I ate educational activities

3. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

I think its kinda a half assed gesture...

Sorry we destroyed your culture and everything, but hey, we'll tell our kids that Martin Luther King is a great man a couple times, and not really explain anything about what he did...

These are the same people who don't respect any modern aspects of black culture either... couldn't seperate a 'gangsta' from a poet.

I'm probably just rambling... ignore me...

4. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

well said, lodui.

5. lynsey

lynsey Banned

oh know I'm real. I did this activity where I divided up all the kids based on ethnicity and than took away rights of certain groups and repeated stereo types. A white kid asked me a question and I was like 'just like you white folks you can't ever stop talking'. the teens were shoked because I pulled it of so well, they thought I seriously lost it but it had a huge imapct. black history month is a change to change peoples attitudes and belifes not make up for the past and present inequalities.

6. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

Eh, I supose its in the eye of the beholder...

there are probably a lotta good things you can do with black history month...

But when I was in school, it just seemed so shallow.

7. TenCentArcade

TenCentArcade Banned

Why were you allowed to live past 20? I mean, really. Shut up.

8. BlackGuardXIII

BlackGuardXIII fera festiva

The bright blessed day,

The dark, sacred night....

What a wonderful world.

Mr. Cabdriver won't stop to pick me up..........

40 acres and a mule? Still waiting............

Black is the color of infinity.

9. Soulless||Chaos

Soulless||Chaos SelfInducedExistence

I know what you mean, I've never really noticed anything more than the occasional commercial informing me of the fact that it is indeed black history month. There is a month or holiday for damn near everything these days, what's the point? :confused:

10. BlackGuardXIII

to be happy, to celebrate, to appreciate, to remember,

whats wrong with more reasons to rejoice?
    I say the more reasons to party the better.
    "By whatever means necessary." Malcolm X

11. TenCentArcade

TenCentArcade Banned

Yeah, black history month really, really is a load of horse shit. Once again, white Liberals feel guilty, so they felt a need to pamper blacks and minorities in order to feel better about themselves. Just like that Affirmative Action bullshit.

12. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

It is propaganda.....it is a pat on the head at the very best and insulting at the very least. It is the PC at it's very best. NO different than a time to celebrate woman's rights. Not so different in that history just is what it is and to celebrate and educate would mean to do so without the PC and that does not happen....ever. It is spun with what is today rather than the utter despicable that was.

Celebrate black history......that would mean stating that whites were idiots with no moral concept of right or wrong. Not going to happen. It would be to expose the horrible wrongs that were done at the time and to accept that it was wrong.....not us as maybe this generation but that are forefathers were so wrong that there is no compensation for that nor apology that is sufficient.

People often wonder why groups be it blacks or women or any others come across as militant when being asked about gains.......because the gains were not made in most part by others it was made by those who were of those groups and it is belittling to "celebrate" it based upon actions taken by governments after there was no choice but to do so. Small wonder though the gains are often touted by the other side as to what they did to help........helps to ease our own conscious as to what was not right.

Nice twist on history and on who owned what, as far aa a wrong.

Celebrate.....no instead learn.

13. lynsey

lynsey Banned

and your 17 teen year old punk ass cross dressing self has the right to judge me beacause?...

14. BlackGuardXIII

fuck, who shit in your cornflakes.

" I have decided to stick with love, hate is too great a burden to bear." MLK II

15. Heat

Beacuse I think it is simply a PC thing and not an honest educational experience....someone shit in my cornflakes?

Sorry that you feel that way.....but that does not change the way I feel that it is a pat on the head and a PC move to say .....gee we say we know and here is a carrot and now hush about the things that have been done.

Just my opinion.

Thank god I do not eat cornflakes.

16. lynsey

lynsey Banned

I educate about black history all year round thank you very much. I don't need a special date to utilize opportunities to change peoples perceptions but since it is black history month I see nothing wrong with giving the topic of ethnic diversity even more attention than I already do. And elliot I am a liberal but I don't have a damn thing to feel guilty as I am pretty good about sticking to my morals and convictions.

17. BlackGuardXIII

But, celebrate the nod, however begrudgingly it is given. I say that love and joy are the best antidote to fear and hate. What a fantastically beautiful and diverse group we humans are. It don't hurt to recognize it, and cherish it.

Peace.
    Mitakuye Oyasin

18. lynsey

lynsey Banned

I' going to have to steal some of that from you okay?

19. Heat

See that is where we might differ with respect to you.....you say begrudgingly and I say with true heart, that it is the problem, that it is, begrudgingly given.

It is not that it is not reconized it is that it is not with true intentions and that it is mandated. It is what is deemed to be PC.....that does not mean it should not be taugh,t it means that if we teach then we should be teaching it according to ALL historical information, not is what is PC and acceptable to the masses....that is what is taught.

I think our views on history may just differ and for my own children I do not candy coat and say celebrate as they have rights as they should as they are humans like all others.......I would rather them know how hard it was for them to get those rights and the people that died and suffered to make sure that they did. People who have every right to celebrate their culture and gains but on their terms also with reality thrown it as to what the costs were.

Can not do the sugar without the reality.

Thank you for your thoughts.....but still glad I do not eat cornflakes.

20. BlackGuardXIII

i am blushing, you are most welcome to it. I am honored by your attention.
    Blessings.

and 10 cent arcade, what is the point of all the whining?
    want some cheese with that whine?