It might be broken...

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by come_do_drawrings, May 29, 2007.

1. come_do_drawrings

come_do_drawrings Jaime

I dropped a metal name plate on my foot last night and I now can't move my toes but there is no swelling... I don't have the money to go to the hospital but I can't walk on it...

so I guess my question is if this were your foot what would you do?

lol ...(I hope this is random enough) :D

2. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i'd need more info before i could try to offer medical advice

3. mamaKCita

mamaKCita fucking stupid.

i've broken my foot a few times. all they do is wrap the crap out of it (if it's a fracture, not a compound break) and give you ibuprofen. keep it elevated and ice it.

4. come_do_drawrings

come_do_drawrings Jaime

eh.. I'm not really looking for medical advice

but what kind of information would you need?
    the metal weighs about 15 pounds and hit my foot from about four feet high
    It hit between my third & fourth metatarsal... there is a quarter size bruise
    and I can bend my last three toes down about 20% but I can not raise them at all
    there is sharp pain when pressure is applied to either the top or the bottom of my foot
    is that the kind of info you want?

blahhh.... :( I feel like such a baby but it hurtssss :(

Thanks KC I've had it wrapped all night and elevated too
    but now I have four kids that want ... need all kinds of attention

5. mamaKCita

yeah, man. i rolled my foot, broke 3 metatarsals. then i dropped a crock pot on the same foot. i've broken my toes, i've torn ligaments in my ankle. it was always the same thing, wrapped tight, iced and elevated with an anti-inflammatory. but still, the first time i broke my foot, i didn't do anything about it and two days later i was running a vicious fever. it cost me about $300 to get it taken care of at the ER, and that included the dugs. i paid that off over the next year and a half, considering i could only afford $25/month.

6. Weaveworld

Weaveworld wayward

Man, that sucks! :(

I just went to a damned clinic yesterday because my back is so fucked up I can't stand up straight. They were the only ones open, costed $115.00 bucks. There's cheaper one that is $70.00 bucks, but they were closed.
    They gave me an excuse saying I have to go back to work tomorow. I still can't straighten up though. Certainly can't lift residents like this, so it looks like I'm going to lose this job anyways.....Sorry, I'm rambling on here..

So, you could try a clinic, but be prepared to pay for xrays too. It is still cheaper than the emergency room.

I hope your foot heals fast.

7. Posthumous

Posthumous Resident Smartass

We were playing churchyard and I was shoeless as usual. I caught a TD pass but stubbed my foot on the root of an oak tree. Played a few more downs but decided to go home because of the pain. Limping away, the kids were calling me a pussy for breaking sides; turns out I'd broken 3 toes in 4 places.

8. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

All they did when I broke the metatarsal bones in my right foot was wrap it, and then I had to wear one of those orthopedic shoes. I forget how long I had to wear it though. 4-6 weeks perhaps?

The first doctor (a podiatrist) I went to wanted to do surgery on me, said it would take me 6 weeks off my foot. Um, not happening, I told the doctor in tears that I've got three kids and I simply cannot be off of it for that long. Not to mention I didn't want to have to undergo surgery! She had me in this huge brace, I'm talking from my foot up to my knee, said I needed to keep the bones in line. That brace cost a pretty penny too. After I got my second opinion, my husband went up to her office with the brace and demanded that they credit us. He told them how they were only trying to swindle money from us, that I had a second opinion and he said surgery wasn't necessary at all. You know what? They took the brace back. Credited us the $350.00 for it. My husband, you don't mess with that guy when it comes to things like that, he won't stand for it. ;)

So anyway my second opinion with an orthopedic surgeon was good, he said I didn't need surgery at all, told me to wrap it, and wear the shoe. After that? Good as new.

But I don't know, if it keeps up, I'd get it checked it just to be sure it's not something that needs more attention than what you're already doing. You don't have any medical insurance? I mean, I'd keep doing what you're doing and try to take it easy (yeah, I know, easier said than done!) but if it doesn't improve...the problem with injuries to the foot is, if they don't heal properly, they can give you some big troubles down the line. Your feet support the weight of your entire body, so problems there are definitely not good.

I hope you feel better sweetie. You know, you might have just really bruised it badly...

Oh, and unless you're in some major pain, I'd definitely avoid going to the ER. Talk about overcharging! See if you can get in with your primary care physician first. Especially if they have an x-ray at the office! You'll save a lot more cash.

{{{Hugs}}}

9. Allonym

Allonym cheesecake slut

if it was my foot, id be in the er super fast. then again i live in canada and dont have to pay for er visits. wrap it, ice it, elevate it, use it as little as possible. consider borrowing a cane if your having trouble putting your weight on that foot to walk normlaly (hurrah for canes, they leave you with one fre ehand still unlike crutches, though contemplate borrowing crutches if you rfoot is relaly bothering you)

10. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i just meant i'd have to see the foot basically

11. mamaKCita

i'll always recommend seeing a doctor. i'm just that sort. but that's specifically for "just in case." because as any mother who's raced her children to the ER too many times, and has been there a few times herself, there's loads of time where you can guess pretty accurately what's going to happen.

mind you, these are circumstances liek dancerannie's. these are menial injuries where it's a pain in the ass, and there's not much they can do for you except wrap it, ice it, and prescribe some hydrocodone. which might be worthwhile if you've small children to contend with.

12. mamaKCita

which, forgive me, may be the reason why your social medical system is tottering so heavily. but canes do so totally kick ass.

13. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

ever seen Saw?

14. Allonym

Allonym cheesecake slut

right, goig to the er when ive hurt my foot so bad i can barely walk on it, definitely killing my health car esystem right there. particualrly when the ambulance dropped me off at 6am at the er, before any walk in clinics were open (hah, walk in, i couldnt even stand last time i hurt myself like that)... yep, yep, im killing it by using services i pay for via taxes when im legitimately hurt :rolleyes:

(no, i know you mean as a generality, but ive only ever been ot the er once when it wasnt somethign worth seeing the er for in twenty some years, and i tend to keep my hypochondriac ass at home and torment myself mentally instead over what i may or may not have, til i fall asleep and forget about my idiocy)