"It Can't Happen Here" by Sinclair Lewis

Discussion in 'Political Books' started by PacifistEgalitarian, Apr 16, 2014.

1. PacifistEgalitarian

PacifistEgalitarian Member

Written during the 1930's, this is Sinclair Lewis' novel about a fascist takeover of the United States.

http://www.feedbooks.com/book/3659/it-can-t-happen-here

"The D.A.R. (reflected the cynic, Doremus Jessop, that evening) is a somewhat confusing organization-as confusing as Theosophy, Relativity, or the Hindu Vanishing Boy Trick, all three of which it resembles. It is composed of females who spend one half their waking hours boasting of being descended from the seditious American colonists of 1776, and the other and more ardent half in attacking all contemporaries who believe in precisely the principles for which those ancestors struggled." It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis

2. ibiza

ibiza Visitor

The Coal War, by Lewis is thought-provoking.

3. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

Lewis is great and so is Jack London who wrote The Iron Heel.

4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Looks like it did happen there. Lol.

5. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Sinclair Lewis: "when fascism come to America , it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." Annnnnnd--here we are.

6. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I still think it's a hyperbolic statement to say the United States is a Fascist country.

Ironically enough, those who shout "Fascist! Fascist!" at every turn are usually the ones who want it to be a Fascist country. It's like the people who think they are "more American than anybody" who like the idea of forcing--in a free nation, mind you--people to stand up during a song about how free we are to do what we want.

7. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

it isn't, but there are current tendencies with the new occupants. Trump, in fact thinks he can just issue edicts and they should happen. Sinclair Lewis would NOT have been in favor of fascists. Nor would I.

8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

thread 4 years in the making!

9. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I read "The Machine Stops", for my English exams [n 1965. The short story by EM Forster was considered a work of pure fiction at the time. but I often wonder how neat to the truth it could become.
    Today, we upgrade technology based on previous generations, but many of the original designers are no longer alive. We are fast developing a situation where no one fully understands what they are doing from the roots up. I have yet to meet an engineer who can repair a cellphone or computer motherboard at component level without computer diagnostics and even our cars are fast going in the same direction

You can read the short story on this link.

THE MACHINE STOPS ... E.M. Forster

quark likes this.
  10. ibiza

ibiza Visitor

Excuse me, I was confusing Upton Sinclair and Sinclair Lewis. The Coal War, by Upton Sinclair, is a fascinating historical document concerning an uprising by miners in South Colorado in the early 2th century.

iur.jpg

11. Sparkle Princess

Sparkle Princess Members

Oh interesting, I’m reading;

How Britain really works: Understanding the Ideas and Institutions of a Nation.