Isn’t gun crime terrorism?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Balbus, Apr 21, 2013.

1. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

Errr

ter·ror·ism
    /ˈterəˌrizəm/
    Noun
    The use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.

Motivation is what defines terrorism, and separates it from other crime. How do you fail to understand that?

2. Summerhill

Summerhill Member

All I'm saying is that it is a Crime. What would you say Murder was in pursuit of? Would you need to know other than it was a fact?

3. LetLovinTakeHold

No, you were saying it was terrorism. Which is a specific crime, identified by the motive behind it.

Murder happens for a wide variety of reasons, your question is unanswerable. But I would say that the motive is very important on a lot of different levels. The victims families almost always want to know why their loved one was taken from them. If someone I knew was killed I would want to know more. I'm not gonna say, "we'll they're dead now, that's all that matters." I would want to know where, why, who, etc.

Without motive it could also be hard to convict murderers.

4. Summerhill

Summerhill Member

Its the 'otherwise its just plain ol' crime' I took issue with and my point to you was & is that for the innocent victims there is NO motivation that justifies their suffering. Though,obviously, from the terrorists point of view Gongshamans first line and your definition is correct.

Killers of innocents are no more than callous criminals. The tragic result of their actions undoes any point they were trying to make.

5. LetLovinTakeHold

Motivation and justification are two very different things.

6. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

You are missing the point, 'terrorism' is a simply a classification. No one is justifiying anything. I don't agree with the term anymore than I agree with 'hate crime'...it's all crime to me and deserves to be prosecuted as such.
    If a 'terrorist' kills a bunch of people, they should be charged with a count of murder for each and every death they caused, motivation be damned.
    mm k?

7. lode

lode Banned

Terrorism is a strategy of warfare to cause psychological damage to the community usually to achieve goals by doing any number of horrible things.

Gun crimes are usually murders.

Gun crimes could be terrorism, like the DC sniper.

8. redgingergirl

redgingergirl Member

First of all there are so many things about the boston bombing that is questionable i wouldnt have time to try and educate you on it. Second of all there are already laws in place that prohibit murder with a deadly weapon, Mabie adding more laws wont stop criminals because so far they dont give a shit about the laws in place already. Third the right to bare arms in not in place for hunting it is for personal defense agianst criminals and tyrannical government. Americans need to stand up for what little rights they have left including thier right to protect themselves. NUFF SAID.:afro:tt

9. Individual

Individual Senior Member

Is knife crime terrorism?

Is strangling someone terrorism?

Terrorism is a criminal act which heightens fear (terrorizes) of many persons who may not be victimized, but not all criminal acts evoke terror in anyone other than the victum of the crime.

10. redgingergirl

redgingergirl Member

Terrorism is a term that has been widely pushed by the industrial military complex to distract us from the real terrorists...them.

11. Individual

Individual Senior Member

Some persons obviously find life terrorizing.

12. redgingergirl

redgingergirl Member

Not life simply government

13. Individual

Individual Senior Member

Yet many of us promote the expansion of it, therefore are not those persons supporting terrorism as the means of controlling the rest of the society in the achievement of their social and economic agendum?

14. ThisIsWhyYoureWrong

ThisIsWhyYoureWrong Member

Google's definition of terrorism: "The use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims."

I would have to say yes, the government fits nicely into that category, and those who wish to expand government unwittingly support terrorism.

15. redgingergirl

redgingergirl Member

16. Summerhill

Summerhill Member

17. LetLovinTakeHold

In America, that is not an option. The sooner we all understand that the sooner we can start to actually help the situation.

18. Individual

Individual Senior Member

So, 'criminals with guns' don't exist in 'the rest of the world'?

"I enjoy the Right to not have to protect myself !" - Tell that to Lee Rigby and the other two victums who came out on the short end of 'not having to protect themselves'. And lo and behold, no gun was involved. Brings me back to the question I posed in my post #51, "Is knife crime terrorism?"

19. Summerhill

Summerhill Member

Lee Rigby was first mowed down (from behind) by the car his murderers were driving. Unable to defend himself he was then stabbed & hacked to death by the cars occupants. Defending himself with a gun or otherwise was never an option.

By the 'two other victims' I take that to mean the murderers. One was armed with a handgun. The terrorists then moved to attack armed police officers attending the scene. The officers fired 8 shots wounding both men. They are now under armed guard hospitalised and in a stable condition.

The threat of the use of any weapon could be construde as terrorising,in my opinion.

Yes criminals with guns do exist in the rest of the world.

20. Summerhill

Summerhill Member

No, the sooner you DO SOMETHING about that you can start to help the situation.