Isn’t gun crime terrorism?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Balbus, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Summerhill

Summerhill Member

No, Guns ,like bombs ect, are only designed to kill. When you buy a gun its highly likely that if you use it against a person you will kill them with it.

What if your Government said 'okay,you got this right to bear arms to protect you & yours (you don't seriously believe that a guns really gona protect you from your Government) but they are lethal,so we want everyone to hand them in and we will issue y'all with free Tazers (like the Cops use).'

You're therefore still armed but less likely to kill anyone. How'bout that?

2. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

Nope

3. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Is gun crime terroism?
    In a word NO.
    I am puzzled that you would be so ignorant as to even pose such a question Balbus.

I do notice Balbus and other Brits seem to really have a stick up the ass about guns in the US, why? Is it sour grapes, you want to try and take America back, or are you just still holding a grudge that you were sent packing a couple hundred years ago?

Balbus, I really don't understand why you are so obsessed with everything American, doesn't the UK have some problems that you can solve?
    Clean up your own yard first.

4. Summerhill

Summerhill Member

Is Gun crime terrorism. Yes because it involves 'THE GUN' its a thing thats sole purpose is to kill therefore its use,or threat of,terrorises. Its a weapon that has no business being in civilian hands.

The reason we Brits are so concerned its that we too get CNN ,ect, & see the unintended but tragic spin-offs of your right to bear Arms. Massacres in Shopping Malls,Schools,ect, ect. Innocent folk being killed by crazies is only part of it. Read Balbuses opening post. Does that not make you think theres something very wrong in your society?

We all grieve & feel the tragedy when kids,innocents die. Its not just us Brits Mate,its the whole world. If it was happening as frequenty in my country I'd be deeply ashamed.

5. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Clearly you've stated the problem. You're watching the same selective media that likes to press hard on gun crime events, but will hardly ever venture into the reporting the events where people have used guns to defend themselves and their children. They want to keep ingorant people like you to assume thing like that never happen, and sadly they're doing a damn good job at it.

6. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

So by that logic if I use a slingshot, bow & arrow, spear, knife, sword, club, blowgun, pit trap, noose, garrote or an atlatl to kill or subdue an opponent I am automatically a terrorist because all those items were created with taking a life as the objects primary purpose.

I honestly can't fathom such monumental ignorance.

Sorry, but no, gun crime is NOT terrorism.
    Why don't you go back and read the definitions of the word "terrorism" I posted in your other thread. You can't just "re-purpose" or redefine words so they then support your hypothesis.

How absolutely lame.

Plus I guess you also don't pick up on sarcasm, although I am genuinely curious as to why Balbus doesn't focus his grand powers of political and legal insight on his own countries problems.

I don't see American members constantly posting their bitches, concerns and lame solutions to problems in the UK or other countries.

Honestly it is getting rather tiresome, same tired old rhetoric, same back and forth with stats and numbers that have been doctored by BOTH sides to better support their position, etc, etc.

Honestly, until you guys move here and then actually have some degree of investment in the issue...

F**k Off!
    Like I said, clean your own yard first.

^^THIS is more likely the root of your and others misconceptions/perceptions concerning American gun laws and crime.

7. Summerhill

Summerhill Member

My definition of the threat of use of a gun will do me just fine thanks,but you are entitled to your definitions too. Yes a threat to kill or harm a person by any means (you listed) would indeed be to terrorise them-but a gun has a particular level of menace. Once the triggers squeezed its instant ,what follows is beyond anyones control,it can't be undone,theres no opportunity for second thoughts. Its easy,a child can shoot a gun, too much so to have it in a civilian environment. Again go check the figures for gun fatalities in the USA & tell me thats okay.

Americans don't 'bitch' about the UK (or other relatively civilised countries) because ours isnt as fucked up as yours. Ive not given any stats or figures nor do I need to live in the USA (though I do have family there) just that it 'gets to' me,& a lot of people around the world when we see & hear of kids and innocents dieing time after time. Change your gun laws,take guns out of your communities-or get used to folk like me hassling you.

What I find tiresome is your adherence to an Amendment over 200 years old. The lack of human compassion or empathy for the people behind your tragic statistics. The laughable beliefs you cling onto that the right to bear arms will protect you from a tyranical government. Do you seriously think that your pop-guns gona save you from REAL tyranny?

All I hear is the same old lame excuses about 'Rights' no one in a truelly civilised country would need or want.

8. Summerhill

Summerhill Member

All I watch is the news reports of killings the same as you do. We've have nutcases in the UK killing innocents too-way too many-but nothing comparable to the USA.

What baffles us is that you have the most sophisticated police apparatus in the world yet you need to keep guns to defend yourselves? We don't need to bear arms here,we rely on our police force & dont take the law into our own hands , usually.

If NoxiousGas took his own advice & could clean up his own back yard-take the guns out of the hands of your criminals-would you then give up your'Right to bear arms'?

9. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

Well if being civilized means having no rights then count me out.

And just for the record, the only gun I've ever owned is a pellet gun

10. Summerhill

Summerhill Member

No, being in a truelly civilised country is not NEEDING a Right to arm yourself. Why do you support a right you seem to see no need for?

11. 6-eyed shaman

I recommend this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Dial-911-Die-Garn-Turner/dp/0964230445"]Dial 911 and Die: Garn Turner, Richard W. Stevens, Garn Turner, Aaron S. Zelman, Richard Stevens, Richard W. Stevens: 9780964230446: Amazon.com: Books

12. 6-eyed shaman

Then why does the president arm himself with body guards and secret service? If he wants to take our defense mechanisms away, we should take away his as well.

13. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Hmmm. you may be on to something there, we do have a lot more nutcases than you guys do. It MUST be because of guns! Yup no other possible answer, guns are the reason for the big difference.

or maybe, just maybe it could be something else like this;

"At 3.79 million square miles (9.83 million km2) and with around 315 million people, the United States is the third-or fourth-largest country by total area and the third-largest by both land area and population. It is one of the world's most ethnically diverse and multicultural nations, the product of large-scale immigration from many countries."

" In the 2011 census the total population of the United Kingdom was 63,181,775.[272] It is the third largest in the European Union, the fifth largest in the Commonwealth and the twenty-first largest in the world."

Hmmm, I wonder if the HUGE difference in populations could have something to do with it, hmmmmm?

14. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

It's as simple as that.

15. Summerhill

Summerhill Member

Try comparative figures of gun ownership per head of the civilian populations in USA & UK & we may get somewhere?

16. Summerhill

Summerhill Member

Derrr...Cos he's like a very prominent (thats like 'real important guy') person & crazies & bad people are a lot more likely to want to harm him than you , maybe?

17. Summerhill

Summerhill Member

Thanks. I checked the link & read the reviews. Don't think I'll be buying a copy though. Why? Because we have a very good police force whom I have had cause to contact from time to time ,in the course of my work and as a regular citizen. Yes theres been times when they werent able to be there straight away but got to me as soon as they could,which was okay.
    None of the incidents I contacted them for were to do with gun crime or were in anyway life threatening. I am not trained or have any wish to take the law into my own hands. Gun crime is rare here,mostly occurs between criminals.
    I once did make a succesful citizens arrest of several youths breaking into a community centre & was entirely unarmed. The police arrived & the law took its course.

Get the guns off your streets,you don't need all this drama !

18. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

What in the world does that have to do with the numbers of "nut cases running around" as you so eloquently put it?

*sigh*

Any nation that has a population SOOO much bigger will of course have more "nut cases" overall, guns don't have a fucking thing to do with it.
    :rolleyes:

19. Summerhill

Summerhill Member

Yes , but think about it , we can't know how many nutcases we have comparitively in our respective populations and this thread is about Gun crime. Its you thats arguing comparisons.

My guess is that were we Brits to have as many guns both legally held & as available to our criminals as you guys,we'd have the same problems (just fewer in number maybe but proportionately comparable to your gun crime,usage,tragedy).

20. Summerhill

Summerhill Member

Err...Terrorism IS plain crime. Motive has fuck all to do with it.