Isaac Asimov - READ!!!

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi Books' started by yazzi, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

THE LAST QUESTION

Read it here:
    http://filer.case.edu/dts8/thelastq.htm

2. porkstock41

porkstock41 Every time across from me...not there!

i really could not get into Dune until after the first 60 or 80 pages. the beginning really wasn't captivating to me, and all the made up language i didn't like. but when i picked it back up, i loved it. only read the first 3 books of the series, i need to get back to it.

i read the Foundation series, and enjoyed it but i kinda see where some people are coming from that Asimov's writing isn't the Greatest.

i liked Nightfall by him the best. it was a short story that got expanded to a full novel by him and another author.

The Gods Themselves was also mentioned. this story was unique and very interesting all the way til the end. highly recommended.

3. ishikabe

ishikabe Member

I read all of the Foundation series. In one book Asimov explains how he was begged by fans/publishers to continue the story beyond his beginning stuff. He said he had to go back and reread what he wrote because it was 20-30 years later that people were begging him to write more. :D

I just started Dune and the first 30 pages...ugh, but I'm getting into after the beginning.

4. ishikabe

ishikabe Member

So you read 5 books while puking/hating them? sure :2thumbsup:

5. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Asimov was my favorite author when I was a kid. I loved his robot stories. I was terribly disappointed by the movie, "I, Robot" -- it wasn't nearly as good as the book.

He was very strong on science but weak on character development.

6. fem_fatale

fem_fatale Members

I read the first Foundation book. It was okay. It felt really dated . Seems to be a common problem with classic sci-fi

7. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Yes. It began as a series of articles in 1941. The first book wasn't published until 1951.
    The trilogy doesn't really get interesting until the 2nd book.

fem_fatale likes this.
  8. MikeE

MikeE Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Bologna. Dune isn't science fiction, its thinly disguised fantasy. There are no situations where characters apply logic to solve a problem. And the magic of the Bene Gessert beats technology every time.
    Good books. Great reading, but just because its in that section of the book store doesn't make it SF. (Those who note the difference between SF and sci. fi will get my point.)

9. parua

parua Members

His nonfiction is 1000 times better. Just my opinion.

10. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I’ve read every Dune book from the original 1965 Frank Herbert novel to 2016 Navigators of Dune written by Brian Herbert (Frank’s Son) and Kevin J Anderson, and by every definition it’s Sci-Fi

11. EroticaWriter

EroticaWriter Senior Member

Asimov was a brilliant short story writer - great ideas, simple language and easy to understand. He didnt go out of his way to describe characters, he left it to your own imagination.
    He was unpopular with a lot of "experts" because of his style and getting to the point.
    He was brilliant, the experts were nobodies. :)