Is work noble?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by YouFreeMe, Aug 3, 2013.

1. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

He was definately a cynical one.

Work noble? Ask the guys that clean the porta-potties.

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Pretty important job at for example a multiple day music festival. Easily overlooked by the festival goers as well...

3. QueerPoet

QueerPoet Senior Member

Depends on how you define work? Emily Dickinson and Van Gogh worked very hard at their craft. But they made no money. Now their works are worth millions. Too bad their efforts were only appreciated posthumously. :(

QP

4. QueerPoet

QueerPoet Senior Member

I seem to recall a scene from Woodstock... :)

QP

5. hillbillyhippy

hillbillyhippy Member

yeah, so many writers are only appreciated after death. I'd be comfortable making enough to make a comfortable living, being super famous in my lifetime would get rather annoying with my privacy being very important to me.

6. QueerPoet

QueerPoet Senior Member

I feel the same way. Hell, I don't even have a Facebook page! And my first poem was published 30 years ago. I don't want fame (seems like a kind of twisted hell to me), but a little money would be nice. Just enough to pay the rent, and put bread and butter on the table. :)

QP

7. hillbillyhippy

hillbillyhippy Member

And of course enough to retire at least some what comfortably. Man can not live on bread and butter alone, but enough for some shotgun shells for my shotgun to get me a deer would be nice

I'm trying to submit for fantasy and science fiction magazine

It was where Stephen King got his start. They retain first publishing rights, but I retain all other rights. First I have to get my own computer, or a typewriter. I also have to practice editing, they said they have editors to do it for me, as long as its a good story, but I don't want them to have to do too much editing.

8. lode

lode Banned

Working hard to take care of the people you love is noble.

But working hard to make somebody else rich is inherently a suckers game. Money is also god damned imaginary, so working your hands to the bone to make somebody else rich while you're paid in pieces of paper that are only supported by the power of societies imagination.

That's pretty silly.

9. QueerPoet

QueerPoet Senior Member

They do have editors (but there's a large charge). I find that it's best to let my friends (all book lovers) take a long peek at anything I am thinking about publishing. They don't seem to mind - as long as I dedicate a book (or poem) to them. ;)

QP

10. *Doc*

*Doc* Gone but never forgotten RIP Lifetime Supporter

look closer ;)

11. QueerPoet

QueerPoet Senior Member

Right on. Big time. :2thumbsup:

QP

12. *Doc*

*Doc* Gone but never forgotten RIP Lifetime Supporter

I find this to be so accurate yet I am lost as to how to get around it, I have always been one to work HARD but I also prefer to work SMART. I hate to spend my life working to make someone else rich and have nothing to show for it myself, but lately all I can seem to do is work to survive. It's driving me mad! :cuss:

13. hillbillyhippy

hillbillyhippy Member

Thats why i plan invest in gold and livestock animals....when the grid gos down ima have me some eggs, milk, everything I need, that paper money is good for buying stuff for now.....for now...

14. lode

lode Banned

See that's something I don't get though. When people rave about the gold standard.

Nowadays gold has actual value because of it's use in electronics. But before the modern era gold was just valued for being really rare and pretty. It's value is also based on societies imagination.

And I do see the society we have now crumbling, but I'm not sure it's happening as immediately as you think.

Could be wrong though. :biggrin:

15. hillbillyhippy

hillbillyhippy Member

Oh I don't think its happening any time soon, lol i think its a small percent chance of happening, but I still prepare for if it does . either way I love the self sufficiency

can't eat gold, a milk goat when something hits the fan, is gonna be worth way more.

16. ariekanibalie

ariekanibalie Member

The famous Puritan 'work ethos', like morality in general, is just a fiction to keep the slave caste coming back for more, all the while believing they are doing something 'good'. Which, from the perspective of their masters, they are - in exchange for the bare necessities (and in this day and age, from what I understand, a bottom level job in the USA doesn't even cover that) they are sacrificing their working lives to making their masters filthy rich, requiring nothing but crumbs in return. What virtue! What selflessness!

Of course, it makes a difference if you believe in an afterlife where you'll be rewarded by your Heavenly Father high in the sky for being a cooperative worker drone, or whether you've evolved beyond feel-good fictions, and have come to accept the terrible burden of realizing that, sorry kiddo, this is it, and you're not going to get shit after you go the way of the dodo, any more than slaving away at a dead end job is going to earn you more than a broken mind, body and spirit.

So get a job that you like, right? Of course. And 'liking' your work probably involves being able to use your talents in a meaningful way, so by all means, look for something that's rewarding in its own right, not just some drudgery to keep the old sack of bones from prematurely starving to death. If you're one of the lucky few who've found their niche, more power to you - but no matter how much you love your job, how much it satisfies you on an emotional, intellectual and creative level, ask yourself if you'd consider doing it for free from now on.

17. hillbillyhippy

hillbillyhippy Member

Thats a good question

heres a song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKtsdZs9LJo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKtsdZs9LJo

I like the lyrics

aint no rest for the wicked, money don't grow on trees, I got bills to pay , i got mouths to feed, their aint nothin in this life for free

18. *MAMA*

*MAMA* Perfectly Imperfect

Awesome post. My job is easy to me, but I play hard. I cook/bake, keep an immaculate house, garden, run, weight lift, and now derby.

I respect people who work hard at their job, but honestly I don't think that makes life as fulfilling as how time is spent outside of work.

19. deviate

deviate Senior Member

I work myself to death. But I also have fun. I am out of balance right now on the work side, however, lode mentioned working to take care of the ones you love.

I don't have a wife and kids (yet), but right now I'm stacking chips and paying my house down as much as I can so I can buy another one for a rental property. I think if you work hard and turn that work into smart investments you come out on top. So that when I do have kids and they are in after school sports, I can be the dad that always shows up and isn't a slave to his wages. Send them to college without worrying about money. That kind of shit is important to me.

20. *MAMA*

*MAMA* Perfectly Imperfect

^^^ That's noble as hell.