Is work noble?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by YouFreeMe, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I've never really gotten a lot of meaning from jobs I have worked...but I don't like idleness. I work hard when I'm not at work because I enjoy it. I enjoy cooking and cleaning and working in the garden and creating things and doing things to make my home beautiful.

So I guess it really depends on how you define work. Is it solely defined as what earns you money or is it defined as anything you put effort into? If it is the latter, then I think work is very valuable.

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Nobody really LIKES idleness in another person, but to instantly think people that don't insist on working hard on a regular basis must be idle is nonsense. Not saying people did that here but it is easily to think of the opposite extreme (of hard work) as we can see in this thread so far ;)

3. hillbillyhippy

hillbillyhippy Member

I know a lot of people who don't have jobs, because so far no one has called them for an interview. They volunteer at homeless shelters, animal shelters, soup kitchens, recycling centers. So it is true they all aren't idle.

4. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Indeed, I have known many genuine and good people who are not "hard workers." They are funny, passionate, loving, interesting, and well read. Are these people less of people? I don't mind how hard my partner works, as long as he is self-sufficient and happy. While he is a hard worker, it does not even begin to define his meaning in my life.

5. Asmodean

Well, no need to make us jealous :p

6. hillbillyhippy

hillbillyhippy Member

speaking of hardwork, would one define donating plasma as hard work....2-3 hours with a god damn needle in my arm. Well, at least it goes to a good cause

7. Asmodean

Donating is not working so no, I'm afraid not.

8. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

As much work as you can do sitting down while doing nothing.

9. hillbillyhippy

hillbillyhippy Member

for 3 hours...with needles going in me, then getting it put back in me. Have any of you ever donated plasma before?

10. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I tried, once.

11. hillbillyhippy

hillbillyhippy Member

Yeah, they told me to come in Wednesday with my state ID and my social security card. I wouldn't say its exactly hard work,but I think its noble work, since it does help people who need plasma

12. Lostsoul667

Lostsoul667 Member

you need to squeeze the ball more if its taking you 3 hours, it definitely didn't take me that long when i went

13. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Shouldn't take more than an hour and a half.

14. Asmodean

Hillbilllyhippie probably has thick blood :D

15. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

When I see that username I always have to think about 'hippiehillbilly'. He was a legend here, anyone know what happened to him and if he still posts?

16. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

17. Lostsoul667

Lostsoul667 Member

i always liked that guy he and the wife were always nice to me...i think he got banned

18. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

That's sad, too many of the old crew got banned. And they were lots more fun than the new crew too (read: girls were much more flirting with me and they were showing their boobs more often).

19. Lostsoul667

Lostsoul667 Member

i agree thats why i stopped showing up, although i never got anyone to send me any pictures of their tits

20. Asmodean

He doesn't appear to be banned (anymore at least).