Is Withholding Information Always a Good Thing?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Jimbee68, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

I am fascinated by Fermi's Paradox, the seeming contradiction of no contact with advanced alien life, despite the likelihood that they exist.

One answer to it is Zoo hypothesis - Wikipedia As I may have said before, I take it a little further than that. I think they may have even tinkered in our affairs from time to time. That could explain things like the so-called Tecumseh Curse.

Anyway, people often ask if their proposed silence is such a bad thing. I wonder if it is necessarily such a good thing. Cause there is the strong possibility that they are moral nihilists. Or maybe they are all extreme carnivores. Or maybe they have insect brains, which is even more scary.

I know genius Stephen Hawking said advanced ET contact may not be such a good thing.

What do the rest of you think? No contact. Good or bad?

:smiley::smiley::smiley:

2. We just think we're so advanced, don't we? If aliens exist and can traverse the cosmos, or travel interdimensionally, they must be interested in us. We have no way to fathom that we're not "all that," though. Our whole society is based around the idea that humans are super fantastic. It would never work if aliens came here, and, given that they'd have to be super-intelligent to get here, they probably realize that. We don't, though. We're just not ready, and are better off left alone.

They probably just don't go around annihilating species for the fun of it like we do. We're probably on some list of low level civilizations not to be interfered with.

etherea likes this.
  3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yay and Nay, old mythologies always speak about warring gods and aliens on earth. Places in India have distinct areas and zones where the only probably answer is nuclear weapons were used a very long time ago. Advanced weaponry in all cultures are used by their gods.

Never think that Zeus with his lightening was an actual God with a lightening rod that shot lightening, it's just a depiction of what out ancients visualised. Missiles didn't exist, guns didn't exist. Bombs never existed, so the immediate concept they came up with was he threw lightening bolts. Loud, fast, bright lightening. Aka. Advanced weaponry.

neonspectraltoast likes this.
  4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I'm not allowed to say....

etherea likes this.
  5. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

The idea that alien life feels humans are not ready religiously or spiritually for them is common in the conspiracy community. They have contact with high level goverment officials who can handle the realities of what that means.

The Zoo theory makes sense to me. They really have no need or motivation to interrupt a natural process.

6. maxmayer

maxmayer Members

Aliens watching at me at the moment.. i can not tell the truth

7. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I think i read about this in an Erich von Daniken book. Not sure those speculative theories count as withholded information. Or is there more to it? I'm eager to be enlightened then!

8. maxmayer

maxmayer Members

Probably you are right about it

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I don't think they've come up with any other reason as to why these certain locations have the sand melted into glass and the high radiation readings. Meteor and asteroid? Would have left a crater. No written history about that either. But, you have the written history about the battles between gods in said city, history that says the gods used weapons of the sun... Probably because they're very very blinding for the hoomans.

10. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I recently learned about a concept called the Wait Calculation, which is a concept for consideration in regards to our interstellar travels, but I think it could be applied to the Fermi Paradox as well.

Basically it suggests that a civilization might want to plan out interstellar travel such that it's trajectory of technological progress wouldn't lap it's current technology.

Let's suppose we want to travel to the nearest star, a journey with a current ship that's estimated to take 80,000 years. That spaceship leaves, then 10,000 years later, technology has progressed to the point that we can build a ship that gets to that same star in 40,000 years. That newer ship would get there before the other ship, so was it worth sending the first ship?

The dilemma of the Wait Calculation is finding the optimal point at which resources and time can be utilized most effectively and the hazards of interstellar travel minimized.

Furthermore, assuming that evolution operates more or less similar on other planets with complex life, I don't think I'm casting too much of an anthropocentric bent suggesting that there are likely alot of niche considerations for alien civilizations, before making such long distance interstellar travel.

eggsprog likes this.
  11. maxmayer

maxmayer Members

I agree that they're really blinding for the hoomans