Is Western Culture Superior?

Discussion in 'Activism' started by Jimbee68, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

The west... is the best. Get here and we'll do the rest!

2. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

The west... is the best in compounding the problem of greenhouse warming, which is now tipping the balance of nature and global temperatures to the danger side, due to their unrestrained and unregulated use of resources.

Even though just 5 per cent of the world population, the Americans consume around 25 per cent of the world's oil.

3. Asmodean

Sometimes I think the sooner the world runs out of oil the better. Still seems a shitload of it though (not all of it is easy to get to).

4. Meliai

Meliai Banned

This thread brings me back to the innocent days of 2014 when visiting Damascus still seemed like a reality, however distant.

Not sure what will be left it it ever becomes safe to travel there at all

5. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

Civilized culture is an oxymoron.

6. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Somehow I doubt that the transition to an oil free world is going to go off peacefully.

1 person likes this.
  7. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

I measure superiority of a culture by its production, sustainability and expandability. Western culture might have been superior at one point, but it isn't anymore. Overgrown corporate culture, consumerist mainstream mentality, and die-hard capitalists have sold out their nations. Populations are on the decline and strong family units are disappearing more and more due to domestic issues, mainly the fault of gynocentrism and anti-marriage. Big businesses are completely out of control. Private business should NOT run the lives of citizens.

2 people like this.
  8. DarkSideOfTheMoon94

DarkSideOfTheMoon94 Members

It has it's ups and downs. Big Business has done a number on it, which in turn has exploited a lot of countries that make our culture appear much better than the rest of the worlds cultures.
    All cultures have something to learn from and a uniqueness that deserves a voice, but there are no superior cultures by any means, and if anything our consumerism and "american dream" chasing has led to our decline and has severely damaged our planet.

What defines superior culture in the 21st Century has been determined by how many nukes you have and how high your military spending budget is since 1945.

Both eastern and western cultures aren't perfect, but I think they both have some qualities that if brought together, could form a decent society/culture. (Excluding the middle east on the eastern cultures though, no room for fundamentalism in todays world)

9. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

the OP stated "culture" when in reality I'm pretty sure he meant "society" or maybe "civilization".
    I can understand America and Europe under the same "society" or "civ" umbrella, but definitely not the same "culture" umbrella.

SOCIETY:
    1.an organized group of persons associated together for religious, benevolent, cultural, scientific, political, patriotic, or other purposes.
    2.a body of individuals living as members of a community; community.
    3.the body of human beings generally, associated or viewed as members of a community:

the evolution of human society.

4.a highly structured system of human organization for large-scale community living that normally furnishes protection, continuity, security, and a national identity for its members:

American society.

5.such a system characterized by its dominant economic class or form:

middle-class society; industrial society

CULTURE:

1.the quality in a person or society that arises from a concern for what is regarded as excellent in arts, letters, manners, scholarly pursuits, etc.
    2.that which is excellent in the arts, manners, etc.
    3.a particular form or stage of civilization, as that of a certain nation or period:
    Greek culture.

4.development or improvement of the mind by education or training.
    5.the behaviors and beliefs characteristic of a particular social, ethnic, or age group:

the youth culture; the drug culture.

6.Anthropology. the sum total of ways of living built up by a group of human beings and transmitted from one generation to another.

Society is the canvas and frame, culture is the picture painted on it.

Most responses focused on culture rather than society, and as such most are correct that "superior" when talking culture is purely subjective, but when discussing society, it is not nearly as subjective.
    the only one who seemed to pick-up on the OP's intention was MeAgain as he discusses societal differences rather than cultural, except when he goes off about special interest groups.

What I see is the coalescing of ideas over the course of history, coinciding with expansion/exploration geographically. In that sense we can see both humans and human society evolve as we migrated from the Eastern hemisphere of the planet to the Western hemisphere.
    In a very literal sense the North American continent represents a culmination of that movement/evolution of human society and it is superior in that it has been built on the framework of and borrows from almost every other society on Earth, geographically and historically.
    Granted there have been and are outstanding "singular" societies, but the real "superiority" is achieved by utilizing the best features of each society/culture into one, which is what a lot of modern Western society/civilization is an attempt to achieve ;)

10. OldDude2

OldDude2 Newbie

IMHO western culture is vastly inferior to Islamic culture (for men and children).
    Islam wins hands down (or should that be hand off) for stable family units, almost no divorce and no adultery ..... the kids always have a mom and dad looking after them.
    For men, you don't lose your house, kids or assets in a divorce (if it were to happen), it all belongs to you. Your wife can't restrict or control you through your access to sex, she has no right of consent, they are your property.
    My pals in Oman are allowed 3 wives, none of them are divorced, when they have problems with one, they just add to their collection. Strange thing is, the Omani women seem far happier restricted under Islam than most western women with all their choices.
    In the western world, a woman only needs to cry rape and point her finger, and the poor guy is arrested and questioned, no evidence needed. In the Islamic world, the woman would be arrested and probably flogged/jailed for lewd behaviour. (now just think about this a bit, Islamic women aren't allowed out of the house alone, so the only reason they could be in this sort of danger was if they pre-planned the event)

So OK, if you're a thief it's not so convenient, but I'd like people who steal my stuff to suffer a bit!

I moved out of the West 9 years ago, to live in the East, and I'm far happier without all the control government and women (I dated/slept with) had over me.
    The only people that think West is best, are those that haven't lived anywhere else, and believe all the jingoistic (anti-everywhere else) propaganda their governments feed them

Americans are the only race which passed directly from barbarism to decadence without knowing civilization - Unknown French writer.

11. OldDude2

OldDude2 Newbie

Asian culture sucks after a while ....... it's all booze and hookers ...... it would be nice to go out without all the hookers occasionally.
    Not to mention selling their female children for sex is common ..... that really sucks

12. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Asian culture is all booze and hookers?

No, that is all you decided to take from the culture.
    It'sad, really....

So much history, old civilization(s), customs and traditions....

13. Asmodean

Maybe leave the city/beach area for a while. Booze and hookers is merely how they finance their 'culture' (or as Nox pointed out: society).

14. OldDude2

OldDude2 Newbie

They've pretty much dumped all the history, culture and customs now. It's nearly all greed and selfies.
    Not what I've decided to take, just how it is. But you can imagine everything was as it was 25 years ago if you want.

S. Korea is different, but white folk aren't welcome there.

15. OldDude2

OldDude2 Newbie

Nope, it's the same all over, from the small rural villages in the jungle to the big industrial towns.
    The local men are way more into that scene than foreigners.

16. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Really? I know a few people who have lived in South Korea, either in the military or as an English teacher, and they all had very positive experiences. South Korea is definitely on my bucket list

17. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

I think arguments can be made against your first comment.

And as more and more Chinese get cars your second comment will likely change in the future.

2 out of 3 in Asia.
    http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/biggest-contributors-to-global-warming-in-the-world.html

18. Mothman

Mothman Senior Member

It must be pretty good considering everyone seems to want to get into western countries and tell us their demands. I don't know that much about other cultures but women shouldn't be posting in this thread. They should be wearing their hijabs and preparing dinner and certainly not driving. I don't wanna have to call for a stoning. Yeah I'd say we're not all that bad in the West. Japanese are pretty cool. Nice and homogenous too. Oops I mean they need diversity now!!!

19. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Western culture is based on dualistic logics, which are the simplest that describe nature scientifically, meaning western culture merely got a jump on the rest of the world by focusing on the easiest way to describe everything. Its not like nobody noticed either, but the western mindset is something you really have to be raised with and they never could catch up. However, that's about to change and, believe it or not, China has banned the use of time travel as a plot device in their mass media, because their logic is more complex, and they don't want to inadvertently reveal any state secrets. A Theory of Everything is coming, that will point out in glaring detail, just how limited western thinking actually is, and how we will have to work at it to catch up with the rest of the world. Asians use more of their brains for language, because they perceive things westerners don't.

20. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Most people who say they like Japan because it's for Japanese people have no idea about the country. Trust me very little of the Alt-right attitude exists in the country. The love foreigners and foreign things. If you are not Japanese your culture is fine in Japan as long as you have Japanese manners. Which is basically to be polite and not a burden to other people. They are often very curios and seeking outsiders because all they see is Japanese people.