Is WattsApp any good?

Discussion in 'The Media' started by Boozercruiser, Jan 23, 2020.

1. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

Well you asked for thoughts on Twitter.

Why would anyone use the propaganda platform of choice for Donald Trumpo?

Ask some San Francisco locals what they think of Twitter being in their city...you'll soon have your head spinning.

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I think its more than that. Or it used to be.
    Personally I have no use for twitter btw (but this has absolutely nothing to do with Trump using it)

3. LoRider

LoRider Members

I like it and never had any problems with it

4. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

Yay gentrification!!

/sarcasm

ZenKarma likes this.
  5. Boozercruiser

Boozercruiser Kenny Lifetime Supporter

Me know nothing about Twitter Zen, but surely it is far from all being about Trump.
    He is just a tiny bit of it in the overall scheme of things, particularly here in the UK, and I don't have to look at his stuff if I don't want to.

I guess it could be good if you wanted to try and get publicity for an issue which is important to you, and after all.
    I believe lots of millions of people use it and love it.

6. ~Zen~

Millions of people use Facebook and love it, but that doesn't mean they are not an evil corporation milking your personal information for profit.

Sure people love Twitter also, but the damage they leave in their wake is unconscionable to me.

7. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

some of those social media programs/platforms are very intrusive to me. It seems like they want you to advertise your occupation, school, age, appearance, everything... All of that comes with a price if you ask me. People know where you live! Lol. Maybe I'm paranoid. :D

Bicaptain My Captain likes this.
  8. ~Zen~

You should be paranoid about Twitter and Facebook and Google.

HOWEVER...

I can truly say we don't do these things here at HipForums.

Firstly, you don't have to use your real name, verify your address, provide documentation, phone numbers, etc. to use this site.

Secondly, we would never sell it if we had it.

We take your personal privacy seriously, unlike those evil corporations.

fundoo, Asmodean, GLENGLEN and 4 others like this.
  9. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I thank you sincerely for that. :)

ZenKarma likes this.
  10. ~Zen~

soulcompromise likes this.
  11. deleted

deleted Visitor

my twitter is on a burner phone and facebook never asked me for anything.. Aol users passed to Google with only backup number. Also on burner .. neither requires a real name, only verification.

12. Boozercruiser

Boozercruiser Kenny Lifetime Supporter

Well said Zen.
    All good reasons for being part of your excellent forum.

ZenKarma and Candy Gal like this.
  13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I dont really know anyone who uses WhatsApp
    So I guess it would be pointless for me. I would just be yelling into the void

14. I have whatsapp on my phone but have not used it.
    I prefer viber.
    I also agree with Zenkarma. I'm now cautious of what it is i post up on facebook (i use facebook but i wouldn't dare to post stuff up on here because it's not allowed.)
    The only app i use the most is instagram. it's great for pics.

15. fundoo

fundoo Members

I know I keep commenting on old threads, but I've been away for awhile. :p

I use both Whatsapp and Twitter
    Whatsapp-is convenient for those out of country calls/chats. I was not aware, or I had forgotten that Facebook took over Whatsapp. If so, it was more recent. Kindof a bummer, since I'm not a fan of FB, although I do have an account and unfortunately did have to give a phone number. :/ But I know FB has rights over Instagram.

Twitter-i'm sure needs similiar precautions, but as I'll reply to Orison, I don't recall having to provide a phone number for that. Maybe it's required these days though. Like Google/gmail (that was a disappointing change :/ though I'm still under the impression that gmail is better than other things, but don't just take my word on it.) For Twitter, sure there are prompts for you to share certain things, but none is required-only a username and email. And a lot of people post pictures of themselves, but I never do. I actually mostly retweet or comment/tweet about non personal/non controversial topics (so no politics or spirituality talk. And i dont even follow Trump directly, but believe me, i see enough from others. Lol) I still like it as a way to keep updated on my fave celebrities and bands, and it's not like FB or a blog where you have to read lengthy posts sometimes, because Twitter has a strict posting length limit. Just quick posts and shares. Less about people's looks (like Instagram) and more about content. You still do have to filter out the garbage accounts and comments, but I've mostly been able to avoid that with muting accounts or even blocking, but mostly just not following certain a ccounts.

Actually, started my reply above, but basically I had the reverse. I don't recall sending a phone number for Twitter, but did have to do this for Facebook (on my newer accounts. My first account wasn't like this though-many the early days of FB) What does "AOL users passed to Google" mean?

16. Bicaptain My Captain

Bicaptain My Captain Members

I'm not a fan of social media. However, I do use WhatsApp to keep up with my children and grandchildren who live out of state. it is good for sharing photos and videos with some security.

17. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

It has serious issues about its security and can, at the moment, be easily 'hacked' !!!

18. Scottishdk

Scottishdk Senior Member

I don't do face book, don't have the face for it lol. I do use whatsapp, even though its now owned by face book. It's a great way to text share pics and video call with family and friends. You can even crest groups and select who you want as admin for things like adding new friends or not but this is not required. It's a personal app you use like text messages for those in your phone book not public like fB or twitter. Hope this helps.

19. phil1965

phil1965 Senior Member

I like whatsapp for two reasons, 1 I can speak to friends abroad without incurring massive costs and two, I can send picture messages for free, a win win for me. The cost of sending picture messages (mms) varies from service provider to service provider, anything between 15 and 30P, now that can add a chunk to anyones phone bill, as can ringing my friends abroad, but not with whatsapp, as long as you have internet you are fine. My phone is set up so as soon as I come home it connects to my WiFi anddoesn't use my data allowance on my phone. Recently I was talking to an elderly chap, his family all lived abroad with the exception of one daughter and she was moving abroad soon, he was dreading her going because he couldn't afford the cost of calling abroad, all he had was E-mail, I told him about Whatsapp and he E-mailed a family member abroad, did they use it? They replied that they did and so he installed it on his phone, he is now able to speak regularly with all his family abroad, without incurring any extra costs, a happy bunny.