Is Vitamin C Overhyped For Colds?

Discussion in 'Let Food Be Your Medicine' started by Motion, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Vlad, you might have something there..

2. I hope wine or champagne works, too. .

3. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Wine isn't strong enough, - you need a spirit !!!

Sierra likes this.
  4. Well, I do like that Willie Nelson song, Whiskey River. .

5. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Music won't do it, - has to be the 'real' thing, whisky, Brandy, Rum, Vodka, Gin, Tequila, - take your pick !!!

DrRainbow likes this.
  6. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

I asked for you to show me some research, not a link to a website I've never heard of that is clearly trying to advance a particular agenda.

7. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

It's not overhyped, but if you already get vit C from fruits and vegetables you likely already get enough. So taking vit C on top of that has little til no use.

8. DrRainbow

DrRainbow Ambassador of Love

I suggest sleep until recovery.

9. DrRainbow

[​IMG]

Mustard Tiger likes this.
  10. DrRainbow

lol

11. DrRainbow

Gin

12. Miztarp

Miztarp Members

This non-sequitur of yours only corroborates what I had in my last message. Please no more of your lazy nonsense. I will not address you again. Thank you.

13. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

14. Overhyped???? I don't think so. I have been taking Vit C and Grape Seed Extract for probably 25 yrs and have NOT had a cold, flu or flu vaccine in all these years. GrapeSeed is 50 times more powerful than C, but I take both....pay off in my life.

15. Drazan

Drazan Members

Yes, I think it's pretty good!

16. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

The body absorbs around 30mg of ascorbic acid (vitamin c) every 24 hours.
    As you said, taking a 60mg tablet as an when required is fine, along with a 500mg shock dose a few times a year at the onset of a cold.
    However, 3000mg 365 days a year is making your kidneys work overtime and this can lead to stones along with other long term damage.
    Expensive fizzy and orange flavoured tablets are a complete waste of money, as are those with a sweet orange flavoured coating.
    We all need water to live, but we don't need to jump in the river every day to quench our thirst.

17. wilsjane

That is quite a reasonable way of dealing with the symptoms of a cold, as long as you take into account that the product most likely contains some sugars. Like all medicated sweets, they should only be eaten in moderation.

18. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Where did I imply doing this?

19. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

From the perspective of traditional Chinese medicine, vitamin C clears heat, or has a cooling effect. If a person has already been infected, the nature of the invading pathogen is hot, and the patient's digestion is strong, a little vitamin C might make things better. However, if a person has not yet been infected, the pathogen is not hot in nature, or the patient's digestion is impaired, vitamin C might make things worse. This is because the Wei Qi, the primary defensive Qi of the body, is yang in nature, and cooling foods may tend to undermine yang. Also, if the patient's middle burner (the digestion) is impaired, ingesting something cool or cold would tend to further impair its function, and therefor exacerbate any deficiencies in the patient, including a deficiency in Wei Qi.

It makes sense from this perspective that there's anecdotal evidence of vitamin C helping to treat colds. It also makes sense that vitamin C would make things worse.

20. wilsjane

It was Joyce who was taking 3000mg per day. That was how I first got involved in this thread. :)