Is This The Worst Time To Be Mentally Ill In This Country?

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by Jimbee68, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

I just have to ask you all. Could this be the worst possible time to be mentally ill in the USA?

Funding for programs--and research--is at an all-time low. And stigma conversely is at an all-time high.

Only 4% of the mentally ill are ever violent. And that percentage goes even lower than the general population when you account for things like substance abuse. But if you asked the average American what percentage is violent, I think they'd say all of them. That's the impression I get anyway, just surfing the net.

Someone please tell me I'm wrong. And if I'm not, then what is the solution :) ?

2. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

I'm pretty sure it used to a lot worse for mentally ill people....that being said, due to funding issues & perhaps even moreso how mental health related issues are reported in the media things could certainly be a lot better.Ultimately, only more education & mentally ill or, previously mentally ill people feeling confident enough to talk about their struggles will move things along.

3. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

somebody thinks the USA is about 30 years old...

4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yeah I'm guessing maybe 100 years ago when there was no help like when you were kinda just mentally ill because you were just mentally ill probably could have been worse.

5. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

It's probably not the worst time, nor is it the best time

For the US and Canada, calling 211 or visiting www.211.org can help connect you with healthcare, as well as other services (employment, housing, food, other services).

6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

No, quite the contrary. They even have a mentally ill president. I would say the american dream is alive and kicking for the mentally ill!

scratcho and unfocusedanakin like this.
  7. Wouldn't say so. All the retarded people are having retarded sex with each other. Retards that know nothing trying to fill each other's minds with the facts of life.

It's like this and like that and uh...it's like this and like that. And who gives a fuck about those.

8. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

The worst time to be mentally ill is during a mental illness plague . Only the true and the fyoo can help you .

9. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

Is there ever a good time to be mentally Ill ? Serious Question

10. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]

scratcho likes this.
  11. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

There are resources for people like that. In the old days it would be a frontal lobotomy or spending your life in an asylum. But I do think that the current politics put much more blame and pressure on the mentally ill community. They are one of the groups of people who take everything from you the hard working white person. They probably do not need all the aid they get, aid is expensive why don't they pay for it?

One is also "mentally ill" if he does not agree with Trump. There are popular catchphrases "Liberalism is a mental disorder" "fuck you snow flake" so it's very easy for the ignorant to bring all the hate they have for people who do not like their orange god onto the poor women who just wants the voices to stop. Voices kind of sound flaky real men deal with them.

12. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

I think anakin is as far off as the OP. For sure it's not the best time UNLESS you are diagnosed. If you can get help before you do something stupid it is a pretty good time (if there was such a thing) but if you are diagnosed too late, there is a good chance you are just gonna spend your life in and out of jail/prison or in for life.

This country just loves to incarcerate people. I think that's to keep them at poverty level. After all you can't keep your house if you are a working class person in jail for a year.

13. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Ya , you politicos will define mental illness and live it . Snowflakes may melt into absurdity . It's opera of the mind ... soapy .
    Cleansing ? Bubbly ? I prefer sage .

14. magickman

magickman Supporters HipForums Supporter

This is the worst time to be anybody in this country. Unless you're Hillary Clinton or George Soros.

They have it "made in the shade".

How can I become friends with George Soros?

15. Meliai

Meliai Banned

You could apply to be his assistant, like a real life Mr. Smithers

16. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Considering how the USA used to treat the mentally ill back in the early-mid 20th century.

I think this has been the best time to be mentally ill EVER.

17. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I see a lot of the increase in so called mental illness as being society narrowing the boundaries of what it considers as normal behavior. In the past, eccentricity was considered as acceptable. Today social pressures try to ram us all into the same mold and even see individuality as a form of illness. Personally, I see walking along the road talking to a lump of plastic as somewhat irrational. Perhaps all offenders should be securely locked up and fed enough pills to turn them into zombies. When I was younger, I was told that the sign of insanity, was when you think that people around you are insane. Perhaps the government should heed my warning and start locking themselves up.
    Oh dear.... I just seem to have shot myself in the foot...... I had better get back to the funny farm..... LMAO

18. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I'm different.

That is how I explain my ways.

19. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i was told that the definition of insanity was doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results. so basically, everyone who dates.

20. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

LOL. 13 years on Hip Forum and you are still looking for that girl in your avatar picture, or is she the ex who you are trying to replace.