Is this photography or what?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by AceK, May 11, 2013.

1. odonII

odonII O

Happy now? :p

2. cynthy160

cynthy160 Senior Member

Making use of the height of the buildings is an option. Instead of holding the camera at eye level and looking down slightly at the subject, it can be placed lower and tilted upward slightly to show the overshadowing nature of the buildings.

Having the person's face right in the center of the pic is usually avoided, unless it's for some special effect. It's a common beginner mistake. It cuts off the body. If you watch people on TV such as newscasters, the head is usually about a third of the way down from the top of the screen. It shows some of the rest of the body and gives balance.

Focusing on the person and making the background slightly blurred can give effect and make the background less distracting. It involves using a large lens aperture which makes the focal range short.

A pic could be taken from high on top of one of the buildings looking down at the wee little red lady bug slowly traversing the rough urban drab landscape by herself.

3. AquaLight

AquaLight Senior Member

Come to think of it, i have taken better pics with my cellphone.

4. roamy

roamy Senior Member

i like the way you think outside the box ace. you have a good eye for abstract photography

5. desert-rat

desert-rat Senior Member

The pics look ok . I dont know why you chose a back alley to take them . I would think a store , park , the zoo , etc. would have been better . I an not sure if I would feel safe taking a girl in to a back ally any way . Remember Jodi Arias ? Ok that was at his house and he wasted to tell her good by .

6. desert-rat

desert-rat Senior Member

7. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

i took them while walking around trying not to attract too much atttention, I know of the rule of thirds.

8. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Odon's first picture is too dark, the second is too light....the third is just right!

I really like the troll walking along toward the left.

The great thing today is that you can "burn film" and it doesn't cost a cent. And you get instant feedback. In the old days film was expense and you never knew what you had till after it was developed.

Crop them, Ace, and they'll look pretty good, dumpster should go tho. Keep snapping!

9. AceK

that's what I said, haven't even been in photoshop yet, there's enough resolution to crop

10. odonII

odonII O

You can only really point and click with a Samsung Corby...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6jWDyH9RiM"]Samsung Corby S3650 - YouTube

11. AceK

[​IMG]

I could just put up a tripod in the middle of the street and take badass pictures, but we were trying not to attract a lot of attention, I didn't want anyone to see I had a camera, I had to tell a group of people I was a photojournalist.

12. AceK

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    these people, but she looks better

13. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Ah...Color Runners...

14. deviate

deviate Senior Member

Haha, all the haters because there's a chick in your photos.

And ahh the baltimore arena. Many fun nights walking by and pissing on the side of that building.

15. AceK

^ha word

16. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

Everyone seems to like the chick, it's the photography that's the problem.

and duck face...is she really doing duck face in one of those pics?

17. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

Pretty lady and your photos are just fine. :)

18. Meliai

Meliai Banned

yeah, I think the chick is pretty, she looks interesting, and she's pretty good at modeling and posing. I just have a problem with the composition. It just looks odd that he cut her feet off in every picture. I don't know enough about photography to critique the lighting and such, but I know how to properly balance and frame a shot. Cutting off her feet like that just throws the whole composition off.

19. AceK

thanks

the location some may not understand, but the urban grittiness is an element of it and is part of what makes it what it is....it is what it is (and it ain't what it ain't).

There was a sketchy lookin dude or two behind me not directly, they were just lurking back there..just homeless I think) so I was trying (yeah I know it didn't work) not to have the camera and shit be noticed so I was holdin it kinda down and close to me...the camera wasn't what they were gonna notice first tho ya see.

20. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

They're not bad. But blowing smoke up a guy's arse isn't going to make him a better photographer. There has been some good suggestions in this thread and they're all bang on.