Is this okay?

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by gretaoto, Feb 11, 2009.

1. gretaoto

gretaoto Senior Member

So I started the dreading process back in late november and I tried to backcomb but it was hard to do solo, so I left them alone. I have these huge fat knots in only part of the sectioned hair or I have this crazy loops. It looks a mess but I want to know if the huge knots wil resolve themselves, or will I have flat dreads? Here are a couple of photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tannaleigh

tannaleigh Member

they will resolve themselves... it takes a long time and sometimes you just have to love the imperfections... because well they're dreaded hair really... its not going to look amazing until you are YEARS into the process....and even then I sometimes fine i am a little critical of my own dreads :)

if you want to ensure they won't be flat you can palm roll after you shower.... or anytime really... I do my best work whilst entranced in a movie :)

3. Luxiebow

Luxiebow Senior Member

*watching* some of mine are totally flat too!

4. Bamboo Bicycle

Bamboo Bicycle Member

Palm roll them for a about a year and I think they will smooth out, or so I hear. Apparently it takes 2+ years to get mature dreads. In my opinion random turns and lumps add uniqueness.

5. captaindreadlock

captaindreadlock Member

they will be fine! patience

6. WorldPeace

WorldPeace Senior Member

yeah looks very good, have patience!

7. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

they will jusrt look more unique then the typical backcombed dreads.. i love em

8. gretaoto

gretaoto Senior Member

Thanks for the responses. They are coming along nicely for now :)

9. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

post more pics soon ;)
    in general the less u do to em the better they turn out
    just feed em lots of love

10. spiralmama

spiralmama Member

they look great! mine looked like that and before i new it they were rounder.

11. OregonHerbalist

OregonHerbalist Member

12. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

thats just part of the natural process and i doubt they will ever go away.. mine are still there after over two years..

just do what i did and name each little end after hurricanes, as thats what they resemble to me..lol

13. amybird

amybird Senior Member

Yeh I'd say they won't vanish completely, obviously, because they're knots and that's the point. But presumably they'll become better incorporated with the overall appearance and texture of the dreads as the maturing continues..?

14. hippiehillbilly

ya know, im not sure..lol

i dont have a mirror and really dont much care how i look so i cant say as if they have blended into the overall dread or not. i just know that on a lot of my dreads there is still a flat round knot at the end..

maybe at some point ill get my better half to take some pics to post and yall can decide for yourselves..

15. hippiehillbilly

my better half just came in and informed me that they do blend in and pretty much go away eventually..

she says most of the ones on the back of my head have blended in and disappeared already..

like i said,i dont pay any attention..lol

16. amybird

amybird Senior Member

I guess what I mean is, they are not going to look precisely as they do in those pics forever. The lumpy knots won't disappear, but they'll come to a point where they seem to fit in a little better and just add character.

17. hippiehillbilly

yeah,natural dreads are never going to be symmetrical like a rolled dread but they will tighten up and blend just fine..

it takes a really long time for natural dreads to start looking good. well over a year if you do absolutely nothing like i have done.

18. amybird

amybird Senior Member

How old are yours?

19. amybird

amybird Senior Member

Is yours meant to have an apostrophe? Your's ? No, that can't be right...

20. hippiehillbilly

hell if i know, my grammar aint great,only went to the ninth grade.
    i just try an make things readable outta respect for those reading..

dilli,my better half and the college educated one here says no yours does not need one in that context..

i quit combing mine december of 2006. i already had a few dreads then though..
    i had hair to my ass and used to keep it in a braid for a week at a time and it just began dreading on its own so i said fuck it..

really had nothing to do with style or a statement,just a matter of convenience..