Is this bug harmfull

Discussion in 'Cannabis Pests and Problems' started by Mud_Hunter, Jan 26, 2005.

1. b1v2w3

b1v2w3 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Diatomaceous earth (silicon dioxide) is very effective, though mostly on crawling insects. b1

2. zendude

zendude Member

the fungus gnats can be controlled better with sand on top of the soil. you used potting soil straight outa the bag and it is always too heavy for growing. add some perlite next time and lighten it up in a major way. the drainage will be greatly improved. as for now get some sand and put on top of the soil to a depth of 3/4 to 1 inch. the spaces between the grains are small enough to keep the fungus gnats out of the soil. definately let the soil dry out between waterings to get rid of what you have. you can also carefully dig around the top of the soil or make little holes in the top to help dry it out. that is before you add the sand. the other looks like an ambush bug, a predator and that is a good thing. i can't see in the pic but are the front legs similar to a preying mantis? if they are that's it for sure. they wait for insects to land nearby and then they grasp them just like the praying mantis. if you use insecticide on this you'll get rid of the ambush bug (predator) controlling the prey (fungus gnat) and end up with a bigger problem when the population of gnats rebounds long before the ambush bug.

3. Mud_Hunter

Mud_Hunter Member

Thanks for the advice zendude ...Since my last post I have harvested and let the soil dry out. Bugs appear to be gone. I wish i could have gotten a better pic of the kridder...it would have been nice to know for sure what the hell it was. Im sure I havent seen the last of them.

Thanks Guys

4. b1v2w3

b1v2w3 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Prevention: neem oil b1

5. dexorated

dexorated Member

lol google is not the type of fungus gnat. google is a internet search engine that he was saying you should use to look the insect up

6. Mud_Hunter

Mud_Hunter Member

ahhhh ..got it

7. bUrNEd_oUt420

bUrNEd_oUt420 Member

i think that if you give it a 1 or 2 hot shots it shoudl kill the bugs, but if not i woudl look into buying sum insecticide.... b_O420

8. Oahugrown

Oahugrown Member

Those small insects appear to be aphids. Do they cling to the BOTTOM of the leaf surface?? Do they congregate in large masses and do they excrete a sticky substance called Honeydew which coats the leaf surfaces??

If you have that and your lower leaf surfaces are turning black from the decaying Honeydew that drips down on them, then you probably have aphids. One sure way to tell is to inspect the bug closely, look at it's rear abdominal area, if it is an aphid, it will have two small projections, almost like little antennae on its rear, if not, then they are probably thrips, they are a small gnat like larvae.

Either way, they insert a tube from their mouth into the leaf or plant surface and suck the juices and nutrients from the plant, weakening and eventually killing it.

A natural way to get rid of them is to just wash the plant with a light pressure, but since you don't want to disturb your buds or crystals in anyway, mix up a spray bottle with a light, solution of water and dish soap. Spray the underside of the leaves and any where you see the bugs. Since these animals have exoskeletons and breath through the skin, the soap suffocates them and they die. The soap washes off naturally and is biodegradable, which will not effect the quality of your smoke. Do not use commercial pesticides, they get into the plant and you end up smoking them.