Is This Abuse?

Discussion in 'All in the Family' started by Sharkman84, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

I Have No More To Add......:smilecat:

Cheers Glen.

2. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Sounds abusive to me. It does not matter if it's done in private how does that make it OK? If anything that is more concerning because if you can't do it in public what does that say about the punishment? A lot of people here will fall into the old "kids these days" arguments but they miss the point. Most adults are not going to care if you hit a kid in public. Will they like it? Probably not but the law is on the parent's side. You can hit your kid even though you really should not. But I gurentee the law does not protect the nude aspects. If this was a father and not a mom we are talking possible sex offender and pedophile charges for that. It's very odd why does the kid have to be nude? Does the man like it? These are the questions asked by the court.

3. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

What a strange thing to say, who doesnt have trust issues with some men?, Male used car salesmen are men, I would still have trust issues with Used Car salesmen, lawyers, Parking Rangers, Tax accountants, politicians etc, no matter who saw me naked when I was 10

5. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Love Your Work.....VG.....(two thumbs up)

Cheers Glen.

6. Kerri

Kerri Members

This is dead on. It’s absolutely abusive behavior. No one is being criminally charged over this one incident but that doesn’t make it right and there is mountains of research that suggest spanking is more harmful than helpful

The whole “kids these days” thing drives me nuts too. It’s been said for generations (you’re saying the exact same thing you rolled your eyes when your parents said) and it romanticizes a past that had some very ugly warts. How many times during the recent special election did we hear that it was okay for a 32 year old man to date a 14 year old girl.

You dismiss moonglow too easily too. There’s a giant difference between not being able to trust a used car salesmen and the impact that has on your life and not being able to have a healthy adult relationship because an abusive past has made you distrustful of all men

7. Kerri

Kerri Members

This totally misses the point. Not trusting a used car salesman does not impact your ability to have a healthy adult relationship

8. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

It happened 23 years ago, time to move on now

GLENGLEN likes this.
  9. Eric!

Do you have kids, Moonglow?

10. Eric!

Orison likes this.
  11. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

It does with a used car salesman.

And anyone remotely involved in the field of psychology, as its the same kind of trade: bullshitting people to get paid

12. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Double post

13. Kerri

Kerri Members

It’s not bullshitting people to get paid. It’s abusing people and creating a potentially lasting fear response that leaves the victim unable to feel safe.

14. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Well, in my opinion you're probably right, and the guy was abused. But I feel like a therapist would be beneficial anyway.

15. Kerri

Kerri Members

I have kids and agree with her that humiliation is not the right parenting strategy

scratcho, ahsorandy and Meliai like this.
  16. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

wow, so many armchair psychologists....LOL

quite simply there is not enough information given in the OP for anyone to form any informed opinion concerning whether this constituted abuse or not.
    We know absolutely nothing about the poster, his mother, family life, etc. aside from what has been relayed here by one side of the story.

He got a spanking and had to stand in the corner.....pfffff BFD.
    I'm sure my friend who I witnessed literally getting his ass kicked by his father because he broke his arm and couldn't pitch so their team lost a game would be laughing his ass off about this.

I WISH the worst I ever got was a spanking and standing in the corner naked.

interesting the big generational difference in our assessment of this event.
    If you haven't raised any kids, you really don't know WTF your talking about, IMHO.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    Hugs & Spit, morrow and Eric! like this.
  17. Eric!

Maybe not for you, maybe it's not necessary for YOUR kids. Im going to tell you that different cultures have varied opinions about how to correct undisciplined behavior. But kids have to learn what humiliation is, how it feels, and learn to be humble. I've seen kids out there cussing at thier parents, cuss thier teachers out in front of other students and think it's funny. Please tell me how you would address that as a mother? His mother didn't do these things in front of a group of folks, it was behind closed doors. When I was in grade school and you did something really bad, i.e. Disrespect a teacher in class, you went to the principals office and got your ass paddled good and hard. Then you stood with your nose in the corner out in the hallway for everyone to see you. What is your technique to address such behavior?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  18. Kerri

Kerri Members

Research has proven time and time again that humiliation does more harm than good. No one who knows anything about child development and education advocates anything like that.

scratcho and ahsorandy like this.
  19. morrow

morrow Visitor

Let's face it, times are changing, as is the outlook for what people allow their kids to get away with..

Parents have changed, kids have changed, nothing we can do about that..

We all have the duty to do the best for our kids, it's our job to teach them right from wrong, and to be respectful of others, and themselves..

You know what you don't see any more? Respect from kids to older people... That's what's wrong now.. is that down to parenting? Education?

When was the last time you seen a kid hold a door open for someone?
    When was the last time you were annoyed at the no please or thankyou?

That's where I see it...

ahsorandy and Eric! like this.
  20. morrow

morrow Visitor

How do you humiliate a child by making him stand against the wall? Is it because he is naked? It's his mother!

The op changed this by saying he thought his mother got a kick out of him being naked!

No one would have bothered if he hadn't said that! Was that because of where he was posting?

Op was probably a little brat that drove his mother mad!

I'm done here... It's a joke!

Eric! likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.