Is this a do-able grow-box?

Discussion in 'Cannabis Grow Rooms and Greenhouses' started by Rab-T38, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Rab-T38

Rab-T38 Member

I've read up about many grow-box's and I know a lot of the things that many have, but I was wondering if my way was sufficiant enough considering I'm on a budget considering the expensive carbon filters and hydrohut's... I figured I would line the walls up with reflective paper, have 2 Duel Flourescents (160 Watts) Hanging down with the 4 plants inside, but instead of closing it off and requiring all the ventilation, was wondering if I left the top open, if that would be good enough, If not, any opinions that can be added onto the design since it was already built, to make it better, but without having to go out and buy anything else much.

Current design:

[​IMG]

2. incognegrow

incognegrow Member

why do you need a box if you're just going to leave it open anyway? clearance is what you should be concerned with ,unless you plan on flowering very early .i say just forget the box thing and and just use your closet as your grow space, mainly because you will need more than three feet clearance . seeing as how the pots are going to take away from that three foot space anyway, which leaves you with like maybe a couple feet depending on how big they are. maybe you should use smaller pots so they dont grow too big....and how do you plan on configuring the light if the lid isnt on? i got two closets going i used twine to tie my lights to the hangar pole, which makes it easy to raise and lower. i got fans in there to push the stale air out the half opened door and it seems to be working fine for me.
    but if you need to use a box i say get one thats taller.
    hope this helps without confusing you
    negrow

3. Rab-T38

Rab-T38 Member

The reason the closet is out of the question, is because the lamps wont fit, their about 2 or 3 inches too long. The reason for the box, being open, is because the reflective paper makes more light for the plant in a smaller area when in comparison to an entire room.

The reason the 3 foot clearance isn't a problem, is that once the plant grows to that length, I plan on adding on additional height to the box. Which wouldn't be very difficult.

The way I plan on holding the lights up is actually different from the picture, I have hooks from the ceiling with chains that hold the lamps up, which are adaptable, as the plants grow, i unhook the chain and lift it a few links up. The open top is not only for ventilation, but chain space as well.

---------------------------------------

If it helps to know exactly how I'm growing, I wish I'd have a pic but currently don't have a digital yet. With that said, I'm using:

1.) 3 pots each holding 3 inch tall plants (because the 4th seems to have fallen over, with a white stem, whatever the cause is unknown to me)

2.) 4 Flourescent bulbs, 4 feet long, 2 Cool-Whites & 2 Warm-Whites

3.) I'm using regular Top Soil mixed with Peat Humus

Figured if I grew in a smaller closed in area, with reflective paper surrounding the inside, that it would provide better/more lighting to the plants as well as a good cover.

Just thought it would be more than better than the current setup I have.

With that said, I hope i've opened a door to more clarification, so perhaps I can get more feedback based on that information given. Still sound like a bad idea? If not, what else could I do to better it.

4. outlaw immortal

outlaw immortal Member

got your PM. as for being an experienced grower i have never grown yet but have done all the research.;)

i suppose it could work but you'd have to be able to adjust the height of the lights (3ft ain't enough to grow proper plants). also make sure that the fluoros don't cook your plants.

as for ventilation, if you have the money invest in a carbon filter with an extractor fan. if you don't have the money then you might be able to get away with a couple of small desk fans but the smell won't be delt with.:confused:

with reflective sheeting don't use aluminium foil (it creates hot spots on the leaves and will burn them), use mylar if you can afford it, if not just paint the walls white.

people like 'meangreen' and 'ekul le chet' would be better to ask as they have far more experience than me.

good luck :)

5. grouchy_old_dude

grouchy_old_dude Member

OK, first of all, your seedling probably "fell over" due to insufficient lighting AND insufficient circulation. Flouros need to be very close, within an inch or less, WITH a fan moving air across them to strengthen the stem.
    I see this problem consistantly from new growers. It's been years since I've had to support a seedling with sufficient lighting and air movement.

6. Rab-T38

Rab-T38 Member

That's not a problem, the height is able to be added onto once they get to at least 2 feet.

Basically what I'm being told is that i just need to at least get circulation in there, even though the top will remain openwhich would probably have to be computer fans, and make sure there is enough room in height for them to grow?

If that's basically it, then I should be set, just one more question:

If they are in a grow box, how can I put a fan on them? Would one of those desk fans be suitable? if so, they normally push to one direction, if the plant doesnt have a fan pushing from both sides, they wouldnt grow sideways? In the direction the fan is blowing them in?

7. outlaw immortal

outlaw immortal Member

plants produce something (i can't remember what its called) on the leaves. its a hormone which encourages plants to grow towards light. so as long as your fan isn't on a level that is too high it shouldn't matter.

desk fans arn't ideal but i suppose if you're low on money they could be used.

8. Rab-T38

Rab-T38 Member

I'm not too familiar with Mylar, just know it's good for reflecting light. So if I were to go to Home-Depot/Lowes and ask for Mylar, that's like asking for steal, there are many things made of steal, they'de just ask me what for, since Mylar isn't just a single product, so what would I ask for?

9. outlaw immortal

outlaw immortal Member

mylar reflective sheeting. it looks like a roll of aluminium foil - just a different colour.

10. Rab-T38

Rab-T38 Member

Out of curiosity, what's its actual purpose for?

11. outlaw immortal

outlaw immortal Member

mylar is very reflective. you use it to get the most out of your lights ie - by reflecting as much light back at the plant as possible. it makes your growing operation more efficient.

12. Rab-T38

Rab-T38 Member

Damnit, that's what i've been asking for from Lowes and Home-Depot and neither of them have it, and there isn't anywhere else around here I could get anything like that from.

13. incognegrow

incognegrow Member

try going to a nursery or a garden store like ace hardware. but mylar is expensive and since you are using flouresents hot spots shouldnt be a problem if you use the dull side of regular foil . i made a reflector out of cardboard box flaps and heavy duty foil and i havent had problems with it yet but then again i use my whole closet . i let my plants grow up to the light till its almost touching the bulb and i got 5 compact flouros over mine 26/100 watters and i have no burn issues because i keep a fan going and i open the door in the morning and close it just before they go to bed .

depending on what type of box that is you hshould be able to cut a hole so your computer fan pulls fresh air from out side the box to inside the box . one low and one high. you dont nessacerilly need to go purchase a carbon scrubber . but you can purchase a carbon filter that you can just put near of over your box if theres no room inside . it costs about 40 bucks at wall mart . someone posted a pic of theirs on here somewhere i just dont remember who it was of the name of the thread . but thats not really an issue if you have plants that dont smell too strong . i got 5 plants in my veg closet right now and only one is putting off an aroma right now . she smells beautiful but if i took that one out the only smell in my closet would be from the soil.

eitherway i hope this helps , i gotta go spray some folliage
    negrow

14. Rab-T38

Rab-T38 Member

Isnt ace hardware an automotive store? They have the Mylar reflective tape, but not the film.

And I've called every nursery from Deltona to Orange city which is at least 15, non of them seem to have it, any idea why?? Gah

15. grouchy_old_dude

grouchy_old_dude Member

the emergency space blankets, in the hunting department, are a thin form of mylar. Not quite as strong as the markeued "Mylar" but sufficient for temporary use.

16. jahrass

jahrass Member

check ebay hydrophonics mylar 10 m by 1.5 m for £19.19 free delivery

17. plug

plug Member

beware some of these kind of space blankets burn like hell. i like to test how flamable the material i put in a grow box is just to be sure. i got hold of one of these to use on the outside of a room. i was all up for using it until i set light to a corner,it went up like a petrol soaked rag and stank like crap for hours so needless to say it went in the bin.

18. OOsmoke

OOsmoke Member

I would suggest mounting a computer fan on one end. Leaving the top open it should provide enough fresh air movement to keep them healthy. Look into the sea of green method, you could easily have 8-10 plants in that box.