Is there true love after first love?

Discussion in 'True Love' started by PeAcHFloWeRz, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

I think there is no such thing as "true" love in the sense of that love being any greater than any other love. If it feels like it is then maybe the lesser love should be redefined as something less than love.

I've always said love is simply the strongest emotion we know. So it isn't fair to say a couple of 14 yr old kids are experiencing "puppy love" as if someone being an adult gives them the right to devalue someone elses current most powerful feeling. They are in love because how they feel is more powerful than anything they've yet to experience. Love evolves and our definition may change over time. That doesn't mean that one love was true and one isn't.

Love...to me...isn't the varying levels of emotion that I've had with past women. Love is how I feel about my daughter. I would die for her right now without reservation. I happen to feel the exact same way about my wife. Of course, the relationships are drastically different but that is because of circumstances and not because of two different kinds of love. Does that make any sense?

2. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

Just to clarify...I'm not saying that we don't love some people more than others. I'm saying it's the same single emotion applied and doled out according to circumstances. I only used my family as an example of where I most easily feel that pure emotion.

3. usedtobehoney

usedtobehoney Senior Member

Well said wizardofodd :)

4. Alternative_Thinker

Alternative_Thinker Darth Mysterious

Totally makes sense. That's exactly how I view this thing called "love", as well. Kudos! :2thumbsup:

5. Quiet Storm

Quiet Storm Member

Every time you feel love, it's 'true' love.
    Your heart can sincerely love someone -- part from or lose them and 'truly' love someone else you later encounter in your life.
    Our hearts are amazing. It can get so full of love, be ripped to shreds and exhausted of all hope -- but heal in time, and also be capable of loving and trusting all over again.

6. Stanjr722

Stanjr722 Member

I don't know. I'm 41 and I only really felt love with one person. It's been several years and although I liked others I couldn't love them. I don't know that I want to love again.