Is there such an afterlife as “Valhalla”?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Xboxoneandsports32490, Sep 13, 2022.

1. Xboxoneandsports32490

Xboxoneandsports32490 Members

I have a friend who believes this, but he says that people who get “killed or slain” in the line of combat or people who die during wars or conflicts don’t end up going to either a Heaven or a Hell? But their souls end up in “Valhalla”? Would you believe that? What about Nazis? Would all Nazis who died during the war just all end up in “Valhalla”??? What’s your opinion on this? Do you argue that Valhalla is a real place people go when they are killed during war? Or is this just a fairy tale?

2. themnax

themnax Senior Member

what is unknown is unknown. there is diversity of the possible in this life. i wouldn't tell anyone yea or nea as to the nature of any life between lives as we know them, on random worlds were life in some form is possible. i suspect how a person has made themselves in life, in this life or even some previous, creates their perspective, which could be a large factor as to what and how they experience in any life, or non-physical 'life' between lives, should there be such a thing. and perspective doesn't have to mean what we would like, though that is possible too. really whatever there is, owes noting to anything anyone tells anyone else, or even we tell ourselves, what to think we know about it.

since there are many times more we don't know then there is that we do, or such at any rate is my belief, it is equally more likely to be something, or some many things, no belief, dominant or otherwise, has as yet ever thought of, then anything any of them ever has.

3. Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet Lifetime Supporter

Being interested in Viking and Viking culture, only those warriors that fell in battle if selected by Odin and his Valkyries could enter Valhalla ..:)

4. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

Those whose souls end up in Valhalla still have to fight in aid of Odin against the giants during Ragnarök as per Norse mythology. And since Odin is a god, obviously he would want ethical warriors with righteous motivation to fight for him, imho. Nazis who killed innocent civilians would be murderers instead of soldiers, and I am not sure whether Odin would want their aid.

In eastern religious epics there is no such concept of Valhalla. You enjoy heaven or suffer hell on account of your karmas or actions, good or bad.

Duryodhana, who is the arch-villain of the Mahabharatha, is slain in battle after fighting bravely. As a consequence of his virtues of strength and courage, he enjoys heavenly worlds in the beginning and later had to suffer in the hellish dimensions on account of his vices of hatred,selfishness and greed.

5. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Heaven and Hell do not exist - this is a figment of imagination created by various religions to frighten the masses to keep attending their respective churches/temples etc

6. Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. Xboxoneandsports32490

Amen to this! I only have one life to live, not going to waste it being in fear of the “Fires of Hell”. If God wants to burn people who “sin”: That seems like that’s none of my business.

Vladimir Illich likes this.
  8. Xboxoneandsports32490

Kind of off topic to this, but my friend told me that in Irish/Celtic mythology: Theirs is called “Tir Nan Og” I believe? He said that’s where irish believe they go when they die?

9. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Brunhilde is stripped of her immortality and the ring is returned to the depths of the Rhine.
    Provided that we have watched all 13 hours of the Wagnerian operas, we all know that this is how it all ends.

Or put more simply............... "It is not over, until the fat lady sings".

10. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

I actually thought you were talking in jest with respect to the op. :rolleyes:

If you are worried about hell-fire you will create a hell of your present life. I know of people who suffered from psychiatric illnesses due to excessive paranoia of the Devil and Hell.

Adherence to virtues and vices is potent enough to create heaven or hell on earth though. If you have the virtues of punctuality and precision in your work, you can be rest assured of promotion and bonuses. Vices of sloth and carelesness will soon get you fired.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
  11. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

I rather prefer "Fiddler's Green".

The only heavens and hells that I am aware of are those which we confabulate between our own two ears, believe to be true, and then proceed to inflict upon ourselves and each other.

themnax likes this.
  12. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

"Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.'"
    Napoleon Bonaparte

Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
  14. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

FB_IMG_1663257501739.jpg

themnax likes this.