Is there ever a reason to kill besides self defense?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by wheelchairfrver, Jul 22, 2013.

1. *MAMA*

*MAMA* Perfectly Imperfect

:iagree:

2. antithesis

antithesis Hello

I guess I am just not as blood thirsty as you people ;)

It might be just because I am weak, but I could never kill someone unless it was self-defense or the defense of someone else. I really couldn't revenge kill.

3. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

It is perfectly fine to kill if it soothes the dark passenger.

4. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

what if you had a baby or toddler and someone killed them?
    I can't even stand thinking about that but ... in that case i'd be getting my revenge on if someone who knew me didn't lock me in a room..

5. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

Dexter, is that you? :)

I think we are all capable of killing given the right set of circumstances. Most of us will not do so but that does not mean that there will not be times we contemplate that someone does deserve to die. Not a pretty thought but we know that thinking is not doing and so we can live with that.

6. antithesis

antithesis Hello

I feel like there is some idea that if a person isn't willing to revenge kill, then they must not love strong enough. Obviously I would be really angry and upset if that happened, but I still wouldn't kill the person. I can't even watch violence on TV because it upsets me so much. I don't have it in my to take someone's life, but that doesn't mean that I don't feel things deeply.

7. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

No, I would never insinuate that that doesn't mean you don't love enough. And honestly before I had my son I felt the same way mostly...

8. antithesis

antithesis Hello

I can imagine fantasizing about it, I just feel like I would never in a million years actually follow through with it.

9. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

haha honestly I do not know what i'd do in that position...cannot know and hope to never have to learn

10. *MAMA*

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure I would follow through with it. Even my own mother has said that about me.

11. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

I'd prolly try to be all sneaky and hire a hitman and he'd prolly, knowing my luck, be a federal agent. yep.

12. *MAMA*

Hahaha! I'd make it personal. No doubt.

13. lode

lode Banned

If the moneys right.

14. themnax

themnax Senior Member

lunch, or to stop those in the process of committing genocide.

15. Paulwenz

Paulwenz Banned

Am Terro,
    "Off topic ... but I cannot seeing your name without seeing the name Paul Wolfowitz. Just sayin."

Paul Wenz was a writer, mate of Gide, Jack london etc, wrote in Australia.
    few people would know that.

16. FlyingFly

FlyingFly Dickens

If you don't like the asshole.

Really, what else are you gonna do? Tolerate him? Just shoot!

/sarcasm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQUr2RkjykU"]Louis C.K - If Murder Was Legal - YouTube

17. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Some "people" just need killing. They look like the rest of us, but that's the difficult part. How do you tell what they are BEFORE they commit horrible acts on others? You can't , so these acts will continue. A few highly publisized executions of serial killers, child molestors, etc, might be a deterent, but I doubt it. Maybe some day science will advance far enough to be able to tell from the results of MRI scans whether the proclivity for extreme, unacceptable social behaviour (as mentioned previously) is present. Then perhaps some efficient remedial action concomitant with a particular affliction-- as indicated --could be undertaken. "till then--keep your powder dry and your eyes open.

Anyone harms anyone in my family--my ONLY job from that time forward would be to find and kill me a motherfucker.

18. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

when psychologists talk about EXTREME cases, serial killers, murderers sadists etc, they sometimes use the phrase "the perfect storm" its the exact right combination of mental abnormality (occasionally resulting from serious injury) genetic predisposition and childhood trauma/abuse. all of these elements are present in the lives of the most extreme

what particularly interests me is the monstrous couples; ian brady and myra hindley, fred and rose west, for example, people who had the past and the genetics and the trauma and all of the other elements, but the thing which pushed them over the edge seems to have been the nature of their relationships to each other; would fred and rose west have killed individually if they had never met each other? or were their crimes a result of the combination of both of them?

i actually developed a morbid fascination with the wests, as my mother, but for a lucky accident, might well have been abducted by them (she was at the same age as one of the girls who was abducted, and waited at the same bus-stop from which she disapeared at the time when she disapeared, alone , every day, except on the day that it happened, i forget why) 'tis fucking strange to hear the recordings of fred west's voice and think "i might not exist thanks to you, but for a chance coincidence." but i digress.

my point is that a simple MRI scan would never be able to predict these things, they are always a combination of internal AND external elements, almost impossible to predict, many people with excatly the same genetic predisositions towards violence and similar childhood experiences manage to overcome them and function, in fact the vast majority do. its easy for us to think of people as being "inherently evil" and that therefore we should be able to spot and "cure" them, but it isn't the case, killers are both born AND made.

19. lode

lode Banned

I find that incredibly interesting. All the things which we consider evil today, and you know really are evil things which destroy lives, serial killers and child molesters, there's probably a neurological basis to all that.

Something that conceivably could be cured, maybe even with just a pill or something. That thought really adds weight to the banality of evil.

"Sorry, can't come into work boss, I forgot to take my medicine this morning and now I just want to murder." :devil:

20. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I recently saw (60 minutes? Dateline? News?) That a certain area of the brain "lights up" when people were having their brains checked live and were told to lie. They said that that method may be much more accurate than the standard lie detector tests in use for years. So, I can still see SOME possibility for this method, however I agree that killers are 'both born and made.' You never know what scientific breakthroughs will be made. When the person that raised me was born---no cars--no tv--no planes--well--you get the idea that it wasn't that long ago that those ideas were probably thought ridiculous.