Is there a hippy town there?

Discussion in 'Spain' started by surfluvinguy, Aug 15, 2006.

1. surfluvinguy

surfluvinguy Member

I'm looking for a beach town full of hippies, anywhere in the world...where is it? California is becoming too...expensive, trendy, overrun...any ideas?

2. GHOSTCRAB

GHOSTCRAB Banned

Canary Islands,You can watch whales or sail over to Gomera.

3. DertyRottinTRAMP

DertyRottinTRAMP Member

Las Negras, its a beach/ caves community in southern spain on the coast of the mediteranian. its near a city called motril i believe. but you didnt hear it from me hahaha

4. DertyRottinTRAMP

DertyRottinTRAMP Member

oh also, there is a very special village way up in the mountains called orgiva. Orgiva has a long exciting history of "communities". the town is surrounded by many different squatted village communities, some dating back 300 years. they are all inhabited by a mix of permanent residents and travelers. they have their own schools (LOTS and LOTS of people raising children here), farms, and restaurants. the majority of the homes i encountered there were all on solar, and many of the people are really in to alternative structures and VERY knowledgeable about them; lots of geodesics and yurt style homes. most of the travelers have bread truck type vehicles that they have converted ( very cleverly) into homes and most of them run on veg. there are so many amazing things going on there. the orgiva area was probably the most inspiring part of my time in europe. there is a shit ton of germans and english folk there too so its NO problem if you dont speak spanish. if you are ever in spain be sure to check this area out. this whole area of the country and spreading all the way to southern france is scattered with tons of communities like this. just ask around.........

5. Svi

Svi Member

There is a permanent Rainbow community at Benefecio, near Grenada.
    BTW there are also hippy galore in Northern California
    love ya' bye

6. THC4SIM

THC4SIM Member

Goa!!!, you will not need all that much money either!!
    im sure you could have a little place in spain and india for next to nothing if you dont mind roughing it a bit!

7. emelia

emelia the resident gangsta

I have lived in most of the Canary Islands, and some are hippie-ish, and some are not. I would rule out Gran Canaria and Tenerife. When I lived in Fuerteventura, EVERYONE was a hippie, it had such a laid back lifestyle (I really recommend it). But then again, that was a few years ago, and I've heard rumours that it's changing :(

8. cyclamen

cyclamen Member

Beneficio has changed so much : drugs... and people who don't know anything most of the time about "hippy life" or don't even say hello ! It used to be a place for Rainbow people and I enjoyed it a lot at that time ...
    Fuerteventura? The nicest island in the Canarias. No more than 15 hippies last time I was there. Almost invisible ! Some eco-villages in La Palma; not appreciated by the country folks, except the official ones made for tourists by the Government. Drugs at la Gomera.
    South of France ? Can't call them hippies, except sometimes by the look... Alternative people, sure, yet who wants to talk, talk, talk with people with whom existence is not happy and who are not congenial at all ?

9. RaggaButterfly

RaggaButterfly Member

No. beneficio is still a rainbow community, i live near there and i visit often. beneficio is free of drugs, alcohol and meat, its a community full of peace, but there may be the occasional traveller that stays in beneficio who is not peaceful. its an amazing place.

10. RaggaButterfly

RaggaButterfly Member

DertyRottinTRAMP.. do you know exactly where las negras is??

11. malage

malage Guest

las negras is in almeria, near where I live. it's a small town in beach. This zone has so a beautiful beaches and mountains, orgiva, bubion... ask me if you wanna know more!

12. barefoot lass

barefoot lass Member

CaƱos de Meca

13. kingfish

kingfish Guest

Hello can any one give me some more info about the daiky life in Beneficio Whats the down side livibg there ? whats the spirit among the people iam going to live there from mars 2011 and mabey for the rest of my life iam seeling all i got and have bought a campervan

14. Ellen22

Ellen22 Guest

Ohh I just love the idea of moving to Fuerteventura! I'm so pleased you said its engulfed with hippies. But how easy is it to move over their on a limited budget? dream dream dreams...! :afro: