Is the world overpopulated, or are we just underdeveloped?

Discussion in 'Political Polls' started by broony, May 26, 2011.

1. danceswithrabbits

danceswithrabbits Member

That's not quite right. The only reason we don't want to NOT reproduce, is because we HAVEN'T been conditioned to not want to.

It is pure instinct to reproduce, otherwise we wouldn't be here to discuss it.

2. Primal

Primal Member

All those double negatives are rather confusing... So basically, we breed because its in our genetic make up?

3. def zeppelin

def zeppelin All connected

I think that resources are just being used unwisely. Poor families all around the world have more children because more hands are useful. As people become richer, they tend to have less children.

There is a struggle between the rich and everyone else and the two simply don't mix. Eventually there is going to be a tipping point, just like we're seeing in Germany; I expect something like that but worldwide.

4. mustlivelife

mustlivelife Knows nothing!

I suppose there is some truth in that, though there are many cases to count against the existence of "instincts" in human beings. Homosexuals, for instance, where is their instinct to reproduce? I would say it is instinct to reproduce IF the need arises, whereas the reproduction we see today is a matter or conditioning. Girls raised from a young age playing with dolls, for instance. And when you see everyone else doing certain things, more often than not it will have an influence on you, especially from birth. Instincts, to me, are but another thing we learn. We have an urge for the pleasure that sex can give us - as we have an urge for whatever else gives us pleasure - but we have no idea it makes a baby until somebody tells us.

5. ronny25

ronny25 Member

They may not be able to retire, and perhaps even be denied the health care they need simply because society cannot afford to support them. A dreary quality of life (and in the worst case scenario, a shorter one despite rising life expectancies) for the seniors of the future. But that's just one possible outcome; I'm no expert on this.

6. primalflow

primalflow Member

Natioal Geographic put out an issue announcing an official population count of 7 billion.
    In it they stated:
    - For a theoretical party consisting of 7 billion people We would need an area the size of Rhode Island.
    - to stand shoulder to shoulder: Los Angeles.

It's simple. We live far beyond necessity.

7. primalflow

primalflow Member

[for some reason, my ebook keeps doing things twice]

8. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

BOTH!
    If all made a worthwhile contribution to the things that we need to do then 'united' we can move forward. Sadly in my experience it seems, far too many people 'want' to do less, for more = something for nothing, and there is an uneven balance between those of that ilk and others who give up their time, effort and money for the sake of the "neighbour" and/or those of 'undeveloped' resources.
    I say resources, because in this world of IT gadgetry, I am sure that there are many labour saving devices and that can be utilised, however (and here comes the conspiracy theory) the rich will not remain so if these products were 'bestowed' on others for free.
    Whilst there are some entrepreneurs out there making an effort, it is those corporate shadows that retain a lifestyle of opulence and in some cases know no better! where the distribution of development is stifled
    Maybe it is 'just me then'(?)

9. willedwill

willedwill Member

Benazir Bhutto shall come back and replace the so-called heroes of over-population. The rich people in Pakistan know the overpopulation problem well.:hurray: but do nothing, eh? YET And the moral is...:hippy:

10. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Population control will inevitably have to happen. I'll be worm chow by then, but humans seem to wait until disasters happen instead of preparing for them,so why will it be any differant in the future? 10-20-30-billion? That will be a disaster. Hey--more people-more "consumers". That seems to be the most important condition to consider for anyone that could actually DO anything about it.

11. indydude

indydude Senior Member

I dont think we are short of water. We just have wrong ideas about how to manage water. Water is an element. It doesn't disappear.

12. indydude

indydude Senior Member

Sex is conditioned into our young people. We, society, teach our kids about sex and the result is more babies. Children are a huge industry from medical to food, clothing, schooling. Business and government wants us to have lots of children. More taxpayers, workers, consumers.

13. meridianwest

meridianwest Senior Member

water is a molecule not an element. and according to current understanding of physics and chemistry everything (including the elements) will eventually disappear.

with water it's simply a matter of rate of consumption vs rate of refresh. if rate of consumption > rate of refresh = water shortage. we're not there yet, but add another 10 bill to this planet and we just might.

14. willedwill

willedwill Member

I know how to cheer you guys. Volcanoes can spill out missing amounts of water; water missing from the amounts measurable volumes balanced throughout the earth's surface. Certain balances can be geologically justified anyway for the past ice ages.:afro:

15. walsh

walsh Senior Member

Why? Human consumption does not eliminate water from circulation - it is consumed, excreted and returned entirely to nature. Unless you mean 'consumption' as being extinguished, say, in hydrolysis reactions, which would be extremely unlikely as it covers about 70% of the Earth's surface.

16. Rutz

Rutz The Farming Communist

I don't think that the world is overpopulated, but that our resource use is ridiculous.

17. broony

broony Banned

We hit 7 billion at the end of October 2011.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/oct/31/world/la-fg-seven-billionth-baby-20111031

Some of us might not see population problems in our home town, or country. That doesnt mean other parts of the world are not over populated, and usually they are the ones who need the most help.

Since the thread started tell now i still frimly believe we have to many people. I dont understand how why someone wouldnt think so...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i suspect that 7 billion is a lowball figure to keep people from shitting their pants. that we actually it that mark somewhere around 1980. the we may actually be at somewhere closer to 14 billion right now. i'm not suggesting that can be proven, but that's just the point: how verifiable are census figures anyway. in advanced countries they may be close to accurate, though still missing around 5% or so. but in less developed majority of the globe, where the largest populations are, the uncounted could easily be close to half the population.

19. ink8290

ink8290 Member

i think allot of the worlds assets are poorly managed. wars in particular destroy allot of the healthy resource management on the planet.

20. themnax

themnax Senior Member

absolutely true. and absolutely not an excuse for not taking every REASONABLE measure to reduce population growth. (in a fair and unbiased manor)