Is the Qur'an the Word of God?

Discussion in 'Islam' started by maharaj, May 22, 2004.

1. brothwood

brothwood Member

I was brought up to the belief of equality, freedom and I am so thankful to my parents that I was not pressured into becoming religious because it has gains me knowledge on how religion is opposite equality and freedom. I hate when Christians preechg about freedom and equality when they believe ONE God is setting us rules and if we dont obey we will end up in the fires of HELL! So why aren't more people demanding dictators in these countries instead of overruling them? Please somebody question me, and show me that if God is real than he/she/it is not a dictator by the human definition.

2. cabdirazzaq

cabdirazzaq Member

What is complete freedom which you speak of, if you do not obey the All knowing and All wise, our lord.

Then seest thou such a one as takes as his god his own vain desire? Allah has, knowing (him as such), left him astray, and sealed his hearing and his heart (and understanding), and put a cover on his sight. Who, then, will guide him after Allah (has withdrawn Guidance)? Will ye not then receive admonition?

I have to go now, I can hear the call for prayer (Im in syria)

3. brothwood

brothwood Member

Okay maybe athieists don't have total freedom from the world, but surely when we believe in equality that gives us more freedom to do as we which whilst religion tells people how to live and threatens them if they do not obey, hey sounds familiar! can you imagine what George Bush may do if we discovered God may have being planning to develope weapons of mass destruction

4. eat_some_LSD

eat_some_LSD Senior Member

I, as an athiest, have the freedom to deem a religion or spiritual set of beliefs based on experiences of things in my life that have bearing on any given situation. Allah can "try" to lead me...but just because he says he does doesn't mean squat to me.

I'm not going to bash you for following an organized religion; Hell, I envy you.

Religion is simply a spiritual "guide" for people who can't differentiate wrong from right by their own choice. These people tend to be, while weak in mind, strong in merit and values. I have no regret when I screw someone over, in fact, I'm happy that I came out on top. ;)

5. xdianax

xdianax Member

This is for those who may not have seen my original post:

For those of you who believe in the Bible and/or Qur'an, does your belief in these pieces of literature influence your feelings about Evolution and other Scientific theories?

:) Namaste,

Diana

6. brothersun

brothersun Member

Yes i agree one must look at the creation to know and begin and understand the creater.

7. Cosmic Butterfly

Cosmic Butterfly Member

He is serious. Jesus is a great prophet in Islam. Jesus's name is actually Isa, or Isu. Over time it has been developed to Jesus in the English language. Isa is Jesus and he is the Quran preforming the same miracles. The only difference is that Jesus did not become ressurected. He went to God. Jews dont even recognize Jesus as something great.

8. Cosmic Butterfly

Cosmic Butterfly Member

I like that quote it is very beautiful. Jesus was such a buddha to me. I wish all those war hawks who claim to be religous lovers of Jesus remember who he was. Got any more Jesus quotes???

9. cabdirazzaq

cabdirazzaq Member

As long as nothing of it oppose any of my believes I would not deny it as a lie but if it does go against islamic teachings such as to say that we were once apes I refuse to accept it.

Allah(may he be exalted) does not need us to fight enemies, infact he doesnt need us at all.

O ye men! It is ye that have need of Allah: but Allah is the One Free of all wants, worthy of all praise.Quran: [35.15]

But he tries us and most people doesn´t know this.

And if Allah willed He could have punished them (without you) but (thus it is ordained) that He may try some of you by means of others.... [Quran: 47.4]

1. Blessed be He in Whose hands is Dominion; and He over all things hath Power;-
    2. He Who created Death and Life, that He may try which of you is best in deed: and He is the Exalted in Might, Oft-Forgiving;-
    [Quran 67]

10. xdianax

xdianax Member

Haha, actually I had the Theory of Evolution in mind when I said "Scientific Theories". So you really deny all the evidence that supports the theory of evolution? I don't think that coming from apes is a bad/negative thing; :) I think it's very humbling, and helps me remember to try not to harm other organisms (including bugs!).

It seems like when you say apes, you think that's a bad thing. :H apes seem pretty cool to me

Diana

11. cabdirazzaq

cabdirazzaq Member

I do not deny every part of it but only that which refutes my beliefs. These scientific theories can be divided into different groups.

For example:

1. Those which I refuse to believe because of opposing views from Quran and Hadith.

Such as the idea that man went through a long line of evolution, once being a bacteria, once a fish, ape or what ever.

2. Those which I do accept as truth because of reason or because of proof from Quran and Hadith.

Such as the statement that the heavens and the earth was once one structure and that it later separated and that water is a source for life.

Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens and the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We parted them And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe
    [quran 21.30]

3. Those which I do not know wether they are truth or false.

Such as to say that our nearest star Alfa centauri is 4.3 light years away.

Now let me ask you, how does these theories about evolution go together with your beliefs, and how does the existance of a Creator fit in to your beliefs, do you not see?

For surely it is not the eyes that are blind, but blind are the hearts which are in the breasts [quran 22.46]

I mean do you really believe that the wind, trees, the sun and the moon, all these creatures are all created by chance.

And We created not the heavens and the earth, and all that is between them, in play. [Quran 44.38]

Do you really disbelieve in the resurrection, the day of justice and judgement, do you believe that this is the end or do you believe in karma?

And he makes comparisons for Us, and forgets his own (origin and) Creation: He says, "Who can give life to (dry) bones and decomposed ones (at that)?"

Say, "He will give them life Who created them for the first time! for He is Well-versed in every kind of creation!-
    [Quran 36.78-79]

And finally how is buddhism fitting you, tell me about negatives, postitives and such things?

12. xdianax

xdianax Member

Well, :D technically that can be seen as to agree with the Theory of Evolution. In the theory it is believed that our origin, and the origin of all life on Earth came from the water. The first living organisms lived in the ocean, and all life technically originated from the water.

Hmm, well I try to base my opinions around things that agree with my own logical reasoning. So, in terms of Evolution, I believe in Natural Selection and the Theory of Evolution, because my Biology teacher showed us all of the evidence, and evolution seems to make sense. However, I don't think this necessarily means that asll living things were created by chance. If I was dedicated to a monothiestic religion, I would probably still think that God could have simply caused the beginnings of life, letting it evolve on its own, knowing what would happen over billions of years.
    For me personally, I have no problem accepting the possibility that my existence is based on chance. Although it would be nice to know that I was specially created, I really am indifferent to either possibility. To me, it isn't all that important.

Well from what I have heard, Jesus was a really cool guy. I don't really believe in the resurrection or a day of judgement. If I will come to be judged, then, haha, I will just say to God that I am sorry and accept Heaven or Purgatory or Hell.
    It's interesting, because before I even got into Buddhism, I remember thinking about reincarnation and accepting/believing in it. It was an eerie coincidence that Buddhism had the same beliefs on it that I already had (kinda). I thought that I would die, and be born as another person or living thing, in the past or future, although I wouldn't remember myself or my characteristics, basically "I" would be born a totally different person.
    I don't know if I believe in karma, I am kind of undecided on it. I do feel a sense of shame when I think ill things because of its effects on the rest of this life, but not really because of its effect on other lifetimes.

Buddhism has been going pretty well with me actually, thanks for asking :) I find that I agree with a lot of its teachings already. To me the four noble truths were something I always knew about (well the first two anyway). I mean since I was 11 I have believed that in human life we are always suffering, and it is because we have this unquenchible thirst. I couldn't believe the noble truths said the same thing as I had already thought.

I think the positives are that I get to read and learn about a lot of things that agree with my beliefs, and on the forums there are so many great people that I can connect with, and who all are compassionate. I enjoy a lot of the practices (e.i. meditation, yoga, debate) as well. Many of the things I have come to read since I have become Buddhist have been extremely eye-opening, and provide wonderful insight. The idea of becoming a more compassionate person is heartwarming to me.

Some of the negatives are that because I don't know anyone else in my area who is Buddhist, and I dont have a temple or Buddhist school to go to, I am isolated, and it is extremely hard to persue the religion without a friend or teacher around. Also, sometimes I find that I like a structured life (for example, I find that I like Islam's 5 prayers a day), and for me Buddhism doesn't really provide that. I mean I know that I should meditate and chant, but because I am isolated, and I have so much free time, I end up procrastinating, and have trouble keeping up on meditation.

I love Buddhism, but I would love even more if I had a friend or someone to practice with.

Diana

13. xdianax

xdianax Member

Now that I have shared my thoughts, I would be delighted if you would respond to the same question. How is Islam going for you? Are there any particular likes or dislikes you have about the religion?

:) In kindness,

Diana

14. cabdirazzaq

cabdirazzaq Member

Well lets see.. A small biography then

When I was younger, I didn´t care the least about religion or about my behaviour to others, I was extremly self deluded and boastful and I use to love killing my time whatching tv. That´s acually how I learned english but as I was growing up I started thinking that there must be more to life other than killing your time around a tv or with friends, this was around the time I was 14 years old(around the time you started thinking about religion too, right?) . My parents are both muslim and I my self soon started practising the religion and found it relaxing.

Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest." (Ar-Ra'd/28)

It changed my life completly, because now I started thinking in terms of religion, I started loving that which I was supposed to love and hating that which I was supposed to hate but I was and am still happy with it. It also changed my poor grades, I went from D to A in 4 subjects and my personality changed, I became alot more quit and shy. I can´t until this day stand 2feet next to a girl without shaking or blushing. I can´t say I´ve found any negatives in my religion but alot from muslims who do not follow islamic teaching and then spread alot of wrong in the world. Muslim nation has alot of problem facing it but Allah(may he be exalted) is its protecter.

Their intention is to extinguish Allah's Light (by blowing) with their mouths: But Allah will complete (the revelation of) His Light, even though the Unbelievers may detest (it). [Quran 61.8]

The religon of Abraham(peace be upon him) the true and straight way.

Abraham was not a Jew nor yet a Christian; but he was true in Faith, and bowed his will to Allah's (Which is Islam), and he joined not gods with Allah [Quran 3.67]

15. sylvanlightning

sylvanlightning Prismatic Essence

So perception rotates
    the idea of evolution
    this human centered constriction.

Tuning in our intent,
    to a sliver of the spectrum,
    we become spiky knobs.

Drawn to the finite abstraction,
    we breed anger, fear and suffering,
    with the artistry of emotional splintering.

Beyond this illusion
    a dragonfly remembers
    our primordial hoary species.

Frequencies beyond ultraviolet sounds
    are reached by freeing the energy body
    stagnating in these Archetypical ideas.

Offering oblations of clarity
    by clearing the structure
    of these transparent wind webs.

Grow spiral horns of power
    while consideration, compassion and dualism
    guide you falling like a snow storm of runes.

Azure plains of beyond...
    Gliding along this elliptical mirrored path
    winding me into myself.

Revolving on...
    earth: soul listening linking
    glimpse inside insight.

Elemental tidal dancing...
    embracing rooting;
    sun nimbus; galaxy nucleus; universe cupola.

Luminous egg pulsing.
    Bursting without self-reflection.
    Balance searing frozen densities.

A grouping of our senses
    intermixes the minds texture
    as drifting vapory recursion.

He opens as intuition to the sparkling void,
    where appearance dissolving,
    leaves but dissolution.

Rainbow library storehouses,
    housing gem tablets of emerald alchemy
    and dravidian ruby...

Point to the trinity cross section,
    as means for rose transmutation,
    in the life soil of the gardens breast.

United dragon currents weaving this body of void,
    from the space within your atoms,
    around these my children you call stars.

Expand beyond the river of not,
    containing your conception of limits,
    on the bridge of equality.

The One Self will
    reunite you with
    the myriad facets of the Infinite.

16. sylvanlightning

sylvanlightning Prismatic Essence

Yes, vague and distant was the poem entry. ...perhaps a book quote is not orthodox commentary either... "The Last Barrier" by Reshad Feild pgs 20-21

"Once there was a rose bush. It was carefully planted so that the roots grew deep in the soil that had long been prepared to receive it. These roots were Abraham. As the rose grew it was necessary that it be correctly pruned, otherwise it would eventually go wild and would not fulfil the intention that the gardener had for it. The stem, through the good earth, the deep roots, and the prunning, was straight and strong. That stem was Moses. One day the most perfect rose that had ever been seen appeared in bud. That bud was Jesus. The bud opened; that bloom was Muhammed."

The Sheikh paused, and turned and spoke to his wife. She left the room and returned with a small glass phial. He pointed to me and she came across the room to stand in front of me. "Take it," he said, "and tell me what it is." I took the phial in my hand and smelled it. "It is rosewater," I replied. "Attar of roses. It is the essence of the rose."

The Sheikh smiled and beckoned me to come and sit in front of him. His presence was overwhelming. He took my hand in his. "Listen to me carefully and on your journey remember what I have to tell you. Now mankind needs the smell of the rose. One day he will not even need that."

Then he bent forward and kissed my hands, raising them together to his forehead. Putting his right hand over my head, he blew out into the room: "Huuuuuu."

17. Rhythmdevil

Rhythmdevil Member

The sad truth is that all religious texts whether they are Islamic, Christian, or even Buddhist and Hindu are all interpretations over hundreds of years in dozens of different languages, some of which don't even exist anymore. To take any religious text as the "true Word of God", in my opinion, is a very risky action. For most people it is perfectly fine, and I have no problem with it. But just remember this, the world was considered FLAT for thousands of years, and THAT was a fact for a REALLY long time....

18. Rhythmdevil

Rhythmdevil Member

19. Brocktoon

Brocktoon Banned

Your assertion is not a 'Sad Truth' or even a ' Whole Truth'.

For Starters... Islams Scriptures were written in Arabic and are still read in Arabic.
    Cabdirazz reads Arabic... the language the Koran is and was written in.
    Buddhism,
    Hinduism
    Christian Scriptures are all very different histories. Since I know about Christianity I will try and correct your unfounded assertion.

Now, The original Gospels and Epistles were most likely written in Aramaic and Greek.
    I know this surprised people but its actually NOT some 'Mystical Science' to translate Greek into English.
    People follow rules and simply translate.

They DO NOT TRANSLATE 'OVER HUNDREDS OF YEARS' (whatever you think that is supposed to mean?)

Suppose you want to make an English Translation tomorrow.
    You can take Greek Copies (circa 300 AD) and simply begin translating them.

Why is this 'Sad'?

Latin is no longer an official language.
    This DOES NOT mean we 'dont know what it means anymore'.
    Scholars take Jeromes Latin Vulgate and simply translate it into English.

Nothing 'Sad' about it.

I dont see it being a 'very risky action' if you are willing to carefully examine and test the Sciptures with a well intentioned heart.

In any case, thanks for not having a problem with it. (although it seems you DO have a problem with it?)

NO!
    For the 43000th Time in these forums - NO.
    The world was NOT CONSIDERED FLAT.

THis is a myth.

Romans (for ONE example) were entirely aware the Earth was flat.

Arabs (Muslims in Muhummeds Day) were entirely aware the Earth was Round.

In fact, I do not know of ANY ancient culture who believed the earth was flat.

A better example would be .... i.e. For over 100 years people were told and taught that Humans morphed into existance from soup that was hit by lightning.
    This was taught as a 'Fact'.

in any case, .. Please get off this 'Flat Earth' myth.

;)

20. cabdirazzaq

cabdirazzaq Member

Isn't that quite daring to say...