Is the occult harmless fun?

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by inthelibrary, Jan 28, 2019.

1. inthelibrary

inthelibrary Members

witchcraft, spirit mediums, inquiring of the dead. These things are strongly condemned in this scripture. Thoughts?

“There should not be found in you . . . anyone who employs divination, anyone practicing magic, anyone who looks for omens, a sorcerer, anyone binding others with a spell, anyone who consults a spirit medium or a fortune-teller, or anyone who inquires of the dead. For whoever does these things is detestable to God—Deu 18:12

2. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

I don't believe in any of those thing, and those who do are fair game to be parted from their money by charlatans. Other than that, I have no problem with them.

tumbling.dice likes this.
  3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

What makes you think there's any monetary value to it?

4. storch

storch banned

Does the scriptures tell us what ought to be done with such ones?

5. inthelibrary

inthelibrary Members

I am not sure, but I would imagine, because they have free will they can do what they want. I have no say in that. But according to this those practices will not gain you a relationship with God

6. fem_fatale

fem_fatale Members

Yes. Loved and accepted like everyone else.

Meliai and StellarCoon like this.
  7. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

Here in the states, people often charge money for "consulting" ...and that would include a reading, anyone that would contact the dead (a necromancer) or whatever. If you are in the right place, and have some wealthy clients that have more money than sense and want to talk to their husband, wife, child (or whatever) or a client that was forever wanting "just another reading"... the medium, witch, or whatever they would call themselves could be in a lucrative position.

edit: even though some people "don't believe in them"...many MANY do. In the bible, it doesn't say there are NOT people with this ability...it says to leave the dead alone. I think that is somewhat interesting. That it (contacting the dead) CAN be done isn't disputed. When the witch of Endor contacted Samuel...he asked he why was she worrying him. lol He did go on to give her some info, but also told her to leave him be. :)

mysticblu21, Eric! and Irminsul like this.
  8. storch

storch banned

If there arise among you a prophet, or a dreamer of dreams, and giveth thee a sign or a wonder, 2And the sign or the wonder come to pass, whereof he spake unto thee, saying, Let us go after other gods, which thou hast not known, and let us serve them; 3Thou shalt not hearken unto the words of that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams: for the LORD your God proveth you, to know whether ye love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul. 4Ye shall walk after the LORD your God, and fear him, and keep his commandments, and obey his voice, and ye shall serve him, and cleave unto him. 5And that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams, shall be put to death.

Doesn't sound like free will.

GreatestIam likes this.
  9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Lol. Sometimes I don't understand why shamans and such, and these mediums that are written about in the good books, like 2000 years ago or whatever this was a legit and it's written about that God visited people and certain special people could recieve messages from God and spirits and angels, but now in 2019 the common belief is well we can't do that anymore, nobody speaks to God and God doesn't speak to anyone.

What actually changed there? It's like people believe that all this stuff was valid 2000 years ago and then at some point there's a cut off deadline where it's not probable anymore. Loonies they call them.

10. inthelibrary

inthelibrary Members

What scripture?

11. inthelibrary

inthelibrary Members

Jesus fulfilled the law

12. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

There are few things that are both fun and harmless.

Eric! and neonspectraltoast like this.
  13. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

there's monetary value to everything, if you're clever enough about it.

Okiefreak and Lynnbrown like this.
  14. I tend to agree with the Bible on this. All of these things seek, in vain, a means of controlling one's life. And these means of control eventually do backfire and control the one who employs them instead. They are harmful to the spirit, in my honest opinion. It isn't just fun, and everybody knows it. There's a sick desperation and sickness in it, and these things are never enough. Like an addict, the person involved is always left craving more power and control.

I have my doubts as to whether or not that is the reason the Bible professes against it, however. Ancient man would have had less personal reasons. Like, they would have made the connection between witchcraft and murder or something. Which is just the shit that happens when you try to exercise too much control over your small, feeble existence.

Still, I kind of like the idea of becoming a sorceror. I mean, I don't think wizards are bad. So I'm not sure about that part.

inthelibrary likes this.
  15. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

16. inthelibrary

inthelibrary Members

1st century Christians burned all of their magic books worth a lot of money in the public square

17. storch

storch banned

You don't recognize what I've posted?

18. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I agree with you, but at the same time that's just greed and taking advantage of people. I would be less enclined to believe what a paid psychic told me over a natural one that wanted to do it to try and help me.

19. inthelibrary

inthelibrary Members

I don’t know the scripture. Never read it

20. storch

storch banned

Deuteronomy 13:1