Is Teaching Religion To Children A Form Of Child Abuse?

Discussion in 'Agnosticism and Atheism' started by Okiefreak, Mar 20, 2017.

1. themnax

themnax Senior Member

teaching them to trust anything that wishes to be feared is setting them up for abuse for the rest of their lives.

2. heeh2

heeh2 Senior Member

I can trust that predators are out to get me themnax. And my predators actions and Hope's are an expression for something that is not easily acquired.....A wish towards my life.

On any day I believe being trusted is better than writing 5 paragraphs of introspection convincing someone of anything.

For the same reason, I think we have phrases like confirmation-bias....or "talk is cheap".

I think our language is cancerous. I trust a predatory political system like I trust my primary mode of communication, it's all I've ever had. But it takes a medical doctor to determine whether my concerns are warrented in the aspects of my life we call "physical".

If you're seeking to be in competition, that's where you will be. But if you want to learn or communicate for the sake understanding, you were born too late or too early. Because now, we all have cancer. I'm not satisfied with being the middle child of coherent inquiry. I think it may just be the capitalism.

3. themnax

themnax Senior Member

what if i'm not seeking to be in compitition? what if i have no use in hell for advisarial culture?
    sure i may have to live in poverty to avoid it, but there's still the infinite rest of the universe, and humans, for all their collective ego, are still only one tiny part of it after all.

4. heeh2

heeh2 Senior Member

Most phrases and points of speculation are ambiguous because between two individual perspectives exists ambiguity. It doesnt really seem to be a big point of interest how inexact our orifices and gestures are even while trying to transmit true perception of nature. I think that's where morality comes from and why some say morality is subjective, because it is ambiguous like everything is in nature. Even in practical applications, poetry paints a brighter picture than math in some aspects. If I choose to expound on exactly where ambiguity exists, or why my statements are coherent at all.....Well, Heisenbergs uncertainty, or the growth of another cancerous tumor we think is communication. Noone knows where the electrons are, the quarks or the boson. But we can find starbucks just fine somewhere out in the ether. Most curriculum is centered around competing in a workforce or making a name in a technical field but just with those two things there are too many incorrect transmissions to actually get us through our current form of communication. Our language is not designed for understanding or consistency. It's meant to catch a fish or buy a hamburger. Give a hamburger, and consider the context and you've got another paragraph that I'm not going to write.

Talk really is cheap. I can just open my mouth and say anything. Not counting my ancestors struggle to put me here to open my mouth in the first place which leads us back to how ambiguous my statement is.

I think scholars have done a piss poor job explaining the poetry of original sin in exchange for an objective interpretation. What resonates more with people than lineage or continuation of time, something which must happen?

I'm not trying to demonize humanity or any species failing to propagate. I just think someone long ago understood that we cannot escape what is inside of us. Because to make a statement like this is misleading. Because to speak of truth is to also speak of lies. To say where something is also holds where it is not.

We cannot escape how the devil deceives us. And he is alive....I can feel him breathing.

5. Jessica Allen

Jessica Allen Newbie

Yes, it is. Atleast i consider it child abuse. You should allow your kids to be atleast 18 years before participating out of free will in any religious activities atall

6. themnax

themnax Senior Member

people who tell others what to pretend, even if its parents to their own children, aren't making anyone's life easier or better. they're just obstructing the scenery.
    there are of course things we all need to know that we aren't born knowing. mostly how to avoid screwing everything up for ourselves by screwing everything up for each other.
    but what to pretend about what is not known, has nothing to do with any of this.

7. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

I consider teaching about religion is not to be child abuse, but religious indoctrination is. At high school they wanted to teach us about every religion under the sun except Judaism-Christianity. It seemed to be politically incorrect to do otherwise.
    I would have greatly appreciated being introduced to the King James Bible. There is a widely held belief among writers that reading the King James Bible greatly improves your style of writing. This was something that I could have done with at the time.
    I have seen many adults make a mess of their lives by having no moral compass. A religion can provide a template of a moral compass that can have adjustments made to it.

8. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

I think the King James Bilble might have made your writing style a bit archaic, but I agree about the moral compass.
    QUOTE="Jessica Allen, post: 8870425, member: 317168"]Yes, it is. Atleast i consider it child abuse. You should allow your kids to be atleast 18 years before participating out of free will in any religious activities atall[/QUOTE] By that time, the kid may be on crack and it'll be a lost cause.

9. Bilby

OK give me an example.

10. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

The thing with the Thees and Thous, for example, and believeth, standeth, speaketh, striketh, killeth, stinketh, etc.. The King James Version is four centuries old, and by the King's directive a lot of it is carried over from previous translations that go back another century. So even in its own time some of its language was considered a tad old fashioned:
    "Forasmuch as there is none like unto thee, O Lord; thou art great, and thy name is great in might. Who would not fear thee, O King of nations? for to thee doth it appertain: forasmuch as among all the wise men of the nations, and in all their kingdoms, there is none like unto thee." Jeremiah 10 6-7. If you go around talking like that, people will give you funny looks!

11. If it's a form of child abuse, boy was I abused and millions of other babies/children...

phil1965 likes this.
  12. Bilby

I meant give me an example of my writing being arcaoc.

13. phil1965

phil1965 Senior Member

What I object to most strongly is when religion gets mixed in with politics, A friend of mine had a child in school aged about 7 or 8 years old, it was coming up to Easter and the child had not mentioned anything about it to his parents, they thought it odd as being a Christian country (UK) it has always been taught as far as they could remember so the asked the teacher. They were informed that as the school was 'multicultural' they were not doing anything about Easter so as not to cause offence to families of non-christian children, ok a bit annoying but fair enough they thought. They were less than happy therefore when a few months later the child came home to inform them that they'd been learning about the Festival of Eid, a Muslim event, at school. Clearly this was wrong and no doubt motivated in some way by political correctness, my mate was so outraged that he instructed them to remove his child from any lessons where religion other than the Christian faith was being discussed, as he said, by all means teach about other faiths, but you cannot, in a Christian country ignore Christianity in case it offends non-Christians.

Tishomingo and Bilby like this.
  14. rasta g child

rasta g child flower power

its all about GOOD vs EViL

15. rasta g child

rasta g child flower power

kids = cool