Is Syria the New Iraq?

Discussion in 'America Attacks!' started by Chodpa, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Shale

Shale ~

Things are looking up for a way to crawfish outta this mess. With the Russians offering to take the WMD's away from their ally Asshole. Also, democracy might just catch on in the U.S. where it has been absent for a while. (I just realized that angry villagers with torches and pitchforks storming the castle is a form of 'democracy')

Seems I was not alone in voicing my opposition to this wannabe war. And to the original question "Is Syria the New Iraq?" it ain't over yet, but it does look like Obama is paying attention to the polls and public outcry against it and I suspect he is wishing he never opened this can of worms. Unlike Duh'bya, who in the face of demonstrations against invading Iraq and with Saddam Hussein starting to acquiesce to UN dictates, still jumped into an unnecessary war.

So, just hope at the moment:

Poll: Voters question U.S. leadership

A majority of Americans opposes airstrikes in Syria and wants Congress to reject the president’s request for approval

BY DAVID LIGHTMAN
    MCCLATCHY WASHINGTON BUREAU
    Posted on Tuesday, 09.10.13

WASHINGTON -- When President Barack Obama addresses the nation Tuesday in his bid for airstrikes against Syria, he will confront the most unfriendly political landscape of his presidency, one where opposition knows no boundaries and Democrats, Republicans, whites, blacks, Hispanics, old, young, men and women all are deeply skeptical of the mission.

A solid majority of voters opposes airstrikes and wants Congress to reject Obama’s request for approval, according to a new McClatchy-Marist poll. A majority thinks he does not have a clear idea of what he’s doing with Syria. The ranks of Americans who approve of the way he’s handling foreign policy has dropped to the lowest level since he assumed office. And an overwhelming majority insists he stand down should Congress vote no.

“Clearly this president needs to be very persuasive Tuesday,” said Lee Miringoff, director of the Marist Institute for Public Opinion in New York, which conducted the poll. The survey of 963 adults, which included 856 registered voters, was conducted Sept. 7-8. Adults 18 and older residing in the continental United States were interviewed by telephone.

Regardless of how pollsters asked the question, the same doubts surfaced. “The public worries we won’t accomplish our goals and a strike will have long-term consequences,” Miringoff said.

Voters by 58 percent to 31 percent oppose airstrikes. They also think members of Congress should not authorize an attack, by 54 percent to 38 percent.

If Obama should go ahead with his Syria plan after a no vote in Congress, as the administration has suggested it could, the public outcry could be thunderous. Voters by 74 percent to 20 percent said he should not launch an airstrike without congressional approval.

Americans also want help from other nations. By 77 percent to 21 percent, respondents wanted the U.S. to have support from other countries.

2. MonkWizard

MonkWizard Guest

I'll be holding a sign and writing letters.

3. *Yogi*

*Yogi* Resident Racist

Those 'million' innocent Iraq people you speak of, Were also the large chunk who sat on top of buildings and threw potatoes over the side, Which in a combat situation, When a grenade is thrown, You react quickly. They thought it was 'funny' to throw potatoes at Humvees and troops, Who got the 'last laugh'?

They also hid their cache of weapons inside schools, Churches, Any place we couldn't or had to have good info to act of. IED's, Constant fire in 360 degrees around you, Who exactly do you trust?

But you never herd of them 'baiting' the US soldiers on TV, The only show what they want you to see. That started after Vietnam, From all the butt hurt hippies, And the media back them rolling footage 100% of the time. Just like in Iraq, When you left the village, They were Vietcong soldiers again and not 'farmers'.

To each their own, But there is a lot left out from the 'media' side and when you do find what you are looking for, Civilians are the ones protecting said caches and if they don't move, Our troops will move them and be on their way.

4. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

How do you know this?

LISTENING/WATCHING/BLINDLY BELIEVING MAINSTREAM MEDIA??

5. MonkWizard

MonkWizard Guest

Don't you already know the answer to that? :afro:

6. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

Is that you riptide? I thought they banned your moron ass.

7. StpLSD25

StpLSD25 Senior Member

Rj, I found the perfect video for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-sdO6pwVHQ&feature=player_embedded"]Help Kickstart World War III! - YouTube

8. StpLSD25

StpLSD25 Senior Member

I meant to dislike this post! How dare those civilians be in a Land America chooses to occupy, huh? It is this American Exceptionalism that is destroying the country and the world. It's okay for Obama to kill citizens, it's okay for government to be immoral, but regular citizens killing someone is abhorrent, even if it's for a truly noble cause. (Like defending your own country)

Like the Nazis we've come to believe everything America does is inherently Right, and government is more moral than citizens; Both are huge logical fallacies.

9. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

I do i just wanted to see if they would be honest in thier reply!

10. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

I am not sure myself about Syria.

The government - any government for that matter is usually the very last person to know or do anything about anything.

So how did they get all these videos in such a timely manner?

11. StpLSD25

StpLSD25 Senior Member

More proof of government misleading us, "no boots on the ground" by Judge Napalitano.

12. intorg

intorg Guest

The ongoing civil war in Syria which was started on March,2011 can be candidate for one of the most brutal wars in world history. Started as peaceful demonstrations but in following days became a horrible war between Syrian Army and the uprising groups. The opposition was composed of civilians and also escaped officers from the army who did not want to involce in these violence against civilians.

Additionally, Hezbollah also sent troops to fight together with Syrian Army against oppositon. Apart from the Hezbollah, Syrian Ba'ath Government and Army also got support from Iran, Russia and China. As known the last two are the members of the UN security council and have vote to effect the decisions. On the other hand, the opposition is supported by Qatar, Saudi Arabia and Turkey.

The picture in Syria now seems like a rivalry between Alawite Shabia militias, Syrian Army and Sunni opposition groups.

As a result of this rivalry unfortunately many innocent people lose their lives and it seems if UN or NATO does not intervene many more will die until the end of this war. Russia and China continue to prevent an international intervention whereas Turkey aims to stop this civil war immediately with an international force.