Is Soy actually healthy?

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Avocado Noni, May 7, 2007.

1. PLURx3

PLURx3 Member

I quote everyone on this. As long as you take things in moderation, everything should and will most likely run smoothly. :)

2. Gattaca

Gattaca Banned

Soy pussifies men.

No soy for me thank you.

3. Bumble

Bumble Senior Member

How so?

4. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

total bs, which must be why the insulting jerk is on his way elsewhere.

(and it weren't me, jack)

5. gaiabee

gaiabee Member

I think our society consumes way too much processed foods made from soy (fast food hamburgers have large amounts of soy since it's cheap), and many vegetarians and vegans rely on fake soy meat/dairy as their main source of protein (I admit that I used to), which results in consuming way too much of good thing. Many use the argument that other cultures (e.g. Chinese) consume large amounts of soy and have lower incidences of breast cancer... but the soy they are consuming is very different from the processed, fake meat variety.

As someone above mentioned, it's best to stick with natural and organic whole foods. Soy "meat" is great once in while (it tastes so damn good) but definitely in moderation.

6. BibleThumperMan

BibleThumperMan Banned

Boys raised on soy formula grow up and eventually don't "develop".

7. wanderin_blues

wanderin_blues Banned

i try to not eat too much soy. its so processed, very often GMO, and not always ethical. i drink the occaisional soy milk cause its just so yummy but i do my best to eat local and with minimal processing and packaging.
    that said, there are worse things.

8. Amedeo

Amedeo Member

Soy does too many bad things to you if you're a bloke - all that Phytoestrogen makes your hormones go wonky. I steer clear of it. That and the fact so much rainforest has been cleared just to grow it, it makes soy evil in my opinion

9. mrsshf

mrsshf Member

The soy grown in the rain forest is almost exclusively used to feed cattle and other animals being raised for meat. If people didn't eat factory farmed animals, no one would be clearing the rain forest to produce soy.

Plus, there is absolutely no proof that soy makes your hormones go "wonky" if you are a man. My husband eats a lot of soy, and he is neither growing breasts nor having issues in the "performance" department, if you know what I mean.

10. gaiabee

gaiabee Member

Soy isn't the only plant with phytoestrogens... for example, broccoli has comparable amounts. People are just freaked out about soy because many consume large amounts of it. Eating soy here and there is not going to affect a guy's hormones just like eating broccoli won't either.

I think over-consumtion of soy is more of a concern for women as researchers are now wondering if it could be linked with breast cancer. There's no consensus on the matter however. Personally, I think it'd be unwise to consume as much soy as I used to. I now will eat it no more than twice in one week.

11. Avocado Noni

Avocado Noni Member

Yeah that is true about broccoli, but Broccoli is like a mild thyroid irritant compared to something like soy oil which almost suppresses total thyroid function. Cruciferous Brassica family(broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, etc..) vegetables are generally a lot more healthy than the majority of soy products on the market today in my opinion...cuz their never processed and they contain a lot more antioxidants and cancer preventative compounds.

Really when I think you get to the core of nutrition, it's all about hormonal nutrition, and nourishing the endocrine and nervous system to create healthy endorphins, the right neurotransmitters, and all the other feel good chemicals that keep people energetic, happy and rejuvenated...and I don't think soy fits into that type of picture if that's your goal for your health.

I've come to the conclusion that soy milk is almost like glue in the body and it's laced with way too much sugar(and bad sugar at that, cane juice) for it to be considered any kind of reasonable health food. It just doesn't digest right and it doesn't seem to promote really excellent digestion..

I imagine there are many healthier alternatives like hemp milk or hemp seeds which are never genetically modified and the protein is more assimilable, since it contains edestin. I bet most nuts or seeds would be superior to soy as diet staples, and maybe even gluten free grains like quinoa or amaranth.

Soy also contains tryspin which is an enzyme that actually suppresses protein metabolism, I think if you do a little reading and start to try to vibe it out and maybe do some muscle testing as to how healthy soy actually is, you'll find that there's a lot of better alternatives out there.

12. gaiabee

gaiabee Member

I noticed your other posts on hemp milk... I have yet to see it anywhere but I'm dying to try it.

13. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

This would explain the one billion people in China.

A vegan family from my church eats soy in abundance and they have 9 kids ranging in age from infant to 23 y/o.

14. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

That would explain why my brother is 6' 2 240 lbs and has three kids.

15. Jesus Saves

Jesus Saves Junior Member

It was created by the devil thousands of years ago. If you eat it, then you will die.

16. verseau_miracle

verseau_miracle Banned

I think ive only just made a connection (DUH!)...it was around the time we started consuming "fake meat" type foods in larger quantities that i started to get bloated...my periods became a nightmare...and i got PMS for the first time ever in my life...i think it may be the soy. Oh my, im worried what it may have done to my boyfriend...reassurance anyone?

17. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

one billion Chinese people can't be wrong. I've know plenty of folks that eat lots of soy and have NEVER had any sort of health problems.

Last summer my best friend CJ went from a meat n taters diet to a veggie diet with lotsa soy. Result? He went from 325 lbs to 280 lbs. His gallbladder problems and gout have gone away and he chases tail like a priapic teenager.

Don't worry about what soy has done to your boyfriend if anything its probably made him healthier.

I was raised on a veggie diet that included lotsa soy and I'm quite healthy( in all ways if ya get my meaning) My g/f will attest to the fact that I have a very healthy libido and and certalinly have no "performance" problems.

Eat soy to your hearts content. Pholks in Asia have been eating soy for hundreds if not thousands of years with no health problems at all.

18. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

Exactly

According to Vesanto Melina M.S., R.D., co-author of Becoming Vegan ..
    Soy is generally harmless, and should only be avoided if you have allergies to it or a thyroid condition. Most of the studies into the dangers of soy are highly inaccurate* and/or sponsered by meat/dairy companies.

For more information read 'becoming vegan', or listen to her interview with Bob & Jenna Torres (podcast 66 - http://veganfreakradio.com/index.php?page=2)

*e.g feeding large amounts of raw soy to rodents ... not exactly comparable to humans eating relativly smaller amounts of processed (fermented/cooked/whatever) soya products.

19. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

Its good to see that there are some well informed pholks on here. SOY ROCKS!!!!!

20. eydis

eydis Member

i dont like the food industry. and soy, is definitely a cash crop.... i cant help but feeling that someone is controling my life when i see all these soy stuff in the shops: CANT YOU SEE!? it is all about money. the industry realized that there are many vegetarians out there, and some vegans, more and more.... HOW to control them, how to make money out of them? SOY. in the end, the meat, milk and soy industry are connected (just look at what they feed cattle: soy-they are just LAUGHING behind our back: "haha, we can make them buy and eat cattle food, and we get rich from it"..... in the end we are like the "cattle" of the system: working hard to feed our selves so they can get rich from us.)
    brake out from the system.
    have you heard of MOSANTO?? a SOY GMO giant making billions and billions. it is totally connected with the meat industry.
    I know this sound stupid, but i need to tell you> the system/corporations want us to have bad health.... WHY? because, they need our insecurities/heath weaknesses so they can sell another "health miracle" (maybe the next one is HEMP, what do I know)
    THere are no shortcuts to TRUE HEALTH, no miracles.
    -Natural food and natural living is the best. processed food is not good in general. meat and milk are not good for todays people (in the stone age meat was good for us because it was natural and people burned so much more energy and they didnt combine meat with sugar, bread or other unheathy stuff, and they mostly ate raw
    veg/fruit)
    -eat less. we eat TOO much in general
    For me what I eat is not just a matter of different taste:( "oh, you like veggies and i like meat". its bullshit. in a way i still like meat, but i have made a choice not to eat it).
    what i eat is about true health and well being, its a way to fight greed: the greed of the corporations making so much money form us, but also finghting our own greed, thinking "that we deserve to eat meat/milk/cheese" because we just "deserve it".... NO, you dont deserve it.... because it makes animals live in horribles conditions, like in in a concentration camp, we are like the nazis of the cattle world....
    stop being greedy, there are better ways