Is Snowden a national hero? Traitor? None of the above?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Carlfloydfan, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Carlfloydfan

Carlfloydfan Travel lover

What are your opinions and analysis on the continued Snowden saga?

Is this man a hero?
    Traitor?
    Some kind of (unknowing) tool of the .. <insert blank>?
    none of the above/something totally different?

What do you make of this entire situation?

I think he is brave, at the least. But not sure it will wake up as many people as he would have liked. I think it perfectly shows the hypocrisy of the American govt (or any government for that matter), as well, however

2. AquaLight

AquaLight Senior Member

A naive hero.

3. Carlfloydfan

Carlfloydfan Travel lover

Could be a very good way to put it. A naive, (well intentioned, well meaning) "hero" - or if no one remember this in half a year due to the iphone 509348, failed hero..who knows. Just speculation..

4. roamy

roamy Senior Member

he's a hero.

5. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

He is a hero, just as Bradley Manning is.

6. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

He's definitely a tool of some psychological operation that's being used to push some sort of agenda on the public mind. I mean, nothing the guy said is anything many of us already didn't know. Of course the NSA is spying on us all. The media, which is controlled, would never have allowed this guy's story to come forward unless it was deliberately intended to be put out there. I am not buying it. I don't doubt this guy is genuine in his intent to do what's right, but I think he's likely being used by someone without his knowledge. He was allowed to come forward, and it partly has to do with making an example out of him, and it allows the system to come out and basically tell us that America is no longer a free country. They want us to know the NSA is spying on us, and why would they care, because most people could not give a shit less as long as they are able to keep buying their cheap Chinese trinkets, eating McDonalds, and watching the boob tube.

7. roamy

roamy Senior Member

ya bradley manning is a hero to.

8. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

i think that what bradley manning did was a lot more heroic than what snowden did.

rat - don't you think the word 'definitely' is a bit strong, considering you have absolutely no evidence to back up your theory?

9. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

I am not sure what I really think of the situation or of him.

I do feel that the privacy is an issue and that I can support him exposing, I would not think highly of anyone using that information for personal gain.

I am not sure he has or is not doing so.

10. odonII

odonII O

When I figure out what he actually released I'll let you know.

I do feel as if greater leaks have occurred.

He has a really irritating voice...

11. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

None of us are qualified to form a definitive opinion on this incident.....in my opinion!

Which one of you guys or gals really know what the government is up to, what enemies it is fighting, what they have prevented from happening, what actions they believe are possible to be taken against it's citizens, what information Snowden really has, how accurate that information is, etc, and so on.

So far he hasn't released anything that wasn't already known by Congress, to my knowledge.
    He leaked classified documents about legal activities of the government, approved by Congress. He tells us the activities didn't meet his standards. Does this mean that anyone who works for the government can leak any classified document they don't like?
    Sort of eliminates the role of classified documents, doesn't it? Are we to assume that the government shouldn't have any classified documents, by his reasoning?

And then he fled to China! A country not known for personal freedom, or openness of government. Do you think they might be interested in what he knows? You think they'll use that knowledge to advance your personal freedom?

He is incredibly naive. Well wishing maybe, but not real bright.

12. skitzo child

skitzo child PEACEFUL LIBRA

13. themnax

themnax Senior Member

he did the right thing, knowing he'll probably get killed for doing so. i hope he doesn't.

any nation or person who would brand anyone a trator should be ashamed of themselves.

people do not exist to serve nations, nations are only excused in existing by serving people.

any nation that puts its security as a nation, ahead of the security of its citizens, should be ashamed of itself. whether that nation is syria, afghanistan, or the u.s. of america.

14. lode

lode Banned

Well he is a lying blowhard. I'm pretty certain the NSA doesn't give contractors authority to tap the presidents phone. And he might have been able to get away with it and live a normal life if he didn't want to brag that he was a hero to everybody. But the documents needed to be released and they were.

15. lode

lode Banned

That's nonsense Meagain. First, congress doesn't have authority to pass laws which violate the fourth appendment. It clearly violates the fourth ammendment, because they admited to metadata collection in the document. Metadata collection happens before it can be reviewed by a judge for a warrant. When the government betrays it's citizens trust and activites secret clauses in laws which are unconstitutional by action, than yes, the secret should be made public.

16. ClintonsSon

ClintonsSon Yeah......it's Me!!

He's a dumbass. Gonna be a dead dumbass if they ever catch his dumbass!

17. IamnotaMan

IamnotaMan I am Thor. On sabba-tickle. Still available via us

Nosey spying bastards. Just cough up compensation to the rest of the World, and stop crying about getting caught.

18. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

lode,
    I understand what you are saying, however Congress did approve of PRISM and has been supported by the Executive branch.
    Snowden's reaction to the program was not the correct action.
    The American Civil Liberties Union has filed a law suit:
    And Freedom Watch also has filed a class action suit,
    Now the Supreme Court will rule and we'll see if it is Constitutional or not. That is the correct action if pressure on Congress and the President fails.

19. lode

lode Banned

I think specifically, congress aproved of prism directly (I don't think it's an acronym) which is collecting data specifically from tech firms, in which they will have a warrant issued by a judge in the case of an American citizen. What they did not nessecarily approve of is blanket fiber optic metadata collection and deep packet inspection. And that part is unconstitutional. Even if every lawyer says otherwise because it's a new technology and the supreme court rules it doesn't apply to unreasonable search and seisure. They are wrong. Remember Plessy V Ferguson? (I'm not saying you're that old btw. :biggrin:)

20. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

He's a fool, in deep over his head. Playing games that he doesn't fully understand.

He trusts the Russians now? Does he realize they would torture him to death in a New York minute, to get information out of him if they thought it was to their advantage? The Russian government has never even claimed to play "nice".