Is Ocala a child-friendly scene???

Discussion in 'Rainbow Family' started by TerrapinRose, Jan 27, 2005.

1. TerrapinRose

TerrapinRose Member

I have always heard negative stuff about the Ocala gathering from other people in the family. What I hear is there is lots of drinking,and all the crap that comes along with alcohol. I have never gone up there with my kids even though it really isn't that far. (Also we live in Fla and the idea of camping out in 35 degrees makes my kids whiney.) But what is the scene there for kids,does anybody here know? Is there a kids village? Would YOU bring your kids (if you had them?) My kids are 2 and 10.

2. jelloman23

jelloman23 Member

Last year there was a very nice kids village with lots of cool people putting in positive energy. There was drinking going on, more than I have seen at past gatherings, but none around the kids area. I dont think the folks who were involved last year in kids village would have put up with it if there was.

I have kids and I would probably bring them. Most of the drinking I saw was later in the evening and in the lot and i would make sure my kids weren't exposed to that scene.

3. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

My kids were just there and I will be going back with them. True there is alot of drinking but everyone seems to realize where it is welcome or not. There are actually a number of kids down there already. Smaller ones, 1-5 age range. I'd say about 6 maybe that I can think of. Its fine. Maybe I'll see ya terrapin :)

4. Barry208

Barry208 Member

IMHO, at Ocala, Inside the Main Gate is a child friendlier scene then in Bus Village or other camps in or near the parking lot(s).

Last year Katuha Kitchen asked Florida Family where and how they could plug in and were asked to cook for Kiddie Village, since Filepe is no longer living here in Florida. I Expect the the Kiddie Village Kitchen will be the Katuha Kitchen this year as well.

I have brought my children to gatherings for years and feel it is one of the safest things we do. I do not let them wonder on their own, any more then I would in the city, although with them being 16 & 18, it does get harder to keep them in sight all the time...

One of the things that changed perspectives with the LEO's was how our children are taken care of. Four years ago, also at Shanty Pond, a mother who was arrested, alledged that the son's father was abusing him and at the gathering. The father agreed to meet with the LEO, Paul, who is the senior FS LEO for Florida, to disprove these allegations. Not only has all gone well, but the LEO's always brings gifts when they come inside for the children and understand more about us over this false allegation. They also understand that the children fear them more then other pholks and seem to be gentler when dealing with them.

Watching our children play and grow up together is one of the best reasons to come to gatherings... and most important.

With Love,

Barry

5. Barry208

Barry208 Member

I beleive that is wander not wonder!!!!

Sorry

Barry

6. too_informed

too_informed Member

Sure would. BusMama is on TOP of the scene by scouting so it should be a FANTASTIC Kiddie Village once built. AMBER Alert is over, Rumors arent 1/2 of what they're coming out to be. Truly rainbow this year, All working for Peace & Joy no matter what they hear or believe in.

too_informed

7. busmama

busmama go away

Yes!!!!! We have a wonderful kid village site scouted, FAR away from all the agro action!! We need wonderful loving family like you to come help us complete the circle. We have a vision for a village that you can feel safe bringing your family too, with playgrounds, shower facilities, and spce for the big kids too!!!

LOVE and LIGHT,
    busmama

8. chime

chime Member

"it takes a village to raise a child". rainbow children (as are all children) are each one of our responsiblity and should be our first responsibility. bus mama (lovin' you sista!) has a great site scouted and plans are well on the way to a truly awesome gathering. ocala 2005 is going to be a powerful experience. i pledge myself and my crew to making sure that our number one priority is for the children get a positive, safe and enlightening experience. anyone else want to pledge?

9. SpliffVortex

SpliffVortex Senior Member

WHAT do you expect do you know how boring is to live in Ocala florida no wonder they get drunk wasted. central florida in general is very boring only daytona to the north during spring break or bike week is fun or south in miami or key west.

10. SpliffVortex

SpliffVortex Senior Member

ok the original question was for kid related safety as boring as ocala is it should fine for young kids just be carefull with the drunk drivers as you leave or enter.

11. TerrapinRose

TerrapinRose Member

OK,now for question number 2:anybody got room to take me and 2 kids up there from Orlando??I am a nondriver and Feb is my husband's busy season at work (termite guy). PM me if you wanna give us a lift!