Is MJ really more potent today than it was back then?

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by 6-eyed shaman, Aug 24, 2018.

1. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

When I first got involved in stoner culture back in high school during my teens at the turn of the millennium, there was still a lot of the anti-marijuana propaganda still going around.

At that time, there was a lot of anti-marijuana propaganda saying that weed is now more potent and dangerous than it was in the 60s and before then. The pro-marijuana side said that was all bullshit, and even went as far as saying that the potency of weed never changed with breeding.

Now, looking at this more critically, I think the pro-marijuana side was trying to say that the "more dangerous" argument was all bullshit. And may've gone a little too far in saying that the increased potency was a lie as well.

It sounds perfectly logical that breeders would do what they could to try and strengthen the potency of marijuana, so they could sell a better product. But is this the truth?

2. I don't know.

3. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I'm sure the increased potency is true.

GeorgeJetStoned and McFuddy like this.
  4. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Is marijuana really stronger than it used to be? It's complicated — but here's what the science says

storch and 6-eyed shaman like this.
  5. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Here most of the pro marihuana side always acknowledged/agreed that on average pot has become a lot stronger. Seems little doubt about it.

6. deleted

deleted Visitor

Aging cannabis is a lost art form.

7. Woodiecooke

Woodiecooke Members

I am sure it is much more potent. I have been smoking since the late 60's and usually the best around and based on experience from samples from Texas, Calif.,WVand places in between it's certainly stronger.

8. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

Should be embraced as a harm reduction tool. If the weed is twice as strong, that means you only need half the amount of smoke to get the same high.

6-eyed shaman likes this.
  9. deepwoods

deepwoods Members

I would rather smoke the same amount and get twice as high, does it work like that? It's not like you're gona o.d.

10. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

I've been smoking it since a quarter ounce cost me 5 bucks (minimum wage was $1.45/hr). And YES, it's not only stronger today, but it's MUCH stronger. I can't even get cheap regs anymore, nobody sells anything but high dollar sticky buds. I haven't smoked a joint in years, it's impossible to roll this stuff. And a whole joint would just about put you in a trance.

It reminds me of Hawaiian pot back in the early 80s. You could roll a ball of it the size of an English Pea and get 4 sailors fully toasted. We used to make a pipe out of a Skilcraft-US Government ballpoint pen, a nickel and some masking tape. Then toss the whole thing overboard when we were through.

The way I like to smoke, I wish I could buy a big sack of dried leaves to smoke. People look at me like I'm from Mars when I make this suggestion. When I lived in Florida we used to go to Epcot and "Toke Around The World" at all the world showcase pavilions while we were "Drinking Around the World". These days my weed doesn't leave my house. And I rarely leave the house after smoking it. The oinkers are still on a witch hunt for tokers in this part of the country.

11. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

I beg to differ.....the honey oil I had I the late seventies and early eighties was way better than any honey I have seen this decade....the weed back then was way harder to get and the commercial Mexican was everywhere but I remember Maui wowee and Columbian redbud among others that was easily comparable to what is around today

the difference is now we have 50 zillion growers and sellers and weed is virtually everywhere for us lucky some so just seems like it is stronger today

I also get that they are growing the 33 percent now but that shit wont appear on any street corners

my opinion on dope in the Toronto area

Running Horse and Orison like this.
  12. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Would you expand on that for me, please?

13. deleted

deleted Visitor

14. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

It's worse from what I've experienced.
    Makes your heart beat too fast and gives you too much paranoia.

In the late sixties I smoked very potent stuff, but you would just pass out in a very mellow state. Very trippy.
    Last stuff I smoked a few years ago was disturbing. I threw it away and haven't smoked any since.

15. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i don't think you can really judge all current weed based on one experience. i think it depends a lot on the strain, along with your mental state at the moment of smoking.

16. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Dammit...

Running Horse, Meliai and Asmodean like this.
  17. MeAgain

Not just one experience, but true.
    I'm also getting older.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  18. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

@MeAgain it sounds like you had a run in with one of those high anxiety sativa strains. I know what strains like that can do to someone who's returning from a long-time bud hiatus. Perhaps a more mellow strain like Rude Boi might be for you. Once you're ready to try it again.

Irminsul likes this.
  19. MeAgain

Not legal in my state.
    I used to know a grower but I'm outta the loop now.

No big deal, I had my fling for years and years.

20. deleted

deleted Visitor

Medical is legal in Pa..