Is Marriage Just Crap ?

Discussion in 'True Love' started by undefeated, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Yeah that's the best moments of philosophy I find too. When I read something and it agrees with me : ) further supporting my belief that I didn't need to read philosophy in the first place

2. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Philosophers often refute other philosopher's arguments so your assumption is inherently incorrect.

If you consider utilizing logic and reason as "limiting one's thoughts" then I would agree with you, but I would contend it's been the best cognitive approach humans ever developed.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  3. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

You slightly misunderstand me on both these quotes.
    The first one, I KNOW philosophers refute other philosophers. I mean, "normal" people assume they cannot BE a philosopher and refute something.

The second one, my point is people DON'T utilize their own logic and reason because they believe a famous dead guy is irrefutable.

4. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Well I meant more that Nietzsche doesnt agree with me.
    But he challenges me to think outside my own box and hold two opposing views in one hand (mine and his) and make sense of them both. I appreciate him for that.

But with most other philosophers and philosophy in general I'm just like, why am I supposed to even care about any of this. I just cant get into it

5. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Aaahh yes. Didn't read your post very closely.

6. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I feel I'm going to further misunderstand you on the first part, so I'll skip that.

The second one, logic has a specific meaning and context in philosophy, which has been developed over many centuries by the dead guys. So whether you're aware of it or not, you're utilizing these ideas. The term "logic" has become more generalized but that seems to be a symptom of our culture, kind of similar to how people generalize the term "theory" when discussing science.

CloudyMushroom likes this.
  7. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

That's my point. I can utilize it without reading about it. I'm not saying what they said and did wasn't great. I'm just saying I'd rather live in the moment with my own brain and thoughts and ideas than spend too much time studying what other people thought.

CloudyMushroom likes this.
  8. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Well, for starters he lived and died before all the fun stuff in number theory and computer science, so yeah, so meh probably am smarter than him

9. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Fair enough, although I think this type of mentality with some people leads to a slippery slope of twitter mobs and craziness on social media. :tongueout:

10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Philosophy, pfff
    Philosophy is just words.
    Actions speak louder than words.
    Nobody needs a philosopher, they need a do'er.

Barry Thrift likes this.
  11. To do something without thinking about it first is just silly. Just my opinion.

Driftrue likes this.
  12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Nobody said you weren't allowed to think, but talking to my bacon ain't gonna cook my bacon. I can't philosophise about cooking my bacon to cook my bacon, at some point I'm going to have to take action and that's the real difference between a philosopher and a battler.

13. Yeah... That should be self evident...

14. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Powerful Words Irm

15. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Irms Philosophy 101 bro. :p
    I should publish that shit. :D
    Maybe I'll end up as a statue.

guerillabedlam likes this.
  16. It was just a quote that a philosopher said that I just believed to be accurate. If you have a good marriage you'll be happy but if you don't it will make you question everything. It wasn't supposed to be a debate about philosophy. XD

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2020
  17. tenor (24).gif

18. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

19. I have a title for your book, Irminsul. 'Irminsul! Just do shit! Don't think!'

20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I never said anything about thought.

Chapter 1: you look but do not see and you hear but do not listen.

:p