Is Marriage Just Crap ?

Discussion in 'True Love' started by undefeated, Apr 2, 2016.

1. undefeated

undefeated Member

face it most marriages end in divorce.people get married and divorced so many times its like the first marriage doesn't mean anything. get married in 20's divorced in 40's then remarried again and again . i guess people are not marrying their soulmates.

2. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

Thanks for the great info

3. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Short answer: Yes
    Long answer: Hell Yes

Kev627, Tiddy, Jcinalco and 2 others like this.
  4. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

You can't be a spoiled, selfish brat and expect to stay married.

5. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Why So Bitter......???

Cheers Glen.

6. morrow

morrow Visitor

Marriage is a pot, you have to both put into.
    You have to give to that pot, and take, but if you take and take! It becomes empty, and then there is no use for the pot!
    Does that make sense?
    Cos marriage can be bliss :)

7. secret_thinker

secret_thinker Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Agreed, although I don't think you necessarily need to be married, the give and take pot applies to all relationships including friendships and working relationships.

La Ya Ya, Eric!, wilsjane and 2 others like this.
  8. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Wether it is crap or not depends on your personal outlook. If the majority of marriages ends in divorces what does that say about the marriages of those who stay together? Nothing.

2 people like this.
  9. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

Reminded me of a quote from my favourite show, party down. "Forget fireworks you don’t want something that blows all bright then fades. You know what love is? Its a crockpot - not flashy - not exciting - but cooks at a low heat - day in and day out, and won’t fade. I’m guessing your girlfriend has got herself a crockpot."

10. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Married to the same hippie chick for 42 years.

11. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

I've been with Jane, my wife, about 25 years. Marriage works for us because we are both 100% dedicated to the marriage above all else. She and I don't have secret personal agendas and we don't waste time trying to mold the other into our "ideal" mate. Marriage in the US is fragile because it's too easy to get married. Getting a driver's license has more requirements. But I think that's a symptom of marriage being brought into the realm of the government.

They make it easier to get married than any church. Few states even require a blood test anymore. The government cashes in on marriage in various ways. Marriage licenses are sold like candy for the asking. Most expire in 90 days. So it benefits by people forgetting dates, postponing weddings etc. And of course it's a cash cow for the state when people chicken out and don't get married because the license shakes them into reality.

The real money comes from divorce. Not only does the government get a fat slice, so do lawyers, plural. Lawyers are all part of the same club. They know how to push a fighting couple's buttons so that the fight drags on and the fees pile up. The real problem with divorce is that once the declaration is made, we are somehow conditioned to think it has to run its programmed course. Which is a shame since the opposite is true. Naturally I would never suggest staying with an abusive asshole JUST to be able to say your marriage is "successful". It fools nobody.

My take on marriage is that it's an investment that transcends money or property, particularly when children come into being. A good marriage will survive things like infidelity, addiction, insolvency and illness. I've met married couples in homeless shelters, coal mines and lots of bars. I've seen them fight over furniture, childcare, crack and church. I've also seen marriages fail. My first wife became the Home of the 3rd Fleet at Pearl when I was a sailor. We were together nearly 2 years, but once I started going out to sea, she wandered and got popular.

Not only was divorcing her a no-brainer, I was an enlisted dork. I didn't have any money or property. I shipped her back to Napa and enjoyed drawing married pay and living on the ship rent free for 2 more years. I lived like a prince and had all the rental dates and good Hawaiian weed I could stand. But that's another story.

12. Stacey Star

Stacey Star Members

Soul mates aren't always sexual partners or even romantic connections. I think I lost mine (he died of a brain tumor). We were best friends. I loved him too much to let it go further if that makes any sense at all.
    I made that decision long before his diagnosis. Sometimes you love someone too much to take that risk...I'm just glad I knew him and had him in my life. And, I know I'll see him again someday.

13. Bud D

Bud D Member

I am guessing that money and sex are major limiting factors.

14. MeAgain

I didn't realize it was the government's fault.
    If we got rid of the government there would be no more divorces.

15. GeorgeJetStoned

I doubt you'll find anyone who wants to get rid of the government, so good luck with that. Though you are right, if they were gone the only place left to get a divorce would be what? Churches? That's actually kind of funny. Who will officiate divorces after a rebellion, apocalypse or government collapse? "The county burning around you but that's not going to stop you from getting that weight lifted from around your neck, divorce that woman now" They should do a Walking Dead episode like that. Dead Divorce Court!

As for fault, that's always a matter of interpretation. I personally don't think the government should be in the marriage business at all.

16. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Cos marriage makes them all go twitchy and weird in the head

17. MeAgain

I was trying to be facetious.

18. GeorgeJetStoned

I use Regia Juglans for that!

19. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

yeah, i think if both partners smoke pot, it probably helps the marriage because instead of fighting about the little annoying things they each do, they just say "eh, fuck it" instead.

Piobaire and drock69 like this.
  20. morrow

morrow Visitor

Ha! Very true also..probably why I smashed our pot two years ago!
    Some men, and women, are quite happy to grow old, and forget about the pot!
    Now I put into my own! Lol

Barry Thrift likes this.