Is marijuana a 'drug'

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by jimaug87, Apr 24, 2007.

1. jimaug87

jimaug87 Member

I see all these quotes that separate weed from 'drugs'. I say these dont make sense, because it is a drug. Tylenol is a drug. It's something that chemically alters the way you feel.

I understand your trying to say that marijuana should not be put in the same category as coke, heroin, and all that nasty shit. But you guys are passing that veiw and running too far in the other direction.

2. MamaTheLama

MamaTheLama Too much coffee

The way I explain it to my kid is that pot is a drug like any other but people will tell him it's perfectly safe, which it is, when compared to other drugs.
    That doesn't mean it's safe when compared to being sober.

The joys or raising a child in Humboldt county, lol.

3. swazo

swazo i am amazing.

yes.

4. digitalldj

digitalldj Canucks ftw!

drug1 /drʌg/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[druhg] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, drugged, drug·ging.
    –noun 1. Pharmacology. a chemical substance used in the treatment, cure, prevention, or diagnosis of disease or used to otherwise enhance physical or mental well-being.
    2. (in federal law) a. any substance recognized in the official pharmacopoeia or formulary of the nation.
    b. any substance intended for use in the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease in humans or other animals.
    c. any article, other than food, intended to affect the structure or any function of the body of humans or other animals.
    d. any substance intended for use as a component of such a drug, but not a device or a part of a device.
    3. a habit-forming medicinal or illicit substance, esp. a narcotic.

by definition, it falls into each cattergory of the definition.

/dicussion

5. BudToker

BudToker Senior Member

Lots of things are drugs. Caffene is a drug, sugar is a drug, blah blah blah blah...

BTW, that definition does not include caffene or sugar...which means it is wrong (well not wrong, but it does not include all of the definitions). Never trust a definition that uses the word it is trying to define in the definition.

A drug is a substance that alters chemistry in the body or mind.

6. 40oz and chronic

40oz and chronic 'Nuff Said

drug is just a name. like addicted...i can be addict to heroin... and i can be addicted to video games. like digitall said, "a chemical substance"

psssstt...(THC)

7. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

shut up, it is a drug, stop being retarded

8. short-man420

short-man420 Member

i think it's all dependant on your personal view of marijuana if you consider it a drug or not
    people mostly use drugs to escape from their life, is that why you use marijuana?
    drugs are used to kill pain and help in the treatment of illnesses, is that why you use marijuana?

based on those two questions you can gather your own opinion on whether or not you think marijuana's a drug

technically, yes it is, but it's also a herb, it's been here longer than we have, and the active chemicals aren't extracted from it (except in the case of hash) like with other drugs

i don't consider it a drug based on my opinions of the plant, the effects, and the way i, personally, use marijuana

9. boothy

boothy Senior Member

Yes, it is a drug. So are most things, pretty much everything contains active chemicals that could be called "drugs".

10. Share the Warmth

Share the Warmth Member

It is a drug by the legal definition. The question I propose is, what does that mean? Is that legal definition some word from a high power that tells us what is good and what isn't good to put into our bodies? Cultures have been using drugs for thousands of years, since the begining of human civilization almost, and drugs have been proven to have beneficial uses, in the fields of medicine, art, and many others I'm sure.

Drugs are not evil. Addicts are not victims of drugs, but of their own psychological and chemical imbalances, their own problems. They need psychological help, not incarceration. An addict in prison to me is just as bad as someone who is mentally retarded or clinically insane in there.

Incarceration of the drug addict is not only immoral but also irrational.

11. BudToker

BudToker Senior Member

Not true. Sugar is a drug, and so is caffene. I use them for energy and to wake up in the morning.
    To everyone who is trying to argue the MJ is not a drug: Techincally Marijuana is a drug, just because you don't consider it a drug doesn't mean it isn't a drug. Its like saying a rock is not a rock. By defintion a rock is a rock and you can't change reality just by saying its not a rock...unless your in the Matrix. There is no rock!

12. l-foote

l-foote L not i.

marijuana is a drug, thats pretty obvious.
    whether it should be a legal drug or not is a whole different issue.

13. short-man420

short-man420 Member

i know what you're trying to get at, i said technically it is a drug

but i think the question he was asking is why some people are saying it isn't a drug and some people are saying it is, and it's somewhat a matter of opinion

because the textbook definition of "drug" includes caffine, sugar, marijuana, etc. doesn't mean that such substances are 'drugs' in the sense of the word that most people use 'drug'

14. SirTokesAlot

SirTokesAlot Lives

wait... didnt we just discuss this a few threads down?

15. BudToker

BudToker Senior Member

Gotcha

16. stonedmonkiwana

stonedmonkiwana K9 Handler

Well this question is all relative to what you think a drug is. By legal definition it would be considered a drug, but so is sugar, caffine, etc etc. I agree with Boothy, that "pretty much everything contains active chemicals that could be called "drugs".

Personally, I think marijuana is a drug, but so are a lot of other things. I am totally against illegalizing marijuana because it occurs naturally in nature. But I guess that is a whole different topic that I'm sure has been debated on this site since God knows when, so I won't even go there lol.

Peace!

17. Hobes

Hobes Member

i ave seen SO many threads on this it is unreal

18. SirTokesAlot

SirTokesAlot Lives

damn bro your 13..