Is life meaningless without a partner?

Discussion in 'Love and Sex' started by Grandeur, May 31, 2019.

1. Grandeur

Grandeur Members

Is it?

2. YouCanTrustMe

YouCanTrustMe Average Size Member

Wow, this is a question that will divide folks. I for one believe life is not worth living without sharing it with someone. But that may just be me.

3. Panama Jack

Panama Jack Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Interesting question indeed. There are those that choose to not share their life with anyone. I have Brother in law like that. We use to call men like that career bachelors. He is very intelligent and good, but is a very anti social person.
    I personally need to have my wife in my life to share it. We do everything together.

4. Grandeur

Grandeur Members

I think same as you. I broke up 2 weeks ago. We were in a relationahip for 11 months. I was unsure if she was the correct girl for me. She asked me if I loved her. I answered saying that I dont know. Then we broke up. 11 months relationahip was over.

She was my first gf in my life. I no longer wanted to be alone. What I feel was not really love against her but I feel sad that we broke up. I really do. I had some liking against her but not love.

5. Barry Mandelay

Barry Mandelay Banned

I knew a man who recently passed who was into his mid nineties. Never married, had two LTR's in his life, but never had anyone live with him. He told me after his second love passed of his regret in not marrying her.

So he remained a single man and died that way. No tragedy though. He was very active in the community. Traveled across the country many times with friends or by himself. Worked in a factory plus ran his own business for over 40 years. Always doing something with his time. He was never lonely as many people, friends, neighbors, and family would drop by or he would travel to them. He always enjoyed big events such as graduations and marriages but never had his own. As I said when he passed of old age, he was well over ninety years of age. He lived a very meaningful life.

The moral of this story is that life is all about how you make it. With or without a partner for life.

6. new Athenian

new Athenian Members

Thank you for sharing that with us it was very touching .

This really is a wonderful question and thanks for asking it.
    The short answer is no, life is what you make it.

I think men especially after great disappointment in life sometimes allow too much time to pass therefore become too secure and set in their ways thus build up a lot of resistance to ever forming such an alliance again. I've seen it many times in my lifetime.
    I saw a study once which stated that if a person divorced their greatest chance of re-marriage was within that first five years after which the odds of them ever re-marrying steadily declined after that namely because they become insulated and really good at living alone.

7. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

All life is worth living.
    I find having a partner to share with does burnish and shine it up.

8. SluttyJess

SluttyJess Members

I think there are other ways to make your life meaningful that don't require a partner, there's nothing wrong with wanting to share your life with one, I know that I'd like that, but there's also nothing wrong about not doing so

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I wouldn't say meaningless. I have my long term partner who's my now wife and we are female/female couple. I seem to need this close knit bond with her, I can't think of her ever not in my life. I am complete with her in my heart, body and soul.

Now I've had many friends but no one has pulled my hearts strings like my wife so I do think we are "meant to be" because I just done have these feelings for anybody else like I do her.

But I also know people who just aren't into the idea of being with someone. While that works when you're young I also sense many evenings at the coffee table, sipping coffee looking out the window, maybe even thinking life over.

10. DisciplineMajor

DisciplineMajor Members

meaningless? NO

really shit and depressing? YES

I have a small dick so I should know. You can add to others lives in ways but you can never have what you really want, damn.

11. Grandeur

Grandeur Members

It has been 24 days since I and my gf broke up. She was my first gf and we had been in a relationship for 11 months.

12. iamjustme

iamjustme Wishful thinker HipForums Supporter

I was in a bad marriage for 27 years. I married the wrong person, or rather, we both married the wrong person. As many do.
    After the kids went off to college and it was just the two of us...there was no way it was going to last. I was miserable and lost without the kids at home. No reason to be there.
    We divorced in 2015. A year later I met my 2nd wife, we have been married right at 2 years and holy sweet mother of God is my life better. It is an ENTIRELY different kind of life when you have someone who is truly on your side and not just loves you - but likes you.
    I am incredibly thankful for her.
    My regret is that we didn't meet many years ago. That is a painful thought. Her brother and sister and us stayed a long weekend in a cabin in NC mountains for her mother's 80th birthday, They had a slideshow of old pictures, including of course my wife. Several of her in her teens and early 20's. It was painful to watch. It really was. All of those wasted years we both had in bad marriages.