Is Lauryn Hill really racist?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by interval_illusion, Jan 27, 2005.

1. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

yep. come in at the end of a discussion and find a way to turn it into a fight. nice.

2. Gladstone Screwer

Gladstone Screwer Member

Well I don't know who he is and am happy for it to remain that way. These forums seem to suggest freedom of speech, but it seems that only applies if certain people like it. To insult someone without a valid reason (or atleased explained) is incredibly idiotic.

I have never attempted to insult anyone here and that should exempt me from being insulted. It is that simple.

3. mynameiskc

for example. let's look at the first statement here. considering the context of missf's question, it seems perfectly appropros to the conversation, being a related tangent in which over-sensitive twits here claim reverse racism every time missf makes a justified statement about the latent racism of their own statements. this is once again accomplished here. gladstone doesn't have to consider his own behavior if he can disparage missf's.

4. Gladstone Screwer

Gladstone Screwer Member

The obvious thing to do then would be to explain your point.

5. mynameiskc

and you were so quick to jump on the wagon, even when i edited it prior to you own pithy post. you're such a joiner! well done.

6. Mui

Mui Senior Member

black people should be racist towards whites.... i mean, just look at yourself!

7. Gladstone Screwer

Gladstone Screwer Member

I don't need to defend my behaviour and I wasn't, because I didn't say that she didn't like white people and I don't think her question was aimed at me, but I didn't know who had suggested that she does, so I asked

8. Gladstone Screwer

Gladstone Screwer Member

So you assume I am white I am actually oriental.

9. mynameiskc

oriental?

10. Gladstone Screwer

Gladstone Screwer Member

Yes I am from Hong Kong originally

11. mynameiskc

huh. i haven't heard anyone use the word "oriental" in years. it started to be considered kind of insulting because of it's overly broad nature, being inclusive of every east asian nationality. how funny.

12. missfontella

missfontella Mama of Da Assassins

????????????????

don't you mean asian?

13. mynameiskc

indeed. apparently he didn't know that oriental also applied to those from as far "west" as india at one time. therefore it's ambiguity, stemming from the imperialistic west, to whom all those "orientals" looked the same, was rather insulting.

14. Gladstone Screwer

Gladstone Screwer Member

Well yes I am Asian but Oriental can be used and it is not insulting, my family run a Oriental restaurant called 'The Oriental' so I hardly think it is racist at all, anyway I am happy with it.

15. missfontella

missfontella Mama of Da Assassins

I thought oriental was an adjective used described things

16. mynameiskc

hm. tell that to the asian kids i went to school with.

17. mynameiskc

a note, on it's sometimes offensive usage, and it's inoffensive usage.: Usage Note: Asian is now strongly preferred in place of Oriental for persons native to Asia or descended from an Asian people. The usual objection to Orientalmeaning “eastern”is that it identifies Asian countries and peoples in terms of their location relative to Europe. However, this objection is not generally made of other Eurocentric terms such as Near and Middle Eastern. The real problem with Oriental is more likely its connotations stemming from an earlier era when Europeans viewed the regions east of the Mediterranean as exotic lands full of romance and intrigue, the home of despotic empires and inscrutable customs. At the least these associations can give Oriental a dated feel, and as a noun in contemporary contexts (as in the first Oriental to be elected from the district) it is now widely taken to be offensive. However, Oriental should not be thought of as an ethnic slur to be avoided in all situations. As with Asiatic, its use other than as an ethnonym, in phrases such as Oriental cuisine or Oriental medicine, is not usually considered objectionable.

18. Gladstone Screwer

Gladstone Screwer Member

We clearly have different opinions on the word, but I am Oriental and happy to be known as such. How do you know these kids didn't like it?

19. mynameiskc

it was pointed out to me by my friends, shinobu and marcus, back when i was 12-13, and "oriental" was still heavily in use.

20. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

i used to have a cat that was an "chocolate oriental shorthair"