Is Lauryn Hill really racist?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by interval_illusion, Jan 27, 2005.

1. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

I used to love her music until i heard that... i heard she said she didnt want any white people buying her albums or something.

anyone know if that's true?

2. missfontella

missfontella Mama of Da Assassins

not touching that with a 10 foot pole

I'm not in the mood to get called names

3. interval_illusion

why? i really wanna know if that's true or not.... i just feel weird listening to her music if she doenst want me to cause im white.

4. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

i'm fairly certain that there's all kinds of acts out there that don't want my nerdy ass buying their music, and i just don't fucking care. if they didn't want me listening to it, they shoulda had an "invitation only" sale.

5. Faerie

Faerie Peachy

If your wondering... look for interviews where she said it... if its true.. youll find a interview on the net from a reputable site and have your proof

6. interval_illusion

well, it's like... i dunno... im just curious if it's true or not. cause i always loved her voice and the soul she puts into her songs. but if she hates white people then ill kinda lose some respect for her. but i dont even know if it's true or not.

7. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

she once said she would rather watch her children die than have one white person listen to her music. she has since recounted that statement, around the time she got that album of the year grammy, but I am anot gonna judge. people can think one way then feel differently later.

8. mynameiskc

i'm saying it wouldn't even matter if it WAS true. or if maybe at one time it was true but now she's evolved emotionally. i'm sure marilyn manson cringes at the idea of someone like me dancing and cleaning house to his music, and singing them out loud while shopping for diapers, but fuck 'im.

9. interval_illusion

yeah maybe that's what i heard, crummy. that's sick that she'd mention her kids like that. sick!

and kc.. manson is a lot nicer then the media pertrays him. he'd prolly like you.

10. Super_Grrl

Super_Grrl Crazy love

The thing is, as far as a lot of celebs are concerned, there's almost no such thing as bad publicity. So they say shit and it causes a big hoo-hah, but it gets them mentioned in magazines and on tv..

11. interval_illusion

speaking of celebs... who the hell cares about jenn and brad? i was in the grocery store and it seemed ALL the mags. had it on their covers. "did jenn cheat?" "how are they faring now?" "who's gonna get what?"

SHUT UP

12. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

I think she didnt mean it,( wanting her kids to die becuase you like her music) but she wanted to point out how her ( i think she was still a fugee then) music was not ever intended for a white person to relate to. It was byusforus as it were. but obviously there was hate meant to be implied. Rminds me of muslims that would rather see their children blowthem selves up than admit isreal will always be there. lotsa hate.

13. mynameiskc

well, i'm sure it would just be the whole "geek factor" making him cringe. it's awesome. i used to torment my uber popular older brother with my complete lack of interest in social proprieties or fashion. :D

though you're probably right. he'd probably laugh his ass off.

14. interval_illusion

haha marilyn is a big geek. i love him.

15. missfontella

missfontella Mama of Da Assassins

I never heard anything about it

but if crummy is right, I get it.

that would be considered racist of her, but I was once at a point where I had just began to realize the gravity of race relations. That combined with stupid youth made me say some things that I don't feel now. Its like a knee-jerk reaction to gaining knowledge of the sad state of things, to hearing your grandma tell you what she went through - people are not always mature enuff to handle the knowledge they acquire.

Its not right but I can't really knock her cause I have been there

I wouldn't care though, I mean there is a list of companies that ACTIVELY don't target black people.........but I will fuck a Quizno's sub up and think nothing of it

16. mynameiskc

quiznos is wrong and needs to be ended anyway. mentos, too. their commercials give me nightmares. there's just somethign so WRONG about mentos commercials. i think of the hitler youth or something. it's all the teeth...something about the glazed eyes, too.

17. interval_illusion

how is quiznos racist? just wondering.

and yeah, i see what you mean. i dont hate her or anything for saying that but when i heard that, i lost a lot of respect. her lyrics always seemed so WISE and stuff like that.

i know all different types of people are racist and i really just dont like it from ANY SIDE.

18. interval_illusion

omfg! if i was drinking anything when i read that... it would have come out my nose!

19. mynameiskc

i think she's saying that quiznos made a conscious decision to leave the black public off the advertising target list. they don' want them darkies in their stores, 'taint nuthin' but trubble.

20. interval_illusion

ive never eaten at a quiznos. how are their subs? are they like subway?

i prefer nice greasy, unhealthy subs. :)