Is it vegan?

Discussion in 'So you want to be a Vegetarian?' started by drumminmama, Oct 8, 2006.

1. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

2. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

haha ipod version....

3. drumminmama

4. napolean inrags95

napolean inrags95 Member

some people who are process based vegans would argue that most of those candies are not vegan because the majority of proccessed sugar is filtered through animal bone char. then again, so is some of our drinking water. for me, if the ingredients are vegan i will eat it, just thought i would throw that out there though.

5. drumminmama

true. I live near sugar beet fields and sort of forget about cane.
    Guess what a lot of water is filtered thru: anthracite coal.

6. drumminmama

7. bbbeccaaa

bbbeccaaa 12345678910

I don't really trust that petakids candy list...I've looked at a lot of the ingredients of those candies and some, if I'm not mistaken, have gelatin and other crap in them...I'll check their ingredients online to be sure.

8. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

That's because PETA goes by the theory that even if there is a small amount of animal product included such as gelatin, they do not believe you should avoid it, because they think as long as the demand goes up for meat-free products regardless of whether it has scant amounts of gelatin or milk included, it will bring us closer to having more vegan options available.

I guess it sounds nice in theory, to them, but I'd rather not be a flimsy vegan.

9. itsamagicallife

itsamagicallife Member

Please show me some proof that any of PETA's candy for kids is not vegan. PETA states on it's pitch for the candy that it contains no animal ingredients including gelatin. Keep your theories to yourself if you have no proof.

"Vegan Candy Is Dandy!
    Would you believe that some candies contain animal ingredients? It's true! Some candies are made from things like gelatin, which is mashed up cow skin, cartilage, and bones. And carmine, the red coloring used in some candies, is made from ground-up bugs. Can you believe that? Bugs! Blecch!

Wondering if some of your favorite sweets are animal-friendly? No worries-check out the list below and satisfy your sweet tooth with these vegan treats:

10. MollyThe Hippy

MollyThe Hippy get high school

all the vegan bars i see are the health food store and contain raw cane sugar which does use "not" bone char in the processing... white sugar is the scourge of health foodies

11. itsamagicallife

itsamagicallife Member

Some raw cane sugar is vegan. While the bone char filter is used by some major sugar companies, it is not used to produce all refined sugar. Producers of vegan bars are well aware with the problem of bone char and buy vegan sugar for their products. This is a description on one line of products "A washed, raw cane sugar with a rich molasses flavor, Fair trade, non-GMO, kosher; suitable for vegan, vegetarian, halal- and plant-based diets".

Vegan bars that have ingredients listed on my google search show sweeteners including Organic Agave Syrup, Organic Brown Rice Syrup, Organic Dates.

12. MollyThe Hippy

MollyThe Hippy get high school

did an edit... noticed i forgot a "not"

maybe not, but was under the understanding the raw sugar was bone char free

anyone have a definitive authoratative answer?

13. drumminmama

^^ and you never know if it is beet sugar. Depending on the (commodities) market on a given day, domestic beet sugar can be half the price of even domestic cane.

14. Woodpoppies

Woodpoppies Member

On Petas vegan by accedient page it says swedish fish is vegan. ... I thought it wasnt vegan becuase of red 40. I am confused LOL !!

15. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

wow this is old, but my bad, I said that because of a different list I read from peta...some "surprisingly vegan" type of thing. It wasn't the kid's candy list, which might be different. so my bad, if I was wrong that.