Is it uncool to believe in God?

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by MyWORDiTtruth, Oct 6, 2013.

1. GreatestIam

GreatestIam Member

Senseless garbage.

Regards
    DL

2. junglejack

junglejack aiko aiko

It is my view that all literalists and fundamentals hurt all of us who are moral religionists as well as those who do not believe. They all hurt their parent religions and everyone else who has a belief or not. They make us all into laughing stocks and should rethink their position. There is a Godhead but not the God of talking animals, genocidal floods and retribution. Beliefs in fantasy, miracles and magic are evil.

Of course there is very little room to respect the money grabbing bullshiting TV evangelists:rolleyes:-
    But if your asking me if I respect my family and the nuns I had in school- -of course I do- -They were doing what parents do (or at least did 55 yrs ago)- they were trying to instill sometime of faith in thier children. It,s the way they were brought up and they were just doing thier job as parents to pass it on. The same with the nuns in school- just doing thier job,of course I respect them. As I got older (and older still)- I began to question the teaching of the church and all established religions- doing my job trying to accept and keep spirituality in my life.

3. GreatestIam

GreatestIam Member

Who are you having that prayerful conversation with?

Is believing the answer you just gave not self-centered and self-aggrandizing?

Look at me, your ego says. God is listening to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmwqnqL3Hbg

Jesus said seek God, not pray to an idol.

You are idol worshipping your Godinabook.

Regards
    DL

4. GreatestIam

GreatestIam Member

I also have a love hate relationship to the R C that I was born into.

I owe them a fair bit for the help thy provided me as a youth. That does not mean that I can forgive them for the evil that I have learned that they did at the same time and continue to do today. I was just lucky to get the good and not the evil although it was a close thing.

If you recognize that you do have a spiritual side as I do then I recommend you listen to this man. His methods are close to what I did to push my apotheosis. He makes a lot of sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdSVl_HOo8Y"]1A Hidden Meanings In Bible - YouTube

BTW, we are likely in the same general age group and if like my parents, yours likely knew little about the real Christian dogma based on human sacrifice and the punishment of the innocent instead of the guilty.

Preachers have been cherry picking away from the O T for generations.

How often did you hear some of the stories in this clip?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx7irFN2gdI"]God on Trial: The Verdict - YouTube

Regards
    DL

5. junglejack

junglejack aiko aiko

I forgave - Hell, forgiveness is a part of my spirituality. Besides its been so long since Ive held onto the same thoughts of the vengeful god of the old testament that they used to teach,,it would be silly not to-
    Too many yrs have gone by- Ive evolved, and they,re dead..

Being an open minded kinda guy-:cool:-- Ill listen to the video and get back to ya
    jj

6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

You seem to have answered for me and with it projected at least 4 things on me that are not true :D I am tempted to explain but do not see the point with you. Just be aware that what you are saying are merely your opinions and associations. I am aware that what I say are simply mine ;)
    It seems utterly pointless the way you are focussing on a certain kind of christian and connect it with the basic essence of believing in God, which naturally can be done in numerous different ways out of numerous of different motives. Same with the basic essence of prayer.

7. GreatestIam

GreatestIam Member

Thanks for this jj.

Regards
    DL

8. GreatestIam

GreatestIam Member

While you ignore the essence that Jesus put to it.

Satan will be pleased.

Regards
    DL

9. Asmodean

:2thumbsup:

10. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

What don't you understand?

11. Asmodean

And why be so offended by it? ;)

12. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

yeah it is becoming apparent that Greatest has much more of a closed mind and stuck in dogma more than the Christians he rails against and the ones here.

So typical. :rolleyes:

13. Asmodean

He is just here for kicks and provoking, too bad he has chosen a topic that lots of agitating atheists have discussed here much better before him.

14. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

It's the tool being used. We get over our shame, embarrassment, pretty quickly and it is not much of an inducement to come out, as matter of fact we try to hide finding ourselves naked and exposed. So there is a disconnect between this moments exposure to shame and a future moments impulse to do something shameful. This results in a horrible confusion as a person tries to sort out for himself what his good nature is. If anyone in any guise had accused someone of violating a moral code they are blaspheming against the good nature of a man. Once you have done this you cannot redeem yourself from suspicion and will find no rest or safe harbor in the world save for the mechanism of learning forgiveness. We forgive not what others are doing to us but what we are doing to them!

And to Greatestlam, every one here knows that shit stinks but mostly if left to ourselves we handle our own. We start spreading shit around when we think that somehow ours had begun to smell like roses.

15. Jimmy P

Jimmy P bastion of awesomeness

Sorry, haven't read the whole thread..
    But if those are your definitions, then it is most definitely cool to believe in this god. Considering the millions of people in the US alone who believe fanatically, and considering the fact that proclaiming to be atheist is political suicide in the US, it is wildly delusional to think that believing in the god of the Bible is unpopular, especially in the US.

16. NikeGirl

NikeGirl Member

I love God and I love The Bible.
    I am a sinner, but I know that God still loves me.

17. GreatestIam

GreatestIam Member

Love, like faith, is dead without works and deeds. Right?

You show the people you love by how you treat them and your actions. Right?

Other than things you cannot prove, like creation, what has God ever done directly for you?

Be specific please.

On the bible itself, do you see a moral God in it? Can it be said of a genocidal son murderer that he is a good God?

Especially after what he has done to women?

It was God's plan from the beginning to have Adam and Eve eat the forbidden fruit. This can be demonstrated by the fact that the bible says that Jesus "was crucified from the foundations of the Earth," that is to say, God planned to crucify Jesus as atonement for sin before he even created human beings or God damned sin.

1Peter 1:20 0 He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake.

This indicates that Jesus had no choice.

If God had not intended humans to sin from the beginning, why did he build into the Creation this "solution" for sin? Why create a solution for a problem you do not anticipate?

God knew that the moment he said "don't eat from that tree," the die was cast. The eating was inevitable. Eve was merely following the plan.

This then begs the question.

What kind of God would plan and execute the murder of his own son when there was absolutely no need to?

Only an insane God. That’s who.

The cornerstone of Christianity is human sacrifice, thus showing it‘s immorality.

One of Christianity's highest form of immorality is what they have done to women. They have denied them equality and subjugated them to men.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqN8EYIIR3g&feature=related"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqN8EYIIR3g&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dspWh9g3hU&feature=related"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dspWh9g3hU&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c0RFxXrYzg&feature=related"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c0RFxXrYzg&feature=related

Regards
    DL

18. Indy Hippy

Indy Hippy Zen & Bearded

Not even touching the off topic parts of this thread, but I will say that believing in one's own deity should not be measured by such trivial stereotypes as cool or uncool. To demean one's faith by subjecting it to such pointless vanity is wrong and quite sad. Is God cool? To those who believe in their God, of course. But at the same time subjecting your God to such terms really just spits in His face. Do you honestly think that your God cares about wether He is cool or not? He obviously doesn't since the bible says in

1st Peter Chapter 3 Verse 15-17
    but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence; 16 and keep a good conscience so that in the thing in which you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame. 17 For it is better, if God should will it so, that you suffer for doing what is right rather than for doing what is wrong."

19. GreatestIam

GreatestIam Member

I agree with you on ---- cool.

If Christians would walk their talk then all would see the beauty that can come from living it and there would only be one religion on earth as all would gravitate to it. They do not though and we all see the hypocrisy.

Instead we see the justification for this.

"Whoever imagines himself a favorite with God,
    holds other people in contempt.
    Whenever a man believes that he has the exact truth from God,
    there is in that man no spirit of compromise.
    He has not the modesty born of the imperfections of human nature;
    he has the arrogance of theological certainty and the tyranny born of ignorant assurance.
    Believing himself to be the slave of God,
    he imitates his master,
    and of all tyrants,
    the worst is a slave in power."
    --Robert Ingersoll

Regards
    DL

20. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

god can blow some wind around . one time words were made with
    clouds , and i did what it say . another time i made some new drums
    and set them in circle around the fire . a little whirlwind came by to
    bless them - spun the smoke round the circle once , then reversed ,
    and so the smoke touched every drum again going the other way .

sometimes i like to say god is small and has plenty of power to blow
    a little wind about meaningfully . but , of these things and more i've
    written here before .

don't relate ? you don't to talking birds either . don't listen ? maybe
    something is too noisy . it wouldn't be a tree . trees are whisperers .