Is it true “The President Creates Jobs”?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Xboxoneandsports32490, Aug 7, 2022.

1. Xboxoneandsports32490

Xboxoneandsports32490 Members

Just wondering, when I watch the news, sometimes I’ll hear them commenting about “unemployment” and “President creating jobs”? My question is: Don’t you feel more it should be the persons qualifications, experience, and what they bring to the job that decides whether they should be hired? Would you ever think your current job or occupation was “Created by the Biden administration” or by yourself?

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I didn't hear much bitching from the right when Trump "created all them jobs" he claimed he did.

Go figure...

3. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

It is a figure of speech describing how many jobs were created BY INDUSTRY during the administration.

No president actually creates jobs, he may appoint some to posts in the government, and OK legislation that creates new job categories... but he doesn't actually create them...

It's all political grandstanding.

4. JPN2

JPN2 Supporters HipForums Supporter

No.

5. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

It’s complicated. Presidents and congress do influence job creation by fiscal and taxation policies. Tax breaks for the wealthy versus the middle class are not very effective in creating jobs or added economic activity because the marginal propensity to consume (mpc) is lower for higher income people. Instead added income is more often put into financial investments. These financial investments are often off-shore and are used to avoid taxes. In contrast less wealthy people spend added income directly on goods and services that increase economic activity and ultimately create jobs.

luxury expenditures are also often poor job creators because many of those purchase are in the world market. French wines for example rather than California wines or jaguars rather than Fords. In poor economic times government spending can be an effective job creator and in prosperous economic times increased taxation can dampen over expansion. So there are no simple answers.