Is it too late to help?

Discussion in 'Pollution' started by yellowcab, Oct 22, 2013.

1. yellowcab

yellowcab Fresh baked

2. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

Just a load of measurements. Most of the ocean and the water on Earth is intact. It is finite Water over the extents of fooled infinity of vast measured essence.

But it is sad that people without each other's presence can be so mindless and expose themselves with such careless waste relieving of their sordid and un-sordid activity.:sunny:

3. yellowcab

yellowcab Fresh baked

Well I think that most of the water on Earth is still intact as you put it I also think that we are at a real tipping point as to which way we go. Using plastics as we do has to stop, its a massive cause of pollution going into our waters. While the Ocean is vast its not really big enough to dump all our garbage into without reprisals.

4. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

I think we should go back to the R.R.R. system of commercially and residentially recycling the plastic bottles; or maybe return them to the local store for further return to the production plant.

5. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

Go back to? that system still exists...

6. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

First of all, plastic bottles are not recycled into more plastic bottles.
    Manufacturing from virgin plastic is still cheaper than recycling plastic, therefore it is a smaller footprint environmentally.
    It's not profitable to recycle plastic therefore it is a waste of time and resources, water, electricity, etc.

Until we can change the factors, more importantly perhaps the attitudes of a capitalist system, where the environment is only worth the resorces it can produce, we will never come close to tackling environmental degridation in its myriad forms.

7. eggsprog

Most plastic bottles actually get turned into carpet.

8. Gongshaman

Pretty sure thats not true either, I'd be impressed if you could provide a corroborating link.

9. yellowcab

yellowcab Fresh baked

This whole thing is just plain sickening, I dont really see alot of hope that this could be fixed with things being what the are today. The whole worlds attitude about littering would have to change. Not to mention corporate greed and the whole profit over the environment attitude. Too many people getting rich making all this cheap 1 use/dispose of plastic packaging. Every single day tons of plastic debris finds its way into our oceans just from storm drain runoff, littering and other improper garbage disposal.

10. eggsprog

http://www.mohawkflooring.com/flooring-products/carpet/everstrand.aspx

I don't know if it is still true, but in either 2011 or 2012 (I forget which year I was told this in, could have been true for both) they were the number one purchaser or recycled plastic bottles in the USA. There is another mill basically the same size that also uses plastic bottles for some of their products, so I would assume that their purchases were also fairly substantial.

11. eggsprog

As disgusting as littering is, I think that it most likely makes up a fraction of a percentage of all of the environmental damage caused by humans. It is just very visible.

12. Gongshaman

Thanks
    Sounds about right, they may have purchased a lot of bottles but who knows if it really worked out, lotta green PR to be had in the effort though no doubt.
    I worked for a plastics manufacturer that tried to get into recycling plastic bottles to use as raw material for injection molding. The big problem was shredding and cleaning the material. They spent a lot of money and hauled in bunk after bunk of HDPE bottles but they never produced a product they could sell over virgin plastic, the quality and profitability just wasn't there.

13. yellowcab

yellowcab Fresh baked

Totally agree, just sucks as its probably the easiest thing to fix if people would just be a little careful about discarding things and stop wrapping everything in some kind of plastic container/bag.

14. eggsprog

The quality is there with Mohawk's products, but I really have no idea if it actually works out better environmentally. You're definitely right, 'going green' is very popular in marketing right now.