Is it time to talk about guns?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Balbus, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I think they would consider that "infringing"

2. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

You have a right to live by virtue of your awareness . See trouble coming ? For this , people
    ask help of Spirit . Will Spirit to help you acquire a gun ? Or the opposite ...

3. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

But if that is true isn’t it true of places other than the US?

And wouldn’t you then mitigate against that, try to limit those types of people from getting access to very lethal weapons

I mean someone with a rock or club is not going to be able to do as much damage to as many people as someone with a modern firearm, even someone with a knife is easier to subdue than someone with a modern firearm.

I’m an atheist and a rationalist, there is no god, this is about what Americans want because I would point out that the US is not exceptional, it has a gun problem but it doesn’t have to, it could try and do something about it – but it seems to me that many Americans don’t want to change things for some reason they seem to want the slaughter to continue – I can’t understand why.

granite45 and MeAgain like this.
  4. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Dadgum zombies!

hotwater likes this.
  5. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I agree fully With the law in the UK. few criminals will risk 14 years behind bars for simply carrying a gun simply to steal your computer games.:D

As a result, it is only when organised criminals set out to steal millions that they even consider carrying a gun.

Rival drug gangs seem to be the only people who own guns in the UK and as long as they confine their activities to shooting each other, as far as am concerned they can carry on with it. :)
    Although no one would ever admit it, I suspect that the police share my views. :D:D:D

6. lion1978

lion1978 The King

To a point I would agree with this point of view, the problem though is, at least in denmark, that those cangsters are so terrible at shooting that they rarely hit each other and mostly inocent bystanders, cause for some reason they like to shoot at each other with as many witnesses as possibly....I don't really get that part, maybe I'm just to stupid

wilsjane likes this.
  7. wilsjane

Every year, American police kill around 1,000 people with guns, 30 of them innocent bystanders.

Here in the UK, our police kill around 3 and all of them deserved it. We have only killed 1 innocent person in error in the last 30 years and that was at the height of the terrorist attacks in London.
    The mistake was that the guy lived in another unknown apartment at the terrorists hide out. He boarded a packed London carrying a rucksack and when he put it down and opened it, he died in a hail of bullets. We STILL blame the police, but had he been one of the terrorists, he would have killed around 200 people.
    The woman who authorised the shooting is now our daughters boss and she openly admits that incident haunts her every day of her life.

8. wilsjane

I only know of one case where they hired a gunman and the idiot shot the wrong person.
    The problem was that the intended victim knew that he was the intended target and decided to return the compliment. Within a week, the gang members were spending most of their time shooting each other.
    To prevent panic among everyday people the police went public with the whole story, so not too many tears were shed.

9. lion1978

lion1978 The King

No the brightsest kid in the classroom I asume ( and hope)

Yeah it would probably be more productive for them and profitable if they were to sit down and talk, negotiate terms and stuff.

wilsjane likes this.
  10. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Wil

A couple of things here –

1) Were the criminals that get murdered born as criminals?

There is an old saying ‘but for the grace of god go I’ – how do you know that if things had been different you might not have turned out differently.

Is glee and a smily face at the death of a fellow human being a good response of should it be what went wrong and how can we fix it so other human being don’t die?

2) We have a drug gang issue because we have a drug issue which is in the main due to bad drug policies.

Does prohibition work or does it just result in criminal activity and the wars for territory that go with it?

I’ve said many times that to tackle the gun issue it needs a holistic approach it is not just about gun control laws but things like healthcare reform, drug policy reform and welfare reform.

MeAgain, granite45 and lion1978 like this.
  11. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

So, it is not about categorical reformist tinkering . Murderousness is of psycho-drama .
    Being experienced in hallucination may be helpful in understanding and attending to
    affective language . Arguing a reasoned political position being ineffective and droll .

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  12. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

As to post 150---I was referring to humanity as a whole. Not just the US. I think you missed the point which was: some humans are murderous. All humans are potentially murderous. It's inherent in the species. The lust for power and control over others has seemingly been and is still evident by simply perusing written history and observing the modern world today. The fact that weapons exist at all proves to me that the human race contains within itself those that will and do rise to power over others and employ oft times hideous methods of gaining and keeping power and control. Name almost any country and one can find inequities from the unbelievably cruel and sadistic to inequities gained and maintained by so-called civilized legislative methods. Societies rise and fall in fits and starts over the vast reaches of our beginnings in Africa to this modern era, but one can be sure that weapons have been constantly employed against each other and I can't see how that will ever end. Can you? Will Murphy's law be the end of us due to the efficacy of our modern weaponry? Does it matter?

Of course many millions of humans can be very noble and do "righteous " deeds in everyday life and perform unselfish and sometimes dangerous acts for others that remind one of what life could and should be for all of humanity. Glimmers of hope if one cares to look. Is that good enough?

wrat1 likes this.
  13. DarthDva

DarthDva Members

If there was a button to confiscate all guns (including all governments in the world) then you have a logical argument. However it does not make sense to ban guns from civilians but allow corrupt and crooked governments to have as much guns as they want. You'd have to go country to country, getting every government to give up their guns, which is never going to happen, and also get every criminal and corrupt political official to also give up their guns, which is also never going to happen. America is in the routine of invading other countries and stealing their oil, so countries are not going to be eager to give up their defenses to be more vunerable to america.

A similar mindset is with police and ordinary citizens, police and ordinary citizens do not want to be attacked by criminals, so they are not eager to give up their weapons to a corrupt government they do not really trust, a government that blatantly violates its own laws and constitution, a government that enforces taxation without representation, a government that violates its own privacy laws, a government that openly admits to wanting 95% population reduction.

Their context was in the context of, whatever guns the governments have the militia should have also, incase the government got too corrupt. So if the government has m249s then the militia should also have m249s.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  14. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

You can't expect to be successful bringing an m249 to a drone fight. If the military wanted to take this country over--it would happen.

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  15. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Again we come to the "they want to confiscate each and every gun in the world". No, just some of the more lethal privately owned guns which have little practical use other than killing people in mass.

It does make sense to ban certain guns from public use as guns in a Democratic Republic should never be used to fight government corruption. That is the role of the media, laws, legislators, the court system, voters, , education, and honest honorable citizens.

No one is talking about disarming the military.

The police are part of the government.

What are you talking about in regards to a 95% population reduction?

Balbus and granite45 like this.
  16. DarthDva

DarthDva Members

The media, laws, legislators and educational system is part of the corruption, so good luck with that I guess. Honest honorable citizens are few and far between, most just vote for demagogues.

A lot of illegal guns that criminals use are military surplus, so you'd have to disarm all militaries in the world in order to ensure that criminals don't have guns. Not to mention that many militaries in of themself are criminal, so banning guns from civies but not the military doesn't really make sense from that point of view. For every school shooting there are hundreds of times more deaths from military conflicts worldwide, but since its all part of the plan (status quo) most people don't really complain as much about it.

Our government is controlled by the same people that want 95% population reduction.

They already don't give us much privacy but what if one day they decide to go door to door putting nanochips in everyone? With no guns who is gonna stop them? Although nowadays most people are so domesticated they'd go along with it even if they did have guns. What is to stop the corrupt government officials from creating a capitalist dystopia and forcing everyone to work in cubicles as slaves of capitalism, mandatory nanochips and whatever else they want to do.

17. DarthDva

DarthDva Members

Give the militia drones then. Weapon classification would depend on citizen status, for instance if the government got too corrupt then the elites could help assist the rebellion.

18. MeAgain

So, in your opinion the only non corrupt individuals including unarmed private citizens, are private citizens with guns?
    First of all no one is talking about banning all guns from civilian use. I have no idea where you came up with that.
    Second many militaries are not criminal.
    Third, I know of lots of people who complain about wars.
    Fourth just becasue some criminals may have gotten hold of ex military arms doesn't mean something can't be done about it.
    Really? What government are you talking about?
    Who are the people controlling it?
    Where did you find this information?
    What if my aunt was my uncle?
    If someone tries to legislate implanted nano chips in everyone I suppose the legislature,the free press, peaceful demonstrations, the ballot box, the court system, etc. would be the ones to stop it. Not someone with a gun trying to stop one of these with a AR 15.

[​IMG]

19. MeAgain

Don't forget hydrogen bombs and a couple of these:

[​IMG]

20. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

The human species is the most destructive, and self destructive species on earth. Wantonly killing for the joy of killing.

scratcho likes this.