Is it time to talk about guns?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Balbus, Mar 24, 2021.

1. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Of course the environment in the US is more like Canada, or the UK, or Ireland, or Portugal or Costa Rica………There may be rules on the book in Mexico but apparently they are not “regulated” because of the ability of the government and society to do so. That is the society the anti vaxers, Q Anon and “stolen election” types seem infatuated with.

stormountainman and MeAgain like this.
  2. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Well I did loose four ducks, a goose, and my entire melon patch in one year.

But they're cheaper than bullets.

So you feel required smoke detectors, construction codes, Underwrite Lab standards, plumbing codes, swimming pool fences, ground fault outlets, grounding rods, sewage disposal, railing laws, etc. are all forms of some sort of dictatorship?
    You have no problem with the sort of building standard shown below and feel all new homes can be constructed this way? (Sans the spider webs) No requirement to have insulated wiring for example, in your private environ?
    Or are you just opposed to gun regulations?
    [​IMG]

granite45 likes this.
  3. MeAgain

Please explain what you are talking about.

stormountainman likes this.
  4. wrat1

wrat1 Members

What if there are NOT children in the home? what if there are and the children are taught to respect firearms? seems the accidents with children are generally when they FIND the hidden gun and were NOT taught to respect the firearms

5. MeAgain

What if there aren't children in the home? You could advance the same argument for smoke detectors, railing spacing, ground faults, etc. Children aren't he only ones that are irresponsible at times.

I think it's great to teach children to respect all sorts of things. I was taught to respect automobiles and the rules of the road. Didn't stop me when I was a teenager from speeding.
    Children are naturally curious and irresponsible at times even when taught otherwise. In addition it's tough to teach a two year old what a gun is and what the consequences of playing with one could be. And don't tell me a two year old can't pull the trigger on some guns.

stormountainman and granite45 like this.
  6. MeAgain

I think there is a misunderstanding as to how a law or regulation about securing guns in a home would work.

First of all I think 23 states have no laws at all about gun storage in the home. I may be wrong on the number, but it's around that.
    No one is going to break into your house and demand to see how you store your guns, no one is going to issue a warrant to inspect how you store your guns without just cause.

But if some gun related issue arises with a gun you own and store in your home such as an accidental shooting involving a child, a gun being stolen from your home and used in a crime, a homicide or shooting involving your gun, and so on; then if there are laws in your state about proper gun storage, then and only then how you store or safe guard your gun or guns may be called into question and if it is then found that you violated a law or regulation then you may be subject to a fine or imprisonment.

A fine and or imprisonment could vary all the way from a misdemeanor in Utah, Mississippi and Tennessee for recklessly providing a firearm to a $15,000 fine or 12 years in prison in Massachusetts for storing a gun were a child could get access to it.

As of 2019.

7. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

TrudginAcrossTheTundra Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

"...then and only then how you store or safe guard your gun or guns may be called into question and if it is then found that you violated a law or regulation then you may be subject to a fine or imprisonment."

Sounds great on paper, but there is no need for a specific law on the topic. A simple law for reckless endangerment covers this plus any other scenarios. When specific scenarios are defined for such foolish activities then it forms a loophole for people to get away with things unlisted. "You never told me that was unlawful" kind of defense.

Also, it really does open the door to the future possibility of required inspections of your home for listed infractions.

8. MeAgain

Meanwhile Wisconsin Republicans introduced a bill allowing 18 year olds to carry concealed weapons. That sounds like a good idea, not. Of course they can't legally buy a weapon until they're 21 so they'll just have to circumvent background checks and such and buy their gun in the street.

They also want concealed guns on school grounds, in churches, in private schools, and to allow out of staters with concealed gun permits the same rights as Wisconsin citizens.

All to protect the 2nd Amendment, although I can't find anything in the 2nd about that.

9. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

TrudginAcrossTheTundra Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Wow, Wisconsin is very progressive!
    My concern is that of training. I feel like maybe there should be a test of proficiency (safety and operation). There's sort of a test for driving.

10. MeAgain

I don't believe reckless endangerment can cover an improperly stored gun unless the act of improperly storing a gun is considered reckless.
    In other words if a kitchen knife is stored in a kitchen drawer and a child finds it and hurts someone with it the owner of the knife can't be charged with reckless endangerment for storing a kitchen knife in a kitchen drawer as that is accepted practice, no law addresses such storage, and such storage would be considered the norm.
    Same with a gun, if the storage of a gun under a bedroom pillow is considered the norm, as there is no law that addresses such storage, reckless endangerment can't apply.

As to loopholes.
    Using that logic no laws can ever be implemented as the definition and implementation of any law or regulation will always provide the opportunity for someone to look for loopholes in that definition and implementation.
    Ignorance of the law is seldom a sound defense, especially in the case of guns. Guns are a known hazard to any responsible, rational person who owns one as the primary purpose of a gun is to project a highly dangerous object great distances at a very high velocity. Any reasonable person buying and owning a gun knows it can generate tremendous harm, they aren't buying and possessing a basket ball or a spatula.
    The old slippery slope argument. Just like those nasty smoke detector laws, now the feds can bust in to check my smoke detectors and bust me for downloading illegal videos.

11. MeAgain

I'll agree with that.
    Anyone who owns a gun must attend mandatory training sessions at their own expense, pass periodic safety and proficiency tests, be found to be of sound mental capacity, have a background check run, posses some sort of insurance covering use and storage of their weapons, and a record maintained of the compliance of the above. And a card with a photo similar to a driver's license should be carried attesting to the above anytime the weapon is taken out in public, same as a diver's license.

12. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I agree with every bit of that!

13. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

There is a lee progressive loader in my future, maybe 6 months or so if things go smoothly (Sooo,probably a year + I'd guess)

And thankfully I hear of at least two new manufacturers starting in Az & Tx popping out primers so maybe by the time I'm ready I'll be able to find primers at reasonable prices.

14. MeAgain

Progressivism has not historically been associated with a lessening of gun laws. In fact progressives are usually the ones who want more regulation of firearms, not less.
    So I don't know how you could describe a bill or law to allow 18 year old teenagers to carry concealed weapons progressive.
    The idea of allowing 18 year old gang members to legally carrying concealed weapons doesn't seem very progressive to me.

stormountainman and granite45 like this.
  15. Eric!

18 year old gang members would never be allowed to carry concealed- concealed carry requires a criminal background check. That alone will disqualify a vast majority of them. Then there’s the legal responsibility of carrying concealed- you can’t consume alcohol while carrying, you can’t be the instigator of a dispute that ultimately ends with you using your firearm, you can’t flash or present your weapon in a threatening manner, etc.,etc….
    In my opinion, 21 should be the legal age to conceal carry. 18 is too you and irresponsible. 21 is not that much older, but at least you’re old enough to legally drink in most states.

16. MeAgain

I understand what you are saying, but the Wisconsin Republican sponsored Senate Bill 619 (SB619) was passed on Jan 13, 2022. This bill allows anyone who can legally own a gun to carry that gun in a concealed manner without obtaining a permit. No back ground check is needed, no forms to fill out, no permission needs to be granted.
    The term adult has been changed to include 18 year olds. In Wisconsin any adult, under this bill age 18, may own a gun unless they have been convicted of a felony crime, have been found by a court of law to be addicted to drugs, mentally ill, incompetent, or under a restraining order.

Most gang members and other irresponsible 18, 19, and 20 year olds would not fall into this category until they do.
    In other words even if there are gang members who are not allowed to own guns or carry them in a concealed manner, it is very simple to have other members in your gang who haven't as yet been convicted of any felony, etc. who will be allowed to carry concealed weapons as they stroll along beside some member who is not allowed to have a gun.

In addition as TrudginAcrossTheTundra pointed out, and I quote:
    As he points out all this proposed bill will do is form "loopholes for people to get away with things" and open the door for the future possibility of allowing such things as even more types of guns to be carried in more public areas by more types of people such as those currently not allowed by state or federal law.

stormountainman and Eric! like this.
  17. myndtyme

myndtyme Banned

18. Eric!

Yep, there’s pretty much a loophole in almost every law. There’s no black and white, always plenty of grey areas that are identified later down the road.

19. NubbinsUp

NubbinsUp Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The only people who talk about changing or repealing the 2nd Amendment are those who want to leave it exactly as it is? That's more than kind of goofy. It's also completely false. Those who talk about restricting the keeping and bearing of arms through legislation, without Constitutional amendment, are being imprudent. In order to enact prudent gun laws, one first has to eliminate the Constitutional barrier to the enactment of those laws. Legislation that cannot withstand a challenge on Constitutional grounds is never prudent. It's a waste of time and money.

The "well regulated militia" language might allow Congress to bar gun ownership by dishonorably discharged veterans. Well, guess what? It does exactly that. That Federal criminal statute is already on the books, because the Constitution provides for it. Before you ask for legislative and executive-branch votes and signatures on new laws that infringe the right to keep and bear arms, you've got to change the Constitution. That's what prudence demands. Only the lazy and imprudent say otherwise.

20. MeAgain

Here's an example of how open carry laws work for black folks.

Eric! likes this.