Is it time to talk about guns?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Balbus, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

The sign at the door of local hardware store.
    DF50828E-E017-442B-8E7F-D71296B22139.jpeg

2. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

Would it peak your interest ?
    Or would you go next door ?

3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I'm not a criminal.

erofant and Toecutter like this.
  4. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I think that sign might peak their interest in finding a different prospective victim.;)

wrat1 likes this.
  5. Tyrsonswood

That sign says "This house has guns in it".

I guess a "criminal" isn't smart enough to wait until the "proficient shooter" isn't home to break in and stock up...

Piobaire and MeAgain like this.
  6. wrat1

wrat1 Members

the average criminal is a not to bright opportunist so

7. erofant

erofant Members

I thought that too. Always a possibility. I knew that guy, and he showed me his bedroom. It was FULL of guns .......... all of them loaded in case of a break-in at night. He was a gunsmith.

But you're right - for a truly daring burglar - the sign might be a temptation to "try it." If the car's not in the driveway (might be in the garage- no window), or the wife may have taken it - and he's still at home. I'm sure there'd be SOME idiot that would risk it.

scratcho likes this.
  8. Harrison Miller

Harrison Miller Members

I agree with you.

9. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

If the sign works do well why not just buy the sign and forget about the guns?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    Tyrsonswood likes this.
  10. Tyrsonswood

There is no way to inject logic into this discussion...

MeAgain likes this.
  11. scratcho

12. erofant

erofant Members

Let's say you hear glass break at 3 am, or your front door gets kicked in with one kick (which sadly happens even in broad daylight these days) .......... what do you do?? Call the police ?? (if you can get to a phone) How long until a cop gets there?? Will the bad guy wait ....... delay from attacking if he knows someone's home?? I doubt it. Rapist or robber isn't going to wait at all. Where are those damn police !!!!????? I hear footsteps on the stairs!!!!!! 10 minutes - no cops yet.

Now if you had a shotgun (it sprays a wide pattern of shot pellets, so pin-point aiming isn't necessary) - you could fend off ANY invader easily, as long as you get trained to use the shotgun. NO CRIMINAL in his right mind will advance on a shotgun. I've been hit with shotgun pellets fired from a long distance ( about 125 yards ) by a skeet shooter on a windy day. The pellets didn't break through my jeans, but they stung like fire brands!!!! Hurt like hell !!! So in a home situation of say, 30 feet or so, a shotgun will 100% take an invader criminal OUT. Remember ......... HE'S the one in the wrong ........... not you. You have a legal right to defend yourself.

Not a pleasant situation ....... but it's either you or him.

stormountainman, mcme, Eric! and 3 others like this.
  13. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

They'll never get past my "I've got a gun" sign.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
  14. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

15. erofant

erofant Members

That sign made me LOL !! IMO - forget the political "tags" and posturing ................ in today's world ................ it's still them or you. Hiding in a closet with your cell phone won't cut it.

Cops can't be everywhere, and law enforcement budget-cutting was already happening BEFORE the latest BLM movements and protests over bona fide police criminal misconduct. Budgets were being cut EVERYWHERE - and police depts. were NOT immune to those cuts.

Toecutter and scratcho like this.
  16. scratcho

What's that saying----I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six?

17. wrat1

wrat1 Members

all day long and twice on sunday!

18. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Hell, just pumping the shotgun alone within earshot of the burglar, could be enough to scare most of them off.

19. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

It’s gonna be him….or her….Women break into houses too!

20. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

Speaking of guns in untrained hands, I finally had the time to put a couple hundred rounds through my 3rd gem Colt S.A.A. and came to find that once the piece gets warmed up, at around the 10th shot or so the cylinder begins to drag a bit as it turns.

Came to find at some point in it's life an unknown individual seems to have had some difficulty opening the loading gate and rather than field strip it and see what the problem is they used something like a screwdriver to force it open...
    Had they bothered with 10-15 minutes of YouTube they might have seen how simple it would have been to pull the grip & trigger guard allowing access to the tensioning screw which pushes on the spring to keep the gate shut and had been cranked in all the way...
    NOW I get to find a replacement loading gate and do a tiny bit of filing to the frame of the pistol where their prying tool dug in to the nickel :(