Is it time to talk about guns?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Balbus, Mar 24, 2021.

1. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I’m former military and I’m pro-guns and support the 2nd amendment, but there are times when I question the validity of the line “ the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed”

Case in point...................

stormountainman likes this.
  2. lion1978

lion1978 The King

True, or at least no one has yet to my knowledge, but fishermen and carpenters and chefs was charged by the police for possesing illegal knifes, that was when politicians found out that they had made a whole heap of errors in the law regardinf knifes, and had to start making changes.

Shane Walsh and wrat1 like this.
  3. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

I know two guys who shot themselves at the start of divorce. I think they couldn't take the financial ruin after working their entire life and then have the judge give it all to the wife. Sometimes when a man is real pissed off he should stay away from guns.

4. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

6. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

So... It's perpetually too soon to talk about guns.

Piobaire, MeAgain and stormountainman like this.
  7. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

8. stormountainman

The Republicans will do that when they run out of Bull talking points material about gun rights.

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

10. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

1 in 3 support "Thoughts and Prayers"

stormountainman and Flagme15 like this.
  11. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

maximum-effective-range-ofthoughts-and-prayers-zero-fuckingmeters-13571136.png

12. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

No, and yes.

13. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

14. stormountainman

The only good gun is a dead gun.

soulcompromise likes this.
  15. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

There's something in the mentality around ownership that needs massive adjustment.

16. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

You know; everybody's imaginary friend with superpowers that lives up in the sky.

batgod.jpg

17. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

Reprise
    Going to a gunfight? The average civilian firefight involves three rounds at a range of three meters. Really need a weapon for self defense? .357 or 1911A1, not a high-cap assault rifle or a hand-held version of same.
    Going deer hunting? Pro tip; deer don't shoot back. Any modern variant of the 03A3 or Mauser 98 with a blind box magazine and three rounds. Can't bag a deer with three rounds? Go home and play Nintendo.
    Upland bird hunting? Side-by-side or over-and-under, your choice. If it's still flying after two rounds, it's out of range; firing a semi-auto or pump at it like an anti-aircraft gun won't help.
    Want to Rambo-cosplay and carry an assault rifle? There's a recruitin' sergeant in that little office next to the Shop n' Save who'd just love to hook you up.
    Look, ma; gun ownership with no assault weapons!

Ban civilian ownership of weapons of mass death.
    Register them.
    License them.
    De jure locked storage with ammo stored separately.
    "Red Flag" laws.
    Simple common sense.

18. stormountainman

Aside from the 2nd Amendment truckload of arguments, I saw a striking similarity with the topic of right to own something dangerous, after what happened in Houston of Texas. It seems some dude thought he had a right to own and keep a Bengal Tiger in his house. And wouldn't you know, the tiger got out and was roaming residential streets and back-yards. I can hear Republicans scream: But ... but no one in Texas has ever been eaten by a Bengal tiger! Well, now is a good time to point out that the issue of Public Safety is what covers this topic. Through out legal history in America, courts have developed reasoning in case law. They always rule on the side of public safety. Yes you have a right to own a pet; however, you don't have a right to endanger others with your pet ... or your toy gun. I know a man who bought a Python when it was little. He kept it in a big glass former aquarium. He fed the thing rabbits. A few years later it attacked him when he went to clean the cage/aquarium. He had put the snake on the living room floor so he could work. It sprang on him from behind and coiled itself faster than he could think what to do. The snake started to squeeze. He finally was able to hook the tail on one of the legs of his sofa. Then, he got free and immediately got rid of the snake. Some animals are just too dangerous to keep at home. The same could be said about guns. An accidental discharge involving today's very powerful combat people killing calibers could hurt people inside the home, or go through the wall and kill others in the next home. Public safety needs to be weighed in contrast with the gun owner's desires.

Flagme15, MeAgain and granite45 like this.
  19. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

Excellent points, Storm. I believe the guy is a trump supporter, also.

20. stormountainman

They will soon start teaching Trumpian Psychology in college. We need experts to understand how they become victims of BS and Foxitis.

scratcho and Flagme15 like this.